• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Dell Sells Computers Without an Operating System!

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2007.06.26, 02:44:44

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

"Dell Won't Preinstall Ubuntu Linux On Small-Business Computers

The computer maker will sell only the hardware and let small-business customers install the open-source operating system themselves."

By Antone Gonsalves
InformationWeek
Jun 22, 2007 10:14 AM

If they sell computers without an operating system. it could be good news for those who use non-Win os'es?  ??? 

8)

warpcafe

Quote from: Thomas Lee Mullins on 2007.06.26, 02:44:44
If they sell computers without an operating system. it could be good news for those who use non-Win os'es?  ??? 
8)

Yeah. At least it'll save time that otherwise would be needed to "fdisk the windows away"... ;-)
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

kim

Well, at least the M$ Windiws tax would make a fair cut on the price as well. I've even noticed that the Lenovo ThinkPads here in Sweden that delivers with Windows XP are more expensive than the one delivered with Vista; everything to force customers to pick Vista.

warpcafe

Vista? What a #*@&%!!!
I must admit that when XP came out I was kind of "jealous" in matters of the "better looking" UI when compared to out-of-the-box eCS (not to speak of Mac OSX...). But, harhar... now that I first had a look at Vista, I'm feeling pleased. With every Windows flavour coming along, I enjoy my eCS more... :-)

As to the "taxes": I recently noticed that over here in Germany some OEM manufacturers start selling notbeooks with SuSE 10 instead of Windows... wasn't aware of that and found it to be a good idea. Although you never know if they don't pick a tax anyway though a backdoor. They shouldn't be allowed to do so, but with the pretext of "printed manual and nice media"...

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

ChrisR

As far as I know you don't have to accept any windoze version preinstalled, its officially an option like extra ram or a dvd burner ect.
It does safe money or instead of windoze you get extra ram or whatever.
OK in a cash and carry shop they wont.. but then they are below prize already anyway.
In fact, when you do get windoze preinstalled, then you have to get a serial and a CD-DVD.. witch they too often keep a secret.. even the password in the bios they often keep for themselves so you depend totally on them and M$.
People should be more alert and standing on their rights when buying a PC, nobody can force you to buy a OS you don't want..  in fact when you buy a PC say every 2 years then you pay double often for the same windoze.. while in fact M$ is obligated to reset the serial so you can install it on your new machine..
As long as people are not smart and accepting too many things they get away with it..

kim

Might be that it's possible in the US to say no to the pre-installed OS on a Dell, but you're not able to do that in Scandinavian countries. Okey, you're able to return the licens and document that you haven't even started the system - but you either have to have lots of your time on your hands to pull this stunt off.

Also about Vista; I ordered a ThinkPad T60 to my parents last week and it had Vista pre-installed; and it's really interesting to see how many of the marketing features that really fails, i.e. for example:

• Vista boots way faster - No it doesn't, it way slower on this T60 with 1gb memory
  • User Friendly - Ehh no way, my parents finds it harder to get around it the system and all the icons and bells and crap just makes them confused. So after while the asked me to set the system to look like Windows Classic (Win 2000).

It's really like starting from scratch going over to Vista and I wouldn't be surprised if my parents wants me to remove Vista and install XP instead. I kind of think that Microsoft really missed the target with this release when it comes to looks & feels. Working with it.... feel I will really fight to keep my XP on the office system - they have to break my arm or something to force me to follow the new path.

Blonde Guy

Computers that come pre-loaded with Windows have it standard, not as an option. You can't decline. Dell computers with no operating system installed are the same price or higher compared to those with Windows installed.

I made an inquiry some time ago regarding Dell selling pre-loaded OS/2 machines. I knew they made them, and I asked if I could buy 100 laptops. They didn't answer, but now I get all the sales literature for computers with no operating system and no Dell logo. If you think a computer is cheaper without Windows, better shop somewhere else.

If a manufacturer wants to charge extra for eComStation pre-loads, or even Linux, then they are allowed to do so, at least in the USA.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

RobertM

Quote from: kimhav on 2007.06.27, 13:05:43
...Also about Vista; I ordered a ThinkPad T60 to my parents last week and it had Vista pre-installed; and it's really interesting to see how many of the marketing features that really fails, i.e. for example:

• Vista boots way faster - No it doesn't, it way slower on this T60 with 1gb memory

Well it DOES... if you take into account that MS has redefined the definition of BOOT. You see, the new definition that MS is using is "resuming a machine from S3/S4 state" which of course isnt booting. But MS seems to have "forgotten" that. MS' new mantra seems to be: "If you cant fix it or make it faster, redefine the terms so that you can claim you did"

Quote from: kimhav on 2007.06.27, 13:05:43
  • User Friendly - Ehh no way, my parents finds it harder to get around it the system and all the icons and bells and crap just makes them confused. So after while the asked me to set the system to look like Windows Classic (Win 2000).

Again, I think it is simply a redefinition of the terms... I am sure it is "User Friendly" - we just havent stopped to ask MS which user they are referring to...  ;)

Ah well... like most of their marketing... like the whole "Fastest version of Windows ever! (if you are running it on 4 times the hardware)"

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

kim

Haha!  ;D Good one! True, it's all about definitions. About the booting time; it's seems that the hardware support to boot Vista doesn't work and that there is a fix due to November to fix this.... how did they miss that part out.... since the hardware vendors got it right but not the software vendor....

os2monkey

It's good news although I really don't like Dell :), as they don't stand behind their product defects.
So personally would just rather build my own whitebox anyways.

BigWarpGuy

http://www.asus.com There are listings for bare bones desktop and notebook computers. The bb desktops do not list an os but the bb notebook computers do (perhaps it is showing what it is compatible to?).

There are other places that one can get a bare bones pc. One is at http://www.tigerdirect.com :)

Saijin_Naib

XP pro has the fasted boot from cold turn on that I have experienced. OS/2 is slower than WIN2k, and about on par with Vista RC1 (last Vista I had on this machine). Zeta never got started, so I cant speak for that.
Vista is okay, I am a fan of Aero, and the performance is acceptable, I just dislike how the folder classes have changed again.

BigWarpGuy

The boot speed is determined by hard ware and the os. I use WinXP Pro at work it boots okay. I have eCS on a desktop that I assembled. It is about the speed of the WinXP Pro. I have eCS 1.2 on a Thinkpad and it boots up pretty quickly; IMO.