• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

ATI x1950 Pro AGP Video Card

Started by craigm, 2010.06.13, 03:16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

As stated before, my eCS copy is running quite well but I can really feel a lag from the video Drivers (Panorama) when using programs such as DOSBox, some emulators, and even Firefox and Openoffice. I am seriously thinking of going to SNAP and trying my luck but I heard if you run SNAP that you cannot run SMP, is that true?

I have a very fast card, probably over kill for eCS, x1950 Pro AGP with 512 megs of ram and I know SNAP will not see it. I am not sure what to do here, I have considered even finding out what the fastest card SNAP can handle and get that, I don't want to give up SMP though.

Maybe there is something in the config.sys I can change, I have not found anything on my own though.

As always, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Pete

Hi craigm

You asked "I heard if you run SNAP that you cannot run SMP, is that true? "

The answer is: that is not true.

The problem with SNAP is that it is now a few years since it was updated so support really ends with ATI X800, or thereabouts, so I'm not sure whether the X1950 would work in accelerated mode.

regards

Pete

RobertM

Further support of Pete's answer:

I currently (and have been for 3 years) run SNAP on a 4 way SMP machine running WSeB CP2 PF with no problems.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Fahrvenugen

Yup, SNAP works fine for me on an SMP machine I have running.

craigm

I have to agree, I put the /SMP command in and it worked like a charm!

On a side note, I did remove the X1950 Pro card from my computer and put back my ATI 8500 card because it seemed that with the SNAP drivers that the 8500 was faster than the X1950 card with Panorama.

With that though I just ordered a ATI x850 AGP card with 256 megs of ram for only $69.00 with shipping, the 8500 card is getting long in the tooth so I thought for that price I might as well get the fastest video card SNAP can work with.

Thanks for the help!

RobertM

Quote from: craigm on 2010.06.17, 06:42:56

On a side note, I did remove the X1950 Pro card from my computer and put back my ATI 8500 card because it seemed that with the SNAP drivers that the 8500 was faster than the X1950 card with Panorama.

With that though I just ordered a ATI x850 AGP card with 256 megs of ram for only $69.00 with shipping, the 8500 card is getting long in the tooth so I thought for that price I might as well get the fastest video card SNAP can work with.

Thanks for the help!

Hmmm... I didnt even do that (maybe the installer did for me?)

Where does the /SMP switch go?

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

sXwamp

Quote from: craigm on 2010.06.17, 06:42:56

Thanks for the help!

You may want to consider the ATI 9800 series, because they work with Warp Overlay and the ATI x850 AGP does not (I have one installed now) and ATI cards have a bug with SNAP overlay.  For me there is a huge difference when using Warp Overlay with the ATI 9200-9800 series.

Greggory 

craigm

Robert,

In the config.sys I put it in line:

PSD=ACPI.PSD /smp

I had to manually add the /smp into the line otherwise, for whatever reason, my computer would not see the other CPU and eCS 2 never installed it.

It works great now.

osw

Greggory wrote:
(...)You may want to consider the ATI 9800 series, because they work with Warp Overlay and the ATI x850 AGP does not (I have one installed now) and ATI cards have a bug with SNAP overlay.  For me there is a huge difference when using Warp Overlay with the ATI 9200-9800 series.(...)
[/quote]

First thing - why use warpoverlay while there is snapoverlay? The only few apps using warpoverlay were (iirc) warpvision (dead now), desktop painter, mplayer and kmp... - except desktop painter - all can work with snapoverlay.
Second thing - I'm using ati 9600 pro (agp) with snapoverlay without any issues. So if there is bug with snapoverlay and ATI cards - then it must be really minor bug ;) So really don't know if ATI x850 (agp) series will worse choice than ATI 9800 series.
Third thing - panorama driver is shitty. If you don't have to - don't use it.

sXwamp

Quote from: osw on 2010.06.17, 12:56:32
Greggory wrote:
(...)You may want to consider the ATI 9800 series, because they work with Warp Overlay and the ATI x850 AGP does not (I have one installed now) and ATI cards have a bug with SNAP overlay.  For me there is a huge difference when using Warp Overlay with the ATI 9200-9800 series.(...)

First thing - why use warpoverlay while there is snapoverlay? The only few apps using warpoverlay were (iirc) warpvision (dead now), desktop painter, mplayer and kmp... - except desktop painter - all can work with snapoverlay.
Second thing - I'm using ati 9600 pro (agp) with snapoverlay without any issues. So if there is bug with snapoverlay and ATI cards - then it must be really minor bug ;) So really don't know if ATI x850 (agp) series will worse choice than ATI 9800 series.
Third thing - panorama driver is shitty. If you don't have to - don't use it.

I have a ATI x850 AGP PE and it does not work with SNAP overlay or Warp Overlay (only DIVE).  If anyone has a ATI x850 series working please post the solution! Warpvision locks up immediately, mPlayer locks up within minutes and I have not tried kmp player. If your using mPlayer try specifically selecting SNAP overlay in the config file.  And we are not talking about a 9600 card, but a ATI x850 series card.  

However, if you have a ATI 9600 card that Warpvision specifically uses Warp Overlay and mPlayer uses WarpOverlay by the config file, I would really like to know about it. Please send me the config file for mPlayer !!!

I don't care if I am wrong, but post a solution for the ATI x850 series and SNAP-WARPOVERLAY, because there is a huge difference between DIVE and WarpOverlay.

osw

Hi!

