• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

uniaud

Started by MikeG, 2007.06.05, 00:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeG

What versions of uniaud are people using and what problems does it cause?

sXwamp

I'm using uniaud RC1 with a sound blaster live 5.1 card on an old SMP box (eCom 1.2R).  Works great for me.  Never could get later releases to produce sound.

Greggory Shaw

MikeG

You never tried the build Paul Smedley did?

Oh, nice clean website and very nice desktop pics. :)

sXwamp

Yes, I tried the build from Paul, but still no sound.   Thanks for the comments!

Greggory Shaw

ChrisR

With later versions of uniaud I put the following line in comfig.sys to make the sound working;

RUN=x:\MMOS2\unimix.exe -id21 -val1

Where x is of course the drive where os2(ecs) is installed and asuming unimix is copied to the mmos2 folder.

obiwan

Quote from: ChrisR on 2007.06.05, 12:30:32
With later versions of uniaud I put the following line in comfig.sys to make the sound working;

Where x is of course the drive where os2(ecs) is installed and asuming unimix is copied to the mmos2 folder.

Thanks for the tip Chris. Can you tell us what hardware you are using for which this makes a difference? If you don't mind, could you try it (both with and without this command) using one of the "stable" "gbo" builds found in ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/uniaud, keeping of course a backup copy of your existing uniaud32.sys?

Pete

Quote from: obiwan on 2007.06.05, 19:45:01

Thanks for the tip Chris. Can you tell us what hardware you are using for which this makes a difference? If you don't mind, could you try it (both with and without this command) using one of the "stable" "gbo" builds found in ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/uniaud, keeping of course a backup copy of your existing uniaud32.sys?

Hi obiwan

If you know where to post an error report on the latest "stable" "gbo" build then Please report that it simply does Not work.

Having installed that uniaud32.sys file and rebooted my sounds no longer work at all.

Hardware involved: nVidia CK-804 and ALC850

Uniaud driver: 114RC2 package updated with ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/uniaud/uniaud32_stable_070602_gbo.zip

Regards

Pete

obiwan

Quote from: Pete on 2007.06.05, 23:59:38

Hi obiwan

If you know where to post an error report on the latest "stable" "gbo" build then Please report that it simply does Not work.

Having installed that uniaud32.sys file and rebooted my sounds no longer work at all.

Hardware involved: nVidia CK-804 and ALC850

Uniaud driver: 114RC2 package updated with ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/uniaud/uniaud32_stable_070602_gbo.zip

Hi Pete. The "gbo" driver simply does not work on some hardware, and does work on other hardware. It works on mine, for example. A good place to discuss which hardware does and does not work with it is the uniaud-user at netlabs mailing list. I would suggest reverting to your previous uniaud32.sys or trying a non-"gbo" build.

ChrisR

OK, first of all the gbo don't work, it giving MCI error 5610 .  so no idea if it still needs this unimix command line.

What kind of sound card I'm using is a bit of a story.

I have 3 sound cards, on my main board there is a SIS 7012, I have a SBlive 5.1 and a cmedia CMI8738..
The last one I only use because it has a midi wavetable (MPU) and its the only way to get midi in eCS at the moment, so this one don't really need to produce sound but I need mixer access.
There is not a working midi/FM/Adlib at the moment and tmidity is not OK, it crashes a lot, it does crash firefox all the time and often the WPS.

Anyway for a long time I was using only the sblive in eCS with several uniaud drivers and I managed to connect the wavetable out with some wire inside my PC to the sblive input.
After a certain update of the uniaud driver  (don't know exactly wich one) my sound disapeared completely.
After doing some investigations I noticed soon that it stopped using the sblive as default, it was using the SIS now as default.
The solution was simple, I needed this /C:SBLIVE in the uniaud line and I needed this unimix thing..  but.. now I'm doubting  .. if it was the same parameters with unimix with the sblive.... 
Because since a few months everything is different and I'm using all 3 cards now, I can switch betwen cards and tell every sound program (almost) to use wich card.. I kinda like it this way.. some programs are better with sblive, others with the SIS.. and wel.. the cmedia.. its the same as the SIS actually and maybe its a little to much but its working great..
So my config.sys now looks like this;
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\CMPCI32.SYS /V /M
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\CMPCI16.SYS /V /M /L /A
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\SBLIVE32.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\SBLIVE16.SYS /V /C /M /L /A
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\UNIAUD32.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\UNIAUD16.SYS /V /M /L
As you can see the uniaud is now processing the SIS only and it needs this unimix thing to open the dac sound so I can hear it..
Also the mixers (LBmix) is working great with all 3 cards at the same time and my mixers look like the the pic I'm attaching.
Of course I know uniaud does see all 3 cards also but switching is not easy..  in fact almost impossible at the moment so for now I use 3 different drivers  even al off then are alsi based they use their own device names and don't interfere at all.
Hope this helps ..  I have a sound here now...  I think about 3 times 16 channels..  hmm not sure.. but OK plenty :)

obiwan

Thank you Chris, for sharing the info about your unique and impressive sound setup. I hope you are subscribed to the uniaud-user list, as I may have questions for you later.

ChrisR

No, I'm not subscribed at the uniaud list yet, I could do so, but after about a month.. I'm moving to another house at the 18th of June, so rather busy and probably without net for a while..
But I come back...

ChrisR

I'm moved now, and back online.. so its OK to ask whatever.. let me see about the where of this user list.. but mail is OK as well..

chennecke

Quote from: ChrisR on 2007.06.05, 12:30:32

How did you find out which id to use?

ChrisR

Its not so difficult, just type at a command prompt ;

unimix -list >unilist.txt
unimix -names >uninames.txt

And then have a critical look at unilist.txt  (and uninames.txt)  and things that don't fit should be clear.
For instance DAC enable should not be zero.