• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

The Warpstock Europe 2010 presentations are available

Started by miturbide, 2010.05.24, 17:18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/19934/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Monday, 24 May 2010

The Warpstock. .. .

The Mensys presentation is quite interesting.

http://www.warpstock.eu/uploads/tx_wseevents/wse2010_ecomstation20.pdf

The points that interested me more was:

• "New NIC drivers. Port of Linux e1000 and e1000e source code to eComStation. Check http://svn.ecomstation.nl (not publicly visible yet)
  • Genmac future. Phone call with Willibald Meyer. Indicates he will provide information to Steve Levine.
  • "Community news, Silvan Scherrer will present a road map for Java, Virtualbox. (Mensys will co-fund)"
  • "Thanks David Azarewicz for Uniaud fixes. Paul Smedley will resume UNIAUD32 ports."

About the Java port it will be great to have more details. Is it going to be a Odinized Java port, or OpenJDK port?

There are also other interesting presentation to read. It is very worthy for everyone to take a look at the PDF presentations for the people that wasn't present at WarpStock.

PS: Sigurd, your presentation was the best ;)

I just remember I need to update the Games Site.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

warpcafe

Hi,

Quote from: miturbide on 2010.05.24, 17:18:54

• Genmac future. Phone call with Willibald Meyer. Indicates he will provide information to Steve Levine.

I hate to say this, but thought it would make sense to tell you:
As I have understood from the German os2.org forum, there seems to be largely different viewpoints on this between Willibald Meyer and Mensys. Between the lines, my impression is that Willibald Meyer will NOT open-source anything to Mensys. If netlabs could make a difference here I don't know. I guess if you ask either person involved here, you get a couple of different responses.
Bottom line: Better don't expect great changes to the status quo of GenMac...

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

chennecke

Quote from: warpcafe on 2010.05.25, 13:47:23
Quote from: miturbide on 2010.05.24, 17:18:54

I hate to say this, but thought it would make sense to tell you:
As I have understood from the German os2.org forum, there seems to be largely different viewpoints on this between Willibald Meyer and Mensys. Between the lines, my impression is that Willibald Meyer will NOT open-source anything to Mensys. If netlabs could make a difference here I don't know. I guess if you ask either person involved here, you get a couple of different responses.

As far as I understand it, it's not a matter of perspective as in Willibald Meyer vs. Mensys. The situation rather seems to be:

• As for opening the code, the point is not to whom code may be given but whether it will happen at all. And Mensys would be completely fine with giving it to netlabs.org.
  • There seems to be quite a difference between the viewpoints of Willibald Meyer as announced by third parties (not Mensys) and those reported by people who have talked to him personally.

Since we all depend on second-hand information, there's no bullet-proof conclusion and we can only rely on indicators and own experiences for now. Said third parties have been constantly flaming Mensys and their product in the German forums for almost a year now. What began as a rather constructive discussion I happily contributed to degraded into an increasingly aggressive, violative, and destructive campaign that has even managed to put off people who agreed with their (IMO) more valid points. "Ceterum censeo Cathargo esse delendam" combined with "if you are not for us, you are evil" style stuff, you know? That added to the "fun" I had with one of those persons myself... well, I am wary. (And yes, I do work for Mensys part-time.)

warpcafe

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

chennecke

Quote from: warpcafe on 2010.05.25, 18:49:44
Hi,

well... I agree:
Delenda carthago! :)

Weeell, that has already been taken care of.  ::)