• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Java for OS/2 and eComStation Project Started

Started by miturbide, 2010.06.13, 00:38:12

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/19984/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Saturday, 12 June 2010

Silvan Sch. .. .

I think this is great news. And it is also good to know that Mensys is supporting this Open Source project, like they supported the QT 4 port.

Just one little thing, I guess it can not be formally called Java for OS/2 and eCS, since using the word "Java" will require to pay Oracle/Sun some fees. If no payment is being done to use the Java word it should be formally called OpenJDK, even if we all know it is really the Java Runtime.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

craigm

Nice, it's ports like this that will keep the eCS community healthy for the long haul!

miturbide

I agreed. After Java, the next step is SWT and Eclipse !! haha.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

chennecke

What's really needed IMO is updating the port of OpenOffice.org and enabling all the functionality that is provided with Java stuff, e.g., macro handling and all kinds of wizards. Currently, that's still missing.

Thomas

Hello,

>What's really needed IMO is updating the port of OpenOffice.org and enabling all the functionality that is provided with Java stuff, e.g., macro handling and all kinds of wizards.

And another thing is (related to OpenOffice) that it should install and run under MCP2R without any problems.
Mensys says "OpenOffice for eCS and OS/2", but opening documents created with OOO/2 2.4 fails. And yes I have reported this problem to the bugtracker (in October last year) but nothing happened so far.

Thomas