• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Arora - new browser for eCS and other QT4-able platforms

Started by melf, 2010.06.14, 20:38:45

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

Check out this link:

http://www.ecomstation.it/ecsoft2/prog.php?progid=1608&name=Arora&sys=os2+ecomstation

A test version as far as I understand, but already well working, relly fast rendering. Hits FF364 measured on Peacekeaper, http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

FF364: 1100
Arora: 1500

As I understandit is based on Google code, but I'm not shure. Try it!
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

Ben

Yeah.

I've been testing it out too.

While Arora can't replace Firefox just yet, it sure holds a lot of promise for the future.

Fast, lightweight, functional; I'll be keeping an eye on it...

Joop

onlineuser2

Neither on mine, no images.

I can't type "@" in testing webmail.

Nevertheless very impressive (for me).

Thanks to the porter too.

Tellie

Hi,

Pictures are loading here, but most i like the printing is working ;)
Some things are missing but it's working like a charme here .

melf

Quote from: Joop on 2010.06.14, 23:10:19
Did tried it, but no pictures on my system.

In "options" > Privacy, there is square to check "view pictures". Is that the problem?
/Mikael

onlineuser2

rudi

Most likely Qt is not finding it's "imageformat" plugins (qgif4.dll, qjpeg4.dll etc). This could be caused by a version mismatch or an otherwise inconsistent Qt runtime installation.

Joop

Quote from: rudi on 2010.06.15, 10:08:10

Most likely Qt is not finding it's "imageformat" plugins (qgif4.dll, qjpeg4.dll etc). This could be caused by a version mismatch or an otherwise inconsistent Qt runtime installation.

I've no images. Installed latest available QT. Also did search for the 1gif4.dll. Its in qt-lib-4_6_2.wpi. After installing you can find it in [drive:]\ecs\system\Qt4\plugins\imageformats. I copied the contents to [drive:]\ecs\dll and started Aurora. No result, still no pictures in the program. For sure [drive:]\ecs\dll is in the libpath in the config.sys.

Joachim

Quote from: melf on 2010.06.14, 20:38:45
Check out this link:

http://www.ecomstation.it/ecsoft2/prog.php?progid=1608&name=Arora&sys=os2+ecomstation

A test version as far as I understand, but already well working, relly fast rendering. Hits FF364 measured on Peacekeaper, http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

FF364: 1100
Arora: 1500

For me the performance difference is even bigger:

FF353: 890 points
Arora: 1712 points

That's an impressive difference. Unfortunately it crashes rather quickly on certain javascript (so it seems) but it is nice to see a good rendering performance!

Thanks to the porter indeed!

Joachim

PS: the fact that the Arora code is hosted by google doesn't make it a google project.
From http://webkit.org: WebKit is an open source web browser engine. WebKit is also the name of the Mac OS X system framework version of the engine that's used by Safari, Dashboard, Mail, and many other OS X applications.

Saijin_Naib

AKA the rendering engine for Google Chrome as well :P and Dolfin.

rudi

Quote from: Joop on 2010.06.15, 21:46:42
I copied the contents to [drive:]\ecs\dll and started Aurora. No result, still no pictures in the program. For sure [drive:]\ecs\dll is in the libpath in the config.sys.

Qt plugins are not searched this way. Instead make sure that the file %ETC%\qtsys.conf contains:

[Paths]
Prefix = "[drive:]/ecs/system/Qt4"

Also check for stray "qt.conf" files and move them out of the way. Furthermnore you might want to
remove/rename "%HOME%\.config\trolltech.ini".

Joop

Quote from: rudi on 2010.06.16, 07:03:21
Quote from: Joop on 2010.06.15, 21:46:42
I copied the contents to [drive:]\ecs\dll and started Aurora. No result, still no pictures in the program. For sure [drive:]\ecs\dll is in the libpath in the config.sys.

Qt plugins are not searched this way. Instead make sure that the file %ETC%\qtsys.conf contains:

[Paths]
Prefix = "[drive:]/ecs/system/Qt4"
Also check for stray "qt.conf" files and move them out of the way. Furthermnore you might want to
remove/rename "%HOME%\.config\trolltech.ini".
Thanks, that did it, but found a problem. I have installed QT on an other drive then the one of eCS. So my qtsys.conf had with the Prefix="[drive:]/Qt4" where the examples and other developer stuff is parked. Now I tried to include the part above separated with an ";". But than the whole line is rejected and not read. Can Prefix have only one drive/path statement or can you have more separated with something, but definite not ";".  It is of no use to remove or rename "%HOME%\.config\trolltech.ini", because its made again when it can not be found.

Now I have pictures in the pages but..., if the page is a little difficult or does have serious javascript (like Lightbox 2.04) with it Aurora will exit hard. Trying second time the page is accepted. Is this "normal" behavior?

rudi

Quote from: Joop on 2010.06.16, 22:36:23
Can Prefix have only one drive/path statement

AFAIK, yes. But you can create a "qt.conf" - file in your executable's directory. There you can specify a different path prefix.

Quote from: Joop on 2010.06.16, 22:36:23
It is of no use to remove or rename "%HOME%\.config\trolltech.ini", because its made again when it can not be found.

Yes, it gets rebuild. But the content may differ. This file is normally just a hint that tells Qt where to look for additional components. I.e. it caches the version information for these components in order to speed up loading. However, if this cached information got messed up somehow, it might be helpful to delete this file.