• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Started by Lex87, 2010.03.26, 23:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex87

WOW! OS/2 is still kicking?!

I remember my dad loved OS/2! He had a BBS that he ran from it and he would always brag about how lean OS/2 was for his needs..

Recently I've been trying out new things and then I found this site and suddenly want to try OLD things!

It would be fun/learning challenge to take some of the company's old laptops we have and try some various software on them. Who knows there might be something we could re-use because of a lighter OS?
You know when you've been online too long when...You say BRB because you're going somewhere.

Fahrvenugen

Welcome! (or welcome back is maybe what I should say?)

Yes, OS/2 is still going, its like the bunny in that battery commercial... it just keeps going and going and going...

As for older hardware, it does quite well on older hardware.  I've got an old laptop (a P2 - 366, 256MB RAM, 10 GB HD) that has Warp 4 on it, it runs quite nicely.

The main thing that lags from time to time is running Firefox and the older Openoffice 1.1.5 (the odin based one), it seems that those apps like a faster processor.  They do run, just a little slower then I'm used to.

As for servers, I've got one client with a dual processor P3 (a 10 or so year old Compaq Proliant) with 1 GB memory running as an FTP / Web / MySQL / and file (via Samba) server.  It regularly runs circles performance wise around a much beefier P4 based server (running a different OS) that is also at that site.

Pete

Hi Lex87

OS/2 is definitely still kicking - not only that but eComStation (an OEM version of OS/2 see www.ecomstation.com) can be installed on much more current hardware.

Have fun with your old laptops  :-)

Regards

Pete

DougB

QuoteThe main thing that lags from time to time is running Firefox and the older Openoffice 1.1.5 (the odin based one), it seems that those apps like a faster processor.  They do run, just a little slower then I'm used to.

The problem is not the processor speed (although that does have some effect), it is the amount of real memory. Those applications need a lot of memory to run, so they end up paging all of the time. That significantly slows everything, but they are still usable, as long as you stay away from complicated web sites, or large files.