Let's start from mplayer options: (newest build of mplayer - as I do like keep it up to date...)

vo=kva:snap

It is supposed to be in x:\HOME\DEFAULT\.MPLAYER\config - and for me it does the trick - mplayer is working via snapoverlay.

For KMP - kmp.cfg should contain -video snap or -video wo. Or one can specify driver in command line options : kmp.exe -video snap

Both players need snapwrap.dll to be present in executable directory or somewhere in libpath.

Of course you can use both - snap and warp overlays - but only one at the time. So If you mplayer uses snap you can't run kmp with warp overlay at the same time.
I have not used warpvision for ages but it used snapoverlay also.

As for ati x850 card - snap readme.txt - it is definitely among supported graphics chips for overlays. Unfortunately I don't have such card to test it for you.

(here is my config for mplayer:
ao=kai:dart
vo=kva:snap
pp=6
#double=yes
font=arial.ttf
subfont-text-scale=4
subcp=cp1250
#vf=screenshot=pp=de,hqdn3d=lavcdeint=denoise3d:4:3:6
#aspect=4:3
#aspect=21:10
#aspect=16:9
#aspect=16:10
#aspect=2.35:1
subfont-encoding=unicode
sub-no-text-pp=1
#noidx=1
# Settings for stream/file caching
#cache=8192
cache-min=30
#vf=expand=0:-80:0:0
# Setting for Browser User Agent response
user-agent=NSPlayer/4.1.0.3856
colorkey=0x000001
).

Pete

Hi sXwamp

I'm using an ATI X800 which seems to be a close relative of the X850.

Under direction from KO Myung-Hun I did some testing awhile back, 3 months maybe, of mplayer and different video configuration options to try to ascertain why the SNAP option gave "jerky" playback on my system. The result was that the uniaud driver in use was the cause - I'm using uniaud32_1.9.2 and uniaud16 from 114rc6. Sadly later uniaud drivers either do not work - or not as well as the combination in use.

Apart from the slightly "jerky" playback mplayer works fine with kva:snap, no "lockups".

Which uniaud drivers are you using? - and what audio chipset (audio and mixer details) is involved?

Regards

Pete

sXwamp

Quote from: Pete on 2010.06.17, 18:59:04
Hi sXwamp

I'm using an ATI X800 which seems to be a close relative of the X850.

Under direction from KO Myung-Hun I did some testing awhile back, 3 months maybe, of mplayer and different video configuration options to try to ascertain why the SNAP option gave "jerky" playback on my system. The result was that the uniaud driver in use was the cause - I'm using uniaud32_1.9.2 and uniaud16 from 114rc6. Sadly later uniaud drivers either do not work - or not as well as the combination in use.

Apart from the slightly "jerky" playback mplayer works fine with kva:snap, no "lockups".

Which uniaud drivers are you using? - and what audio chipset (audio and mixer details) is involved?

Regards

Pete

I get "jerky" playback too with kva:snap (lockups some times) and if you move the video screen output (snap) from WarpVision results in a hard lockup.

I'm using Paul's 1.9.22 uniaud32.sys and 1.1.4RC6 - uniaud16.sys the only combo that works with (eCom 2.0 GA) mPlayer and Warpvision. My onboard sound is HDA Intel /w a realtek ALC888B and sound works great, minus the desktop sounds (disabled).

My point is that with a ATI 9200-9800 series card with WarpOverlay works better for me, then SNAP overlay. I do not accept "jerky" playback and hard locks as acceptable (SNAP overlay).  I just know that when using Warp Overlay, I do not have to worry about anything it just works.

Have you try WarpVision with SNAP selected on the VIDEO screen option, then start a video  and LEFT click on the video output and move it around the screen (hard lockup). I know with the 9200, 9800 and x850 all result with hardlockups (WarpVision). Warpvision maybe dead, but it is still better then mPlayer for somethings (Network drives, all my movies are on a remote drive).  

Also, WarpVision - Warp Overlay and a Hauppage WinCast PCI (878 chipset) tuner (North America) gives an incredible picture for the TV output.  I mean it is night and day comparisons (I would pay 2-300 for an updated app its that good), when using the same card on Windows XP or EmperoarTV. Well, actually I have not tried EmperoarTV with WarpOverlay yet, so that's not a far comparison.

Have you tried VLC yet? It's pretty nice for an alpha/beta so far!

I have a ATI x850 PE and would trade it for a ATI 9800 XT AGP 256MB in a second, I plan on buying one on ebay right now.

Greggory  

craigm

Well I am not sure how it will go but I have ordered my x850 Pro so there is no backing out...I hope I made the right decision. One of the reasons I bought it was because the SNAP read me had the x850 being supported by all of its functions, like dual screen support.

I just want something fast in eCS as well as stable. It was annoying that DOS and Win3.11 could not be brought up in a window with Panorama. With SNAP and my ATI 8500 card with was so much faster, so I was thinking that the x850 pro would really get it hauling.

I should have it in a few days and I will report how it goes.

Anyone else have an x850 card? Hows it working for you?

sXwamp

Quote from: craigm on 2010.06.18, 00:17:47

I just want something fast in eCS as well as stable. It was annoying that DOS and Win3.11 could not be brought up in a window with Panorama.

Sorry, that's another thing that I forgot to add in about the aTI x850 PE, the DOS and Win3.11 windows sessions do not work for either.