• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

PCMCIA and JFS/HPFS?

Started by Andi, 2010.06.30, 21:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

Is it possible to attach a CF-Card into the PCMCIA slot with JFS or HPFS partitions? I've a card with several JFS partitons, one HPFS and one FAT. Only the FAT partiton is visible after inserting the card into the PCMCIA slot.

ivan

Hi Andi,

Have you assigned letters to each of the partitions using LVM?  If not that is most probably your problem.  The FAT partition will get the next available drive letter because being able to read FAT is built into the kernel.  The others, bring installable file systems require a little more work.

ivan

Andi

They do have drive letters when looking at the CF-Card from another system via USB card reader. But when in PCMCIA adapter neither lvm nor dfsee do see this drive. But the FAT partition is accessible.

ivan

QuoteThey do have drive letters when looking at the CF-Card from another system via USB card reader
That is normal with windows.

First, try using the USB card reader with the card on OS/2 just to check if there are problems with the size of the card for OS/2.  If DFSee can see it then there are no real problems with the card but there is some sort of problem with the PCMCIA adapter.

If that is the case then we know where to look to start solving said problem.

ivan

Andi

Quote from: ivan on 2010.07.01, 14:18:39
QuoteThey do have drive letters when looking at the CF-Card from another system via USB card reader
That is normal with windows.
With other system I meant eCS2.0rcX, not at toy from redmond ;-)

DFSee do see the partitions when in USB-card reader but not when in PCMCIA. Although DFSee does not see the card when in PCMCIA, the FAT partition is still accessible. 

Q: should DFSee see the card/partitions when in PCMCIA?
Q: why do the FAT partition work although neither DFSee nor LVM see this 'disk'
Q: is there some PCMCIA driver which prevent (or should enable) the card to be seen as ordinary disk?

ivan

Andi,

From what you have found re USB, it appears that the PCMCIA unit is not set up correctly.  As to what you need to do I can't say as I've never had a notebook that has a PCMCIA chip that was usable with any of the drivers available to OS/2