• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox won't start

Started by lpino, 2010.07.01, 20:43:35

Previous topic - Next topic

lpino

One of the biggest problems with my system it's that Firefox won't start,,, ever.

I have done all the checks to make sure the libpath it's correct, that I only have one Firefox level. I erased all copies of libcxxx.dll, leaving only v. 063, only in <drive>:\ecs\dll

Still nothing. I replaced the old firefox for the latest one,,, and I use Firefox!.exe and Firefox.exe. It leaves nothing in the POPUP log.

I'm so tired of trying and I'm open to alternatives. Maybe a fresh start, from scratch,,,testing each step

Thanks in advance.

PS. This is not the only strange problem I have with the system

cytan

I've only seen this when I run out of shared memory. One test would be to see if OpenOffice starts on your machine --- its a shared memory hog. If it does, then at least this problem can be ruled out.

cytan

RobertM

lpino:

• I have had problems upgrading some versions over older ones... not sure what was left over that caused the non-start issue.

• I have had such problems when there has been a conflicting DLL version someplace, or a DLL missing that I was sure I had (either not in a place in the config.sys path statements, or simply not there). To determine this, I open a cmdline window in the Firefox executable directory, and try to run Firefox from there - that generally will indicate the problem (missing DLL, or unable to load "function" from "DLL name" (which indicates incorrect DLL version))

The second option (trying to start from the cmdline) is probably the best way of determining the cause.

Hope that helps,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

As you can see Ipino, we are looking in the dark.  To try and solve this type of problem it would be yery helpful if you gave some information about the system you are trying to run firefox on - cpu, amount of memory etc.

This is taken from the firefox read me
Quote- Recommended hardware for acceptable performance
  + 1.0 GHz processor
  + 512 MiB RAM plus 128 MiB free swap space
    NOTE: Firefox's performance and stability increases the more physical
    RAM is available.
and experience says the NOTE is correct.

ivan

Pete

Hi lpino

I doubt if deleting all libc*.dll files except libc063.dll helps at all - in fact I think that earlier libc*.dll files may be required depending on which version of Firefox you are using.

I have the following libc0*dll files:-

14-04-04  4:37p       356,330      0 a---  libc05.dll
11-06-07 10:53p        48,142      0 a---  libc06.dll
11-06-07 10:53p        48,142      0 a---  libc061.dll
11-06-07 10:53p       157,124      0 a---  libc062.dll
11-06-07 10:53p     1,349,060      0 a---  libc063.dll
23-05-08  5:29a     1,349,061    346 a---  libc064x.dll

libc06/62/62/63.dll files are all included in the libc063 package along with gcc335.dll

You need to start firefox from the command line in the firefox executable directory and include the ability to create a firefox log file eg:-

firefox.exe > firefox.log 2>&1

Hopefully the firefox.log will give an indication of what is wrong.

Regards

Pete

lpino

Quote from: RobertM on 2010.07.01, 21:18:33
lpino:

• I have had problems upgrading some versions over older ones... not sure what was left over that caused the non-start issue.

• I have had such problems when there has been a conflicting DLL version someplace, or a DLL missing that I was sure I had (either not in a place in the config.sys path statements, or simply not there). To determine this, I open a cmdline window in the Firefox executable directory, and try to run Firefox from there - that generally will indicate the problem (missing DLL, or unable to load "function" from "DLL name" (which indicates incorrect DLL version))

The second option (trying to start from the cmdline) is probably the best way of determining the cause.

Hope that helps,
Robert

I have tried running from command line. The effect is that the command window disapear for a second and then comes back with no message what so ever.

I'll try running directing the output to a log that sounds like helpfull

The system it's a AMD (1 core) 2.8 Ghz, 1G RAM and I have some other weird problems:

- running a search sometimes hangs the system with a JFS trap
- Java doesn't run all the time (sometimes run, sometimes doesn't)

At this point I feel all is cause by some hardware issues.

Thanks

RobertM

lpino,

What version of OS/2 or eCS are you running? Is the most recent version of JFS (the older ones were quite flakey)? How big is the JFS cache set? Have you tried running a full chkdsk on the JFS drive?

Best,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

osw

Quote from: lpino on 2010.07.01, 20:43:35
One of the biggest problems with my system it's that Firefox won't start,,, ever.

I have done all the checks to make sure the libpath it's correct, that I only have one Firefox level. I erased all copies of libcxxx.dll, leaving only v. 063, only in <drive>:\ecs\dll

Still nothing. I replaced the old firefox for the latest one,,, and I use Firefox!.exe and Firefox.exe. It leaves nothing in the POPUP log.

I'm so tired of trying and I'm open to alternatives. Maybe a fresh start, from scratch,,,testing each step

Thanks in advance.

