• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eComStation 2.0 GA is near - May 14

Started by miturbide, 2010.04.24, 01:44:04

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/19867/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Friday, 23 April 2010

The new is . .. .

It is on OSNews too, if anybody want to add some comments there.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

BigWarpGuy

It is good to see a site announce 2.0 of eCS. I am looking forward to it being released. I have a notebook and a netbook that I want to try eCS 2.0 on.  8)

RobertM

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

lwriemen

I think thanks also need to go to you, RobertM, for putting in a lot of effort fighting the FUD and ignorance on Slashdot!  :)

Hopefully, you managed to educate some people as well.

RobertM

Quote from: lwriemen on 2010.04.27, 21:01:45
I think thanks also need to go to you, RobertM, for putting in a lot of effort fighting the FUD and ignorance on Slashdot!  :)

Hopefully, you managed to educate some people as well.

Thanks... just doing my part. One of the stories I did not mention, (a quite sad one), was that during the time Walter Koenig's son Andrew was missing, my friend Patty Wright (who maintains Walter's site) was constantly updating Walter's site with info in hopes people would find Andrew. The site made the news and a bunch of websites... Yahoo (her current host) ended up bombing and serving errors instead of web pages. We moved the main page to my LDGW server (the Quad 550MHz server) during those peak visits... the poor server was still very bored even at 500 requests a second... I did finally hit about 10%-12% CPU utilization though. Then, things peaked even higher (about 700 requests per second) and the server was still flying until we ran out of outgoing bandwidth. We were reaching about 120% of what our promised max was (it's nice knowing our promised max is actually lower than what is delivered)... of course, since incoming web requests to a web server take 1/10th (or less) the bandwidth as outgoing, eventually the server had not enough bandwidth to shove the responses out on. That finally caused a problem as OS/2 tried buffering all it could until it ran out of buffer space.

I wish I had a faster connection, as it would have been interesting to find the server's limit instead of reaching our outgoing bandwidth limit  long before the server even knew it was actually doing work.

The traffic subsided over about two hours (with it going below our bandwidth limit in about 30-40 minutes) and then fell off pretty quickly after that... in total, in the span of less than half a day (maybe 8 hours or so) the LDGW box served over 40,000 requests (at least per Google Analytics) without breaking a sweat, with no special caching enabled and with a measly four 550MHz Pentium III Xeon CPUs powering the whole affair.

Oh what I would do for a 64bit kernel with that beautiful scheduler (and the subsequent increase in available memory and threads), and an up to date web server daemon that utilized threads as well as LDGW. I fear it would take something like the RS/6000 line to compete with it.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Honestly though folks... with current SINGLE CPUs being far more powerful than the FOUR Xeon III's in my Netfinity, and with IIS and Windows Server 2008 not being able to handle that sorta traffic on a new machine with such little CPU usage, can you really blame people for some of the FUD they spread?

The reality in the Windows world makes stories such as mine in the last post seem like total and utter nonsense.

We took over the koenigsite hosting late on the night of the 25th into the 26th... so the traffic numbers are skewed across those two days... even though they didnt span an entire day.

Seriously... if you've never run OS/2 to do such a task... would YOU believe such a story?

(sorry the second pic is so blurry... at this point, which is right after we took over the web serving, the server was at about 387 requests per second... at it's normal "background" CPU usage of near nothing (4%-10%) - and you can barely make out that the server had already peaked at near 500rps. And of course, none of the above mentions the fact that the server also runs MySQL, Weasel, FTP (the Star Trek New Voyages production server - tranferring gigabytes a day), is the domain controller and much more, including monitoring various customer eCS servers for uptime every 5 minutes)

OH... keep in mind that a page view is (for this page) is equal to FIVE to SIX requests (index.html, 5 images, and favicon.ico) - meaning at a minimum, over 200,000 requests were served during this time frame.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Robert,

Why do you think we've kept with OS/2 since we started with v2.1?  It just gets on with the job.

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2010.04.28, 00:32:30
Robert,

Why do you think we've kept with OS/2 since we started with v2.1?  It just gets on with the job.

I know... but how do we sound even remotely believable comparing it to other alternatives when such stories sound so insanely impossible?!?!  ;D  ;)

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

StefanZ

RobertM,

thank you for a great Slashdot review (and for keeping the fire burning for the "outside" world to look how the real computing works).
The harsh truth is that the outside (Win* ) world forgot how the "real" computing should look like....

...so the way you you put it... it seems that we are the ones of the few that keep the fire burning... but we take this quest with pride ;), and moreover, looking forward to "Fire" v2.0 GA :D

calmssea

I knida remember runningmy site over a dual PIII400 in the "days" without sweating too much...with LVM spanned disk (cause we were poor, we had to attach a disk at a time ;) )

It's good to hear 2.0GA is only a few step away.

I am sure it will not be replacing my company's XEN and hundreds of VM's, but I am, at least going to add a box to work as a local gateway or last resort server for sure. ;)

melf

Quote from: StefanZ on 2010.04.28, 01:37:31
RobertM,
thank you for a great Slashdot review (and for keeping the fire burning for the "outside" world to look how the real computing works).

Yep, thanks Robert, I also really enjoy to read your postings there.
/Mikael

Mentore

Quote from: RobertM on 2010.04.28, 00:35:39
Quote from: ivan on 2010.04.28, 00:32:30
Robert,

I know... but how do we sound even remotely believable comparing it to other alternatives when such stories sound so insanely impossible?!?!  ;D  ;)

Indeed those stories sounds like hoax to any Windows user :)

I sent an e-mail to a well-known Italian online IT magazine (punto-informatico.it), I'll look forward to see if anything appears on its pages. I also sent an eCS Silver Release review some weeks ago on HAX (another magazine, more biased on open source software).

Just some efforts to let the "outside world" know OS/2 is still alive and great.

Mentore

RobertM

Thanks all!

Our very own Martin (miturbide) deserves the grand share of the credit though. He's managed to do something that has rarely ever been achieved by others - he managed to get the story (an OS/2 Story!!!) posted to Slashdot!!!! I'd have had nothing to post if it werent for his excellent submission.

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|