• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How (again) to run Firefox, TB at same time

Started by warpcafe, 2010.04.20, 13:02:12

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Folks,

after years (decades!) of running Mozilla suite (SeaMonkey) I finally decided that it was time to say bye-bye and use Firefox and Thunderbird instead. My grown ignorance against separate applications now pays back in the form of having to face well-known (and -AFAIK- already solved) issues. I need help here - just 2 short questions:

Q1:
What was it again that I need to do in order to make Firefox and SeaMonkey run at the same time (I don't know if they are built on the same DLL-Level... BTW)

Q2:
In case Firefox doesn't import my saved passwords and stuff... is there a way of doing this "programmatically"? I wouldn't even mind playing around "manually" with profile data from SeaMonkey, so if that is the way to go - don't be afraid to tell me ;)

TIA
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

ivan

Hi Thomas,

First up, do you have a mozprofiles dir that is separate to your seamonkey dir?  If so then I think all your settings will be preserved and it should be possible to point firefox to the necessary profile.

Sorry I can't say anything about Thunderbird - I use PMMail, it stops all the html garbage that usually makes up the bulk of the spam filtered junk that I have to wade through every week just in case.

If no one can give you the definitive answers I will install Seamonkey on our test machine and see what happens and let you know.

ivan

warpcafe

Ivan,

thanks. Yes I have a separate directory for my profile data... it's set by using the environment variable mozilla_home (IIRC, the box is at home...).

I should perhaps have mentioned that right now I am _not _ able to run Ffx and TB at the same time :) (gives an error message).

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

The Blue Warper

Hi, Thomas,

I wanted to post this earlier, but I got no time, sorry!
As for your issue, this piece of info has been 'sitting' in the OS/2 Mozilla apps readme for years, so I simply copy and paste it here:

Running multiple versions concurrently
--------------------------------------

If you want to run more than one copy of Firefox, you have to use the
-no-remote parameter or set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 in your environment.

Because various members of the Mozilla family (i.e. SeaMonkey, Mozilla, Firefox,
Thunderbird, IBM Web Browser) may use different, incompatible versions of the
same DLL, some extra steps may be required to run them concurrently.

One workaround is the LIBPATHSTRICT variable. To run Firefox one can create
a CMD script like the following example (where an installation of Firefox
in the directory d:\internet\firefox is assumed):

set LIBPATHSTRICT=T
   rem The next line may be needed when a different Mozilla program is listed in LIBPATH
   rem set BEGINLIBPATH=d:\internet\firefox
   rem The next line is only needed to run two versions of the same program
   rem set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
   d:
   cd d:\internet\firefox
   firefox.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Similarly, one can create a program object to start Firefox using the
following settings:

Path and file name: *
   Parameters:         /c set LIBPATHSTRICT=T & .\firefox.exe "%*"
   Working directory:  d:\internet\firefox

(One might need to add MOZ_NO_REMOTE and/or BEGINLIBPATH as in the CMD script
above depending on the system configuration.)

Finally, the simplest method is to use the Run! utility by Rich Walsh that can
be found in the Hobbes Software Archive:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=Run!

Read its documentation for more information.

I can confirm that the above method works fine, as I have the same setup myself too.

Hope this helps.  Regards.

warpcafe

Hey Blue Warper,

you saved the day! :) Thanks a ton. Indeed, I remember that I already had read it SOMEWHERE and some time ago... but I assumed it to be some website. Somehow I was unable to remember where it was... but now got it. You're right - it was in the readmes.
( Sometimes, things are really too simple... )

Again, thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

The Blue Warper

Hi, Thomas!
Glad to read that what I posted was what you were looking for!  Have a nice day!

RobertM

Maybe we should turn this into an article?

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

warpcafe

Rob,

unless this was an ironic comment ;) ... good idea!
Let me see when I'll be able to spend some time on the hands-on work and I'll make sure we'll get an how-to out of it. Deal?

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Quote from: warpcafe on 2010.04.21, 20:23:11
Rob,

unless this was an ironic comment ;) ... good idea!
Let me see when I'll be able to spend some time on the hands-on work and I'll make sure we'll get an how-to out of it. Deal?

Cheers,
Thomas

Deal - and no irony in my suggestion. I think it's a great idea to have a buncha "How To's" to help other users tweak their OS/2 and app combinations, or allow them to get around certain limitations (like gMail's new flash attachment upload feature).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

melf

And don't forget this eminent page for "every-question-about-mozilla-on-os2", http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

/Mikael

warpcafe

Hi Mikael,

Quote from: melf on 2010.04.22, 10:28:31
And don't forget this eminent page for "every-question-about-mozilla-on-os2", http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Yep. I would say the "almost-" every-question... website since I turned there as the first place to get support but to my surprise didn't find the solution. ;) Funny enough, I recommended that site to someone asking for assistance in removing a crashing extension (calendar.xpi) in another thread here. So, yes, I know that site and I agree that it's the absolute #1 place to go for... (besides -as I just learned- do 'RTFM' and look at the readmes first :) ).

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

abwillis

melf

Quote from: warpcafe on 2010.04.22, 15:14:49
Hi Mikael,

Quote from: melf on 2010.04.22, 10:28:31

Yep. I would say the "almost-" every-question... website since I turned there as the first place to get support but to my surprise didn't find the solution. ;) Funny enough, I recommended that site to someone asking for assistance in removing a crashing extension (calendar.xpi) in another thread here. So, yes, I know that site and I agree that it's the absolute #1 place to go for... (besides -as I just learned- do 'RTFM' and look at the readmes first :) ).
Cheers,
Thomas

And maybe RTFWSC  ;)  (read the fucking web sites carefully)

/Mikael

warpcafe

Hej, : :D

...yes, but I prefer the version from the readme (it was also the one I remebered and that's why I thought the website was _not_ the one I was searching for) although it surely does the trick too. ;)

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

LoL Mikael,

You're correct... but if we maintain such a set of articles here (with all the links mentioned), it'll help those who dont. Something about guys and not reading instructions before they plod onwards... I mean... I dont ever do that... really... (ummm... dont look at my question history in my posts)... ok, I guess I am guilty of that too...  ;D

But seriously though... I think it's still a good idea, whether because people dont read the instructions, dont see the instructions or so on. In some cases, I've had to dig for them (since there isnt always a standard place to find them, especially on some *nix ports where the default readme is *nix specific and one must find the OS/2 specific notes and instructions).

And of course, it does help make this place THE "Find anything and everything OS/2 related" site.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|