Could you be more specific please? Which version of Firefox. Plus some details about system - os, graphics, ifs used... etc.

From my experience on many builds of mozzilla apps - I had some builds which never run - no matter what I did - recently some seamonkey build. But those "never running" were really rare. Most of the problems with those wich I was finally able to run - was with old profiles or some leftovers from previous builds.
So installing from scratch is never bad idea.
I Hope your case won't need OS reinstall - it's always a lot of work.
One more thing - I'd suggest to use newest version available - today it's 3.7a6 (soon to turn into 4.0...) - it's quite snappier than 3.6 series, less glitches, and smaller memory footprint (just my impression)
Once again - more details on firefox version and box config needed. 

cheers

RobertM

Quote from: osw on 2010.07.02, 21:40:07
Quote from: lpino on 2010.07.01, 20:43:35

Thanks in advance.

Most of the problems with those wich I was finally able to run - was with old profiles or some leftovers from previous builds.
So installing from scratch is never bad idea.

cheers

Keep in mind, that may include things in your Mozilla_Home directory. Safest thing to do there is to load a working copy of Firefox and export your bookmarks and such... get rid of the data in that directory, and install a fresh copy to a new directory.

I generally always back up my working Firefox installation (including profiles directories) before I do any upgrades as a just in case. Re-installing the last known version (though a little more cumbersome) will work as well to allow you to back up any bookmarks or such that you need.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ehtron

Hi/2
with the 3.6x i see a strange thing also.
after update, FF don't start. (extract over the existing firefox dir)
Delete all, without firefox profil, plugins dirs and start.cmd's and
new update..
... don't start. no info in the vio or popup.
The way now..
Rename the FireFox dir ...  ak. aFirefox with the wps...
start Firefox.exe  ... now FF start fine...
Rename the dir back to the normal name  .. Firefox
run fine now :-)

btw. the same with the new Thunderbird  3.0x and 3.1
I think there is a trouble with the ea's on the archive.
hope that can help.
regards ehtron

ivan

Never, ever install a new version of firefox over an existing one - read the read me!

Maybe you need to clean up your ini files.  Run checkini /c ( from wptools) to do that.  You will most probably be very surprised at how much garbage there is in there.  You can also run cleanini /c /restart if you just want am automated clean.  Look om hobbes for wptools and cleanini.

ivan

ehtron

Hi/2

>Never, ever install a new version of firefox over an existing one - read the read me!

Sorry Ivan,
i do that since version 1.x  That is the best way to update the FF and TB

see my page..
(translate with Babelfish)

http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehlertronic.de%2Finos2tip.htm%23Verweis13&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=%C3%9Cbersetzen

regards ehtron

ivan

Hi ehtron,

The way you are doing things with firefox is much more likely to produce problems than the more normal way of putting

SET mozilla_home=x:\mozprofiles
SET moz_plugin_path=x:\mozprofiles\plugins

in the config.sys (where x: is some partition or drive and not the firefox directory).  That way your profiles do not get messed up and you can always do a clean install of firefox, thunderbird, nvu etc.

What you are doing was permissible with version 1.x but not any longer, (again see the read me)
Quote================================================================================

Installation Instructions

================================================================================

Unpack into a clean (new) directory. Installing on top of previously released
builds may cause problems with Firefox. It is therefore hightly recommended
to follow the instructions under "Separating profiles from installation
directory".

ivan

lpino

Quote from: Pete on 2010.07.01, 21:45:16
Hi lpino

I doubt if deleting all libc*.dll files except libc063.dll helps at all - in fact I think that earlier libc*.dll files may be required depending on which version of Firefox you are using.

I have the following libc0*dll files:-

14-04-04  4:37p       356,330      0 a---  libc05.dll
11-06-07 10:53p        48,142      0 a---  libc06.dll
11-06-07 10:53p        48,142      0 a---  libc061.dll
11-06-07 10:53p       157,124      0 a---  libc062.dll
11-06-07 10:53p     1,349,060      0 a---  libc063.dll
23-05-08  5:29a     1,349,061    346 a---  libc064x.dll

libc06/62/62/63.dll files are all included in the libc063 package along with gcc335.dll

You need to start firefox from the command line in the firefox executable directory and include the ability to create a firefox log file eg:-

firefox.exe > firefox.log 2>&1

Hopefully the firefox.log will give an indication of what is wrong.

Regards

Pete

Did the innvocation using the log output. I see a message "Killed by SIGSEG", then a bunch of register values. The only info that makes sence to me is:
XUL 0:006f2996

I believe this is a component,, right?

Thanks

Pete

Hi lpino

I suspect xul.dll should be in the same directory as firefox.exe - not being a firefox user I am only guessing there.

What I would do with the log you have generated is to post it on the mozilla ng and see if any of the experts have any idea what the problem is.

Regards

Pete