• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

single beep at bootup?

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2007.06.13, 21:27:55

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

Every so often, I have a single beep at or during boot up. Now there seems to be write errors for the hard drive. Is there something that can be done or is my hard drive on its way out?  ???

BigWarpGuy

"The INI file, c:\os2\os2sys.ini, can not be written to disk. The updates are being held to automatically retry the operation, but will be lost if the system is shutdown before correcting the problem."  The Disk Error kept popping up every so often. I did a vyrus scan and it kepted indicating disk full. I did a properties on the c: drive (which is 4 gig) and it indicated it was almost totally full. I deleted some files and moved some directories. I hope my solution isn't worse than the problem.  ::)

8)

Pete

Hi Tom

Hopefully you did not delete anything you need.

I would guess that the swapfile is on c: and that it was getting full. Is TEMP also on c:? - a 2nd means of filling up a drive without being noticed.

You could edit config.sys and point the SWAPPATH (and SET TEMP) to another drive:\directory with more room - maybe D:\TEMP to take care of 2 potential diskspace eaters?  :-)

Another possible cause of the problem is accidentally leaving something heavy on the Print screen key. This causes the print spooler to fill up the disk space - but you should either have started getting printouts or error messages about failing to print.

Regards

Pete

BigWarpGuy

I also hoped that nothing important was deleted.  ;D I tried to avoid deleting that looked important.  8) I did change the config.sys so that it looked for the temp directory on the d: drive; which is way bigger than the c: drive. I have the programs directory also on the d: drive and will put future programs in it.  8) 

RobertM

Quote from: Thomas Lee Mullins on 2007.06.15, 01:50:35
"The INI file, c:\os2\os2sys.ini, can not be written to disk. The updates are being held to automatically retry the operation, but will be lost if the system is shutdown before correcting the problem."  The Disk Error kept popping up every so often. I did a vyrus scan and it kepted indicating disk full. I did a properties on the c: drive (which is 4 gig) and it indicated it was almost totally full. I deleted some files and moved some directories. I hope my solution isn't worse than the problem.  ::)

8)

I have found (from personal, painful experience) that in situations like this, you can often have hosed the WPS as the INI files are damaged (since they arent re-written to the disk properly).

If you are sure everything you need to boot is back where it belongs:

• You can try to re-create the INI files... after which you will have to re-install anything that requires them (XWP, etc)
  • You can try to restore the INI files from an archive (assuming you had archiving enabled and a valid archive saved)

One thing that I used to do that created such a situation (with archiving enabled) was saving things (real objects) to the desktop. These get archived every time the machine archives, taking up a lot of space. With 9 archives enabled, a 200MB file takes 1.8GB of space on Drive C.

The other thing I used to do was leave the default TEMP/TMP directory settings in config.sys - which wastes a lot of space when doing almost anything that creates a temp file - such as using Embellish, the sound editor, e-Zip, etc (especially as sometimes these programs and others do not clean up their temp files properly).

Most of my boot drives are usually about 4GB to 10GB. To prevent issues like yours (and other issues that can arise) I do the following:

• Install everything possible on a different drive(s) - (apps, addtl fonts, data files, etc)
  • Move the swapper file to a different drive (supposedly better performance this way as well)
  • Add/Change the TEMP and TMP directory locations in the config.sys file to different drive(s) - (supposedly better performance this way as well)
  • Install all but the core Warp/eCS fonts on a different drive (though I have a few thousand)
  • Never put a real object on the desktop (only shadows and WP-Transient objects)

Hope that helps...

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

BigWarpGuy

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated.