• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Sungworld 89001A

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2010.05.07, 08:44:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Hardware:
8.9" LCD @ 1024x600 @ 32bpp 60hz
VIA VX800 Chipset
VIA C7-M 1.6ghz
2gb DDR2 533mhz
8gb Sandisk SSD

Sound:
VT1708A (Azalia HDAC)
*Supported by Uniaud

Wired Networking:
Realtek 8101E/8102E
VENDOR/DEVICE: 10EC/8136
*Not working in GenMac 2.20 UNSUPPORTED
*Will load, crash when Ethernet cable is inserted

Wireless Networking: (160a:3184)
VIA VT6656 USB 802.11g
*Not working, driver source available
*USB not yet supported in GenMac

Multimedia Card Reader: (0bda:0158)
*Not Working

VX800 Graphics:
640x480 & 800x600 @ 256 color,16bpp,32bpp
*No native resolution using Panorama
*Not able to add 1024 600 32 0 to SNAP using gamode with noncert on

USB Touchpad:
Horribly glitchy, impossible to use with AMOUSE
(First time I've ever seen anything like this)
Synaptics Touchpad. Works under Windows/Linux/Haiku without driver

USB Webcam: (eb1a:2771)
eMPIA 2771
*Not working, linux Driver/Source available. Supports many cams.

---------------------
It sorta almost mostly works, and I feel like the Wired and Wireless NIC issues can be worked around as VIA is pretty generous with driver version availability (the files are in folders and don't NEED to be installed and then extracted from a Windows partition) and oftentimes have the full driver source available as well.

The REPORT.txt file was from the RC7 install hardware detection.

Saijin_Naib

Further Issues with RC7:
If more than 2 GenMac adapters are selected for install the HWMERGE error will occur and when trying to break with CTRL+C, it will cause the Install to Fail (during Phase 1).

[After HWMerge issue in Phase 1 (but only 1 GenMAC adapter so it will proceed)]
When every package is selected to install, the second phase of install will fail with an error about not being able to install KLIBC.

CTRL + and CTRL - do NOT change the text size on the installer as stated.

Keyboard navigation during install is poor. How can Tree Nodes [ + ] be expanded by the keyboard? Left/Right don't work, neither does SPACE nor ENTER nor any other key I tried.

(I'm trying to find if these issues have been resolved in the BugTracker but I don't know how to search. I'll be re-testing when 2.0GA launches and will post these then if not resolved).

rwklein

Well I will test *after* GA but the claim that 3 genmac drivers make hwmerge can find a reason. For the simple reason that hwmerge.cmd does nothing with NIC support, mpts.rsp, protocol.ini or genmac itself. What is more likely is that it was hanging on the code of cpuid.exe and/or pciscan.exe. But this is resolved in eComStation 2.0 GA.

The kblic stuff don't know.

Saijin_Naib

Certainly Roderick. I intend to get 2.0 GA installed on it and post any bugs and issues I find. Is the instlog.zip the only thing I need to provide to give you and your team information?

eCS runs brilliantly fast on my netbook and the battery life is about what I get from Linux/w7/Haiku [about 2.5hr] despite the fact that I doubt it is speed-scaling my processor as it is a VIA C7-M and I never heard they were supported for dynamic throttling under eCS/Warp.

I really hope to see much of the VIA hardware supported in eCS as almost all of it has Linux Drivers with source and documentation. I feel like this makes VIA hardware a very important platform for eCS to target as we could have a native Hardware-Accelerated graphics chipset that is found in many destop/laptop/netbook/embedded devices.

Saijin_Naib

For use in http://svn.netlabs.org/acpi/ticket/308
I've tried out some of the ACPI tools and on the 3.17 version it looks as if it can support speed throttling on the VIA C7-M! This is great news. Does it dynamically change speeds based upon load (like Linux/Win/etc) or do you just set a clockspeed and leave it?

Saijin_Naib

eCS 2.0GA install goes over brilliantly. However, the audio is still not detected as Uniaud despite being supported.

LAN/Display/WLAN/Mouse/Card Reader all still have massive issues.

Mouse: Emailed people who make AMouse. Never received reply. Under Linux/Windows, its a standard Synaptics touchpad. Not sure why it behaves so poorly.

Card Reader: USB MSC device, requires driver. Source available.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Is the USB card reader internal or external?

Is it a USB 1 or 2 or 3 device?

If 3 I doubt if there is any support yet. Maybe the USB stack rumoured to be in development will support USB3...

If it is 1 or 2 and built to USB spec it should not need any extra drivers.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Its an internal USB card reader, VIA MSP Card Reader. It requires drivers under windows and works under Linux, but I can't find the source for it at present.

Saijin_Naib

Wait a minute guys, if Realtek provides a DOS driver with a .NIF, should the 8101e Wired then work?

Testing now :D

Nope, can't load the .DOS file. Also, still can't get the 8101e drivers working in GenMac :\

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Sounds like the card reader needs an os2 version of the driver used by Windows/linux.

I'm not familiar with Realtek nics but thought that the rtsnd.os2, rtl8139.nif supported the 8101nic as well. I guess you will have tried that though...

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Here are two zipped folders with what I believe is necessary for the GenMac driver to work properly with the rtl8101e and the VNTW6656USB.

Both folders have the files identified by Windows Xp as in use for the hardware, the *.inf file pertaining to them, and an export of the registry node that defines them and their settings.

Can anyone else tell me what needs to be done now? The instructions on the ecomstation.ru site are either vague, Engrish, or just downright confusing.

Saijin_Naib

Using the RTL8101e files from above, I've been able to get GenMac to load for my Wired NIC.
However, as soon as I plug the Ethernet cable into the NIC, the computer will hard freeze.

Attached is the W10ECx8136.NIF file for the RTL8101e.

Saijin_Naib

If I shut down the netbook, remove the battery, press the power button (and I guess clear any left over power/ACPI info) and turn it back on, the mouse will behave properly. But, only for that one time.

Raiko

Did you check gmane.org.netlabs.genmac.user?
news://news.gmane.org:119/loom.20080719T203157-131@post.gmane.org
Seems like he got it to work with a patched RTL8169 driver.                                 

Saijin_Naib

No, I dont have a way to read that news server. I have to use the HTTP interface which frankly is crap. Can you link me to the patched driver or whatever?