• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Samsung CLP-310 - need driver!

Started by klipp, 2010.06.27, 21:23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

I just purchased another Printer that sadly won't work with eCS/OS2. Checking the list of printers that work the Samsung CLP-300 was listed by Paul as working great -- so, like a Dumb Ass I assumed the Samsung CLP-310 would naturally work also! --- wrong! It works great with Windoz and Samsung provides an excellent package of Drivers & monitoring software for Linux.
  It now appears that the only way this printer will work with eCS/OS2 is with the Foomatic Drivers package which is part of CUPs but is not yet ported to eCS/OS2. Additionally it also needs the foo2qpdl printer driver. This printer is also not supported by SPLIX . GDI driver also dosn't work.
  Sooooo ----- am I totally screwed once more or has someone out there got a way of making this printer work?

Thanks for any help,  klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Paul Smedley

Hiya Klipp!!

unfortunately it seems like the CLP310 is different enough to the CLP300 to not work with Splix.

Alex Taylor has actually built foomatic and I have a binary available.  I had a brief look at foo2qpdl a while ago, it compiles easily but needs some more hacking to make it work with OS/2.  I will try look at it again this week and see if I can get something working.

Cheers,

Paul.

klipp

Hey Paul! Thanks for the response -- if anyone can make it work, It'll be you! Hopefully Alex will turn loose of his port of FooMatic in the near future.

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Paul Smedley

Trying to look at this today - refreshing my memory on where things broke.  foo2qpdl gets complicating cos it spawns all sorts of shell scripts - a bloody nightmare - so we'll see how we go...

Paul Smedley

PS I have Alex's code for foomatic here - when it makes sense to, I'll release it

Paul Smedley

OK, after screwing around with this for most of the day in between taking care of the puppy, I just got a test page out of my CLP300 using foo2qpdl :)

Time to do some more testing, then clean this stuff up a bit and work out how to package it up

Paul Smedley

Hopefully I'll have a crude install package for this either this evening or tomorrow.  Depends how much time I get on the OS/2 PC - my wife is busy cropping photos right now using PMView.

klipp

WoW Paul! After a whole lot of screwing around I finally got a test page printed out in color. I first tried using CUPS 1.3.11 and when I went to "Add Printer" it crapped out saying: Administration Error --Unknown operation. "Add Printer". I then installed 1.4.4 and it gave the same error ----ughh! But going to Manage Printers, then search found the CLP-310 and I installed it using Foomatic and QPDL printer driver. I finally figured out where the Print Test Page was located on this newer version of CUPS it went ahead and printed out the test page in excellent color. Looks like theres something messing up the "Add Printer" option on the Home page.
   Now I'm in the process of installing the Desktop Printer object and hopefully then I'll be able to print from Open Office.   I'll let you know when I get this all sorted out.
  Thanks again, you & Alex are truly a pair of lifesavers!

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Paul Smedley

Hi Klipp!

Great news - although I'm a bit concerned about the amount of messing around you had to do.  I _was_ able to use 'Add Printer' for my CLP-300

I did a fresh install of Cups on a different drive in order to try and validate my install instructions.

If you get stuck and want some live help, grab an IRC client and go to irc.freenode.net channel #netlabs - I'm Smedles in that channel. Will be around most of the day, as Im on holidays looking after our puppy, and the wife is at work today :) (currently 6:40am in Adelaide).

Cheers,

Paul

klipp

Hi, once again Paul! Well once again I'm stuck! Trying to create the Desktop Printer object, I thought the driver was in x:\cups\share\cups\model\foo2zjs but can't get it to install. Once I get in a position where I can print from OS2\eCS apps I'll go back to trying to figure out the problem with "Add Printer".
I've never messed with IRC but will give it a try now.
btw, whats the make & model on the puppy?

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Paul Smedley

Hi Again,
Most important things first :) The make/model of the puppy is Golden Retriever :) http://smedley.info/hudson/DSC_6085.jpg

For an OS/2 printer driver, you need to import the PPD file in x:\cups\share\cups\model\foo2zjs into either pscript.drv or ecups.drv using pin.exe

There are some instructions on how to do this at http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups/wiki/AddPpdFiles or you can use instpdr which comes with eCS 2.0 to do this using a gui

Hope to see you on IRC :)

klipp

Hey Paul, Importing the .PPD file seemed to work, It imported 3 .PPD files, CLP-300, CLP-310, & CLP-310 foo2qpdl. I created the os2 printer driver using CLP-310 foo2qpdl but any app trying to print to it crashes. Any ideas?

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Paul Smedley

Quote from: klipp on 2010.06.29, 02:04:46
Hey Paul, Importing the .PPD file seemed to work, It imported 3 .PPD files, CLP-300, CLP-310, & CLP-310 foo2qpdl. I created the os2 printer driver using CLP-310 foo2qpdl but any app trying to print to it crashes. Any ideas?

Yep - I'm seeing this too.  We had similar problems when importing Gutenprint PPD files in that there were certain parts that the IBM postscript driver couldn't handle.  I'll need to spend some time working out what the problems are - but it won't be today.

Meanwhile, I've had success using the Samsung CLP-300 driver that's in http://download.smedley.info/ecups-driver-20090324.zip - this should work even with your CLP-310 - but you'll loose the ability to modify some printer settings.

You'll also need the CUPS port driver - http://download.smedley.info/cupsportdriver-20090410.zip to interface the OS/2 printer dialog with CUPS.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

ivan

Hi Paul,

A very nice puppy too.  My Newfoundland looked as nice when he was 3 months old, now at 6 and living at almost the highest part of the village he tell all the other dogs what to do. (see pics at 3 months and 6 years - I hope)

Now back to OS/2 and CUPS.
Do I have to follow any particular directory layout especially for ghostscript as I have that in e:\tools\gs\gs8.71 where it has been since warp 3 days.

ivan