• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS 2.0 to be released at Warpstock Europe

Started by Blonde Guy, 2010.04.03, 02:00:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde Guy

This newsletter appeared on the eComStation yahoo group.

http://shop.mensys.nl/mailings/20100401/newsletter.html

Apparently the press release isn't quite ready, but I'm optimistic that eCS 2.0 is finally coming out.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2010.04.03, 02:00:23
This newsletter appeared on the eComStation yahoo group.

http://shop.mensys.nl/mailings/20100401/newsletter.html

Apparently the press release isn't quite ready, but I'm optimistic that eCS 2.0 is finally coming out.

did they mention _which_ Warpstock it will be released at? 2010 or 2011 :)

warpcafe

Hi all,

it reads "We will be presenting the GA version of eComStation 2.0 at Warpstock Europe 2010 (see below) and hope it will meet the expectations of those that have been patiently waiting all this time! "

...well. Personally I feel they should not have picked the first of April for releasing this news... that could perhaps lead to some misunderstanding. ;) Am curious.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

BigWarpGuy

I am looking forward to it being released.  8) It would be neater if it was released sooner (for those who might not be able to make it to the Warpstocks). :)

Nebpehtira

I hope that ECS2 has a selectable GUI for a "classic" mode. One thing I'm looking forward to when I get Warp 4 running is the simple interface compared to Windows

Saijin_Naib

It better install EASILY over USB from USB CD/USB Flash Drive/USB Media (SD/MMC/CompactFlash).
Better yet, I want a USB bootable image ala Haiku/Linux.

BigWarpGuy

I want an USB bootable version too.  8) It would make it easier to install onto a netbook.

coxy

Saijin neither Linux in it's many flavours or haiku are perfect,test installs of many versions of Linux without going under the hood and using hard earned knowledge result in almost 50 percent of cases in installation failure.
No matter how they push it Linux in many builds is not yet ready for mainstream.
The one version of Linux that seems to follow the coding methodology of EcomStation to some extent and tends to work is Puppy Linux a compact efficient version which remembers it's roots unlike so many Linux windows clones that are now bloatware.
This is why Windows still has the major installed base for many it just works.
IBM's OS2 however has superior attributes but is lacking in the sheer numbers of coders working on keeping it up to date,this is not necessarily bad in every case.
If I was so personally desperate for something I would either sponsor it's development or learn how to code it unless I am mistaken nothing has actually changed in how machine or Assembly code works since the days of the Abacus,My wish list for EcomStation is just make it work and for no code bloat as this aspect alone is vital for stability something which is the cornerstone of a good OS2 Install.
Bring on GA 2.0 my Warp 4.52 is getting due for a refresh with later hardware and EcomStation is the preferred base for that.

Saijin_Naib

Never said they were perfect, but they install readily on my varied hardware here and other than some display driver issues in Linux I've been very happy with both. I was just pointing out that both OSes have USB bootable images that work quite easily on every machine I've thrown them at.

Also, Unetbootin is a fantastic tool to make USB bootable images for Linux distro CD rom images or Floppy images. We should have a tool like this for eCS if Mensys/Serenity will not/can not make USB stick images for us.

StefanZ

As a matter of coincidence, I migrated to Linux on my work notebook something like 2..2,5 months ago.
...and used Unetbootin to create a bootable flash drive for installation.

While installing Linux I realized we would desperately need such a tool on eCS, so I created a support ticket (0002754) for this.
This would also be especially useful for testing all the beta and RC versions of eCS that might (and will) come out in the near future.

So take it as "already requested" :)

Saijin_Naib

Excellent Stefan! Did you mention that it should be available for more than one platform (this tool)? It would make it very frustrating to use if it was OS/2 only and you had to have a working OS/2 install to make a working OS/2 install Image if you get what I'm saying :P