• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

QT 4.6.2 apps screen corruption

Started by jep, 2010.06.30, 14:36:25

Previous topic - Next topic

jep

Hello,

I've installed a few QT apps (SMPlayer 0.6.9 and Arora etc.) that all seem to have the same problem...
screen corruption as soon as I try to use them.

The tooltips cause the background to show through, move the window and the desktop/background will bleed through until you e.g. put another window in front of it etc.
Previous version of QT (3?) doesn't seem to have the same problems at all other same machine with e.g. the SQLLite Browser.

SMPLayer can't show any files either... so I have to use MPlayer alone.
QT doesn't render the SMPlayer settings window properly, unless I put another window in front of it for a moment.
Arora seem to have the same problem, especially for areas where it doesn't redraw often like the buttons and background next to the buttons as well as the scrollbars.
I can also see that Arora is unstable, but I haven't checked the logs, but suspect that is has to do with what Rudi replied to in another thread.

Any idea's why?
Suggestions?

//Jan-Erik

Pete

Hi jep

Add this line to the config.sys file and reboot:-

SET QT_PM_NO_DIVE=1

It should help with screen corruption/redraw problems but may not be a complete cure.

Regards

Pete

miturbide

Can you give me more details of what SET QT_PM_NO_DIVE=1  does so I can include it to the Config.Sys documentation project on the EDM2 Wiki?

It looks like a simple flag that stops QT from using DIVE, but more detail so I can document it will be great, like does it work on QT3 and QT4 or only QT4? etc.

Thanks.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

jep

Thank you Pete,

I'll check that and tell you the outcome.

Is it because of my Graphics Card, driver used or...?

//Jan-Erik

Pete

Hi Martin and jep

Martin: Please contact Silvan (of QT for OS/2 fame) for full details as I do not know the answer to your questions.

jep: Could be graphics card related but my knowledge is lacking. I can only post what Silvan told me:-

"as i don't have your redraw problem you could try to set the following env variable prior to start smplayer.
SET QT_PM_NO_DIVE=1

eventually it cures the redraw problem. as it's not a smplayer problem. it is a Qt problem specific to some systems."

All I can say is that it greatly reduced - but not totally cured - screen redraw problems with smplayer here using an ATI X800 PCI-e graphics card with SNAP.

Regards

Pete

diver

the screenproblems are all known. they are already fixed in the newest dev build. stay tuned till we release qt 4.6.3

regards
Silvan

jep

Hello,

yes that cured the problem for me with the isntalled QT apps.
I've got an ATI RV670 Card (ATI Radeon HD 3870 and 512 MB GDDR4 from GeCube) that I have to use Panorma with.

Now it's just the problem with Arora.

//Jan-Erik

rudi

Quote from: jep on 2010.06.30, 20:09:08
that I have to use Panorma with.

That's strange. DIVE mode should be disabled automatically on Panorama. Would you please post the lines startting with
"set C1=" and "set GREEXT=" from your CONFIG.SYS ?

jep

You mean that a left over entry for C1 that include WarpOverlay may cause the problems?

//Jan-Erik

rudi

The problems are caused by bugs in both Qt and Panorama... However, your "left over" in C1 will prevent Qt from autodetecting the presence of Panorama. Thus you will experience the full scale of possible drawing errors. As Silvan wrote: most of Qt-related errors are already fixed. However, unless Panorama gets fixed as well DIVE mode will not work with this driver.

jep

OK,
Thank you for the reply Rudi.
I'll ditch WarpOverlay then.

When can we expect the more stable Arora?  :P

//Jan-Erik

diver

as soon as we release a new Qt build. but no timeframe for it right now. We are working on some more important projects.
But it will come and the more ppl sponsor for Qt the sooner it will come.

regards
Silvan