• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS 2.0 Home/Student vers Business edition

Started by craigm, 2010.05.20, 15:14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

Anyone know the difference between the two, I looked at the Mensys shop and could not find any difference besides the price  :)

Also anyone know what is in the mediapack? Just not a lot of info yet and I do want to purchace the right version. Thanks!

Oznis

The following taken from the Mensys site:

The Home & Student version can be used by any private or small office user. As a private or small office user, it is allowed to have up to 5 licenses installed for production usage. This version includes 6 months of Software Subscription Services.

If more than 5 licenses are needed, it is required to purchase the Business Edition. The Business Edition includes 12 months of Software Subscription Services. Volume discounts are available for the Business Edition.

The optional eComStation 2.0 mediapack consist of:
    * installation CD
    * bonus applications CD
    * OpenOffice.org 3.1 for eComStation CD
    * installation guide.

What I haven't found yet, is how existing software subscription customers can download.  A new customer can purchase and get digital delivery.

Pete

Hi Oznis

Quote from: Oznis on 2010.05.20, 16:05:58

What I haven't found yet, is how existing software subscription customers can download.  A new customer can purchase and get digital delivery.

I asked this question on the os2-uk mailing list and had this reply from Mike:-

"I asked Menso de Joeng whether they expected our .ISO download links to be processed this week or next, late last evening my time, and I got a response three hours later (just after I had shutdown) where he said he expected this week, as they were working around the clock.

So sit back and relax until you get your notification and Key!"

So, looks like we simply have to wait while Software Subscription records are checked.

If we have not heard anything in a couple of weeks I guess we would then need to contact Mensys and ask what is going on.

Regards

Pete

Fahrvenugen

I'm trying to understand the licensing here (maybe Roderick can clarify).

For the home/student, it indicates it is up to 5 licenses.  Does this mean that if I purchase the Home / Student version, I can install (and use concurrently) it on up to 5 different computers (which would bring down the licensing cost significantly - $149 / 5 = $29.80 per computer), or would I have to purchase 1 home / student license for each computer, and I can only purchase a maximum of 5 of those licenses before I am considered a "business"?

The same question could be considered for the business edition of eCS.

In the past my understanding is that I'd need to purchase 1 license for each computer I had OS/2 installed on (with the exception that you could previously have eCS installed on both a laptop and desktop under the same license), and I have generally made sure I had a valid eCS or OS/2 license for each machine I run the system on (at my house I've got my desktop and laptop with eCS 1.2MR, and 2 machines running as servers - one with Warp 4 and the other with Warp 3).

Similarly, if I'm purchasing the Upgrade from Warp 4 version, do I just need 1 copy of Warp 4 and then I'm able to install it on up to 5 machines, or would I need 5 copies of Warp 4?

I'm also looking at this from the standpoint of a few organizations I work with, where I have some OS/2 installs up and running server apps.  If / when the hardware I'm running stuff on gets upgraded, I'll likely end up upgrading to eCS 2.0.  It'll make a difference if I'm purchasing 1 license and then legally allowed to install it on more then 1 computer (up to the license max of course) or if I'll have to purchase multiple licenses.

hecom

Hi
I don't undestand why we (SSS) must wait to download GA.
There are only missing link to GA instead of RC7.
Where is the problem if we have privilege to download new version of ECS?
Regards
Davorin

CDRWSel

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2010.05.20, 20:12:01
I'm trying to understand the licensing here (maybe Roderick can clarify).

For the home/student, it indicates it is up to 5 licenses.  Does this mean that if I purchase the Home / Student version, I can install (and use concurrently) it on up to 5 different computers (which would bring down the licensing cost significantly - $149 / 5 = $29.80 per computer), or would I have to purchase 1 home / student license for each computer, and I can only purchase a maximum of 5 of those licenses before I am considered a "business"?

The same question could be considered for the business edition of eCS.

In the past my understanding is that I'd need to purchase 1 license for each computer I had OS/2 installed on (with the exception that you could previously have eCS installed on both a laptop and desktop under the same license), and I have generally made sure I had a valid eCS or OS/2 license for each machine I run the system on (at my house I've got my desktop and laptop with eCS 1.2MR, and 2 machines running as servers - one with Warp 4 and the other with Warp 3).

Similarly, if I'm purchasing the Upgrade from Warp 4 version, do I just need 1 copy of Warp 4 and then I'm able to install it on up to 5 machines, or would I need 5 copies of Warp 4?

I'm also looking at this from the standpoint of a few organizations I work with, where I have some OS/2 installs up and running server apps.  If / when the hardware I'm running stuff on gets upgraded, I'll likely end up upgrading to eCS 2.0.  It'll make a difference if I'm purchasing 1 license and then legally allowed to install it on more then 1 computer (up to the license max of course) or if I'll have to purchase multiple licenses.

From what I could read and check on mensys, it is your first idea which is the right one for me.
Once you have ordered and paied the home/student version, you can install this product on up to 5 machines and yes, the price is then very competitive...
Your second idea has no sense for me which can be resumed to one machine = one license.   

Paul Smedley

Quote from: hecom on 2010.05.20, 21:20:34
Hi
I don't undestand why we (SSS) must wait to download GA.
There are only missing link to GA instead of RC7.
Where is the problem if we have privilege to download new version of ECS?

You also need a new license key - the one you sed for the RC's was a 1.2 license code, you need a new 2.0 one.

hecom

Hi Paul
I ask to Mensys what's meaning this:
"If you have previously bought Software Subscription Services, you are entitled to receive the GA version of eComStation 2.0, even the subscription expired.",
and how I can download GA, but I don't receive the answer yet.
What is about the new licence, must we to ask or buy it? From who and where?
I have bought WARP3, 4, ECS1.2, two SSS, and I will buy GA if Mensys don't delivery this version to the costumer with valid Software Subscription Services, but I need that Mensys clarify this.
Regards
Davorin

lewhoo

I just registered in mensys and ordered my copy of ecs. I was to get an email within 15 minutes. After an hour... nothing. That doesn't seem professional.

BigWarpGuy

I just ordered eCS 2.0. I will check my e-mail later. I am glad it is out now.  8)

lewhoo

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2010.05.21, 17:55:32
I just ordered eCS 2.0. I will check my e-mail later. I am glad it is out now.  8)

I am also glad. However I am disappointed with this download timing, for I'd like to play with it as fast as possible ;)
And not allowing me to download this before weekend means that probably I'll be able to play with it a week later. A week by which my software subscription supplied with ECS should be extended  :P

Paul Smedley

Quote from: lewhoo on 2010.05.21, 17:59:36
Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2010.05.21, 17:55:32

I am also glad. However I am disappointed with this download timing, for I'd like to play with it as fast as possible ;)
And not allowing me to download this before weekend means that probably I'll be able to play with it a week later. A week by which my software subscription supplied with ECS should be extended  :P

Just got my eCS 2.0 registration key & download link :)

PAUL555

There was supposed to have been a problem with the initial set of Ecomstation 2.0 GA cds. Has this been fixed in the latest downloadable ISO ? Also, what are the improvements over RC7 ? To purchase at the upgrade price, should there be a previous version of Ecomstation already installed ? Can a fresh install be done with the upgrade version of 2.0 GA ?

Paul

Ben

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2010.05.22, 04:55:56
Just got my eCS 2.0 registration key & download link :)

Favoritism!

That's what it is! 8O

Bloody Ozzy braggart... hehehe.

*winks*

klipp

Yeah!! Them "Aussies" get all the breaks!
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx