• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Bounty Suggestion: Gain more knowledge within the community

Started by miturbide, 2011.02.28, 14:58:54

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Jan-Erik Lärka sent me this Bounty suggestion and I will like to discuss it on the forum:

Intro:

There has been attempts in the past to form groups that would study programming to elevate the knowledge by members of the community to a level where they could write applications on their own or aid more skilled developers in their work. Various reasons has caused such study classes to cease operation even before start, but the need and will to participate is still there. Some say "Just decide what you want to do and start to write code!", but that is just an insult to me and everyone as we strive with basic problems and there's no one to ask that want to explain various concepts/limitations/"features" etc. People at the most obvious place to ask such questions (discussion groups) doesn't answer such questions either, (straight out at least) as most replies just contain discussions about the problem but not e.g. the requested code snippets how to express and explain to overcome such design-problems. The result is that I and probably many of those who haven't gained enough knowledge can't overcome such problems soon enough and loose interest and after a while, either refuse to or don't care about achievements other do as well. OS/2-eCS may then loose users as a result.

Some say that join a development group, the problem is that there is none and that they're very closed to outsiders (to people that has not participated before).

Bounty Proposal alt. 1:
Present what you want to develop and educate others about, benefit to the community and how others can help out.

Bounty Proposal alt. 2:
1) Develop a WPS SOM class that contain 2 or more notebook tabs (IDL-files)
2) Resource files
3) Buttons that react to user input
4) Draw images on the page
5) Containers with icons that can browse drives on the computer,
6) A layout manager that reflow / resize controls depending on the size of the main window

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

I think the Proposal #2 is very interesting.

Currently the community started to complain about needing GUI improvements, and the WPS-SOM knowledge is scattered on the web.

A project (like proposal #2) for WPS-SOM to gain more relevance will help to get more developers interested on that.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

warpcafe

Hi,

I think we have to differ here.
There are groups whare you can join and develop. Basically, everything that runs a CVS or SVN invites people to participate.
But many people can't - because they don't have the skills for either the programming language used or the specific object model required.
And this is the point: Are we talking about programming classes?

I could offer to do this for REXX and OS/2 as long as it is "application programming".
I cannot do tricks around the WPS for instance (yet) but perhaps someone who can is interested to pick up later when my "basics" course is done.
(If there is a basics course of course).

I think we need to see what people are interested in.
Is it "C" that you want? Then
- decide for a freely available compiler (and/or IDE along with it) or simply decide what it will be
- decide for a project/topic
- go search an experienced devloper who offers to give the course

I guess the idea itself is not bad at all, it only needs some more tangible details around it.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

miturbide

Hi Thomas.

I agree with you that it needs "more tangible details around it". That's why I posted the idea, to see if there are more suggestion on how to turn it into a bounty.

I think there is current need to improve the GUI experience of WorkplaceShell and at the same time also post enough technical information so other developers can learn to tweak WPS and SOM.

Possible also try to document on how to make WPS related programs using GCC and other open source programs and use the least possible of the close source programs that are required (like SOM compiler). From what I had read around many WPS tutorials talks about using VisualAge, IBM toolkit, etc. So it will be nice to get some WPS tutorial refresh with open source tools.

martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide