• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

LCD Display StandBy

Started by djcaetano, 2008.11.17, 21:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

There has been many years since I first tried to configure OS/2/APM to make the monitor switch into stand-by mode after some inactivity minutes, but I had never succeeded.
   Anyone knows if this is possible? I am using OS/2 Warp 4.52 (MCP2), with the latest UNI kernel.

FYI, the monitor is a new LCD TV/Monitor by LG (22LG30), which reports itself as "Non-DPMS compliant"... but Windows XP *can* switch it into stand-by, even using a "generic" monitor configuration (I was not able to find a Windows driver to use with this TV/Monitor).

Thanks in advance!

RobertM

Hi,

If you have SNAP installed, you can try the "Enabled DPMS" option on Page 2 of the Screen Notebook (and hope/see it is sufficiently compliant).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Display_Power_Management_Signaling

If that does not work, you may with to try DSSaver and try it's various screen save modes (not the screen saver portion, unless you want...

Install it, right-click on the desktop and go to "Properties" - select "Screen Saver" (Page 1) and enabled "Screen saving enabled" under "General Settings" on that page. Select the inactivity time and choose whether you want to enable "Wake up by keyboard only" (without it enabled, either a keyboard or mouse action will "wake up" the LCD... with it enabled, accidentally (or intentionally) bumping the mouse will do nothing).

On Page 2, you can decide whether you wish to try it's DPMS support to enabled the LCD power saver mode. On some monitors, the simple lack of signal seems to enable some sort of power saver mode, so it may not be neccessary.

On Page 3, you can then either choose a screensaver, or no/blank screensaver. Note, some people have had issues with certain modules, though the default ones (or none/blank) seem to work.

Most LCDs I have tried, when they dont receive a signal, seem to go into sleep mode (as defined by their timeouts which are usually settable through their interface/controls). Though, I have not tried a wide variety, so I cannot guarantee it will work with yours.

DSSaver will give you a little more control over the DPMS functions (if they work with your LCD that is), as you can select which of the three DPMS Power Save modes get used - while the SNAP screen object either enables all three or doesnt use any. Thus, with DSSaver, you can have your monitor go directly from on to "off" mode and skip the intermediary stages (each DPMS mode is enablable separately).

Without knowing how poorly such modes are supported on your LCD, I have no idea what success you may have - but with luck you may find that portions of it are supported (like the final DPMS "off" stage) allowing you to use DSSaver to send that particular signal to the LCD only.

Hope that helps,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

It seems your LCD supports two modes... on and standby ("off")... so perhaps DSSaver will do the trick, either by not sending video, or by sending only the DPMS off state.

LG 22LG30

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

djcaetano

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.11.17, 22:59:11
It seems your LCD supports two modes... on and standby ("off")... so perhaps DSSaver will do the trick, either by not sending video, or by sending only the DPMS off state.
LG 22LG30

I am a bit scared of testing DPMS again, since two times I had enabled it (on SNAP settings) I had problems:
next time I rebooted the system, the monitor was disabled as soon as WPS started.

I had to revert to GENGRADD, delete SDDCFG.SAV, boot, change the monitor to something like
1280x1024 monitor, change the resolution to a lower one... reboot, and then reinstall SNAP. I had
tried several tricks, and nothing corrected the problem, besides the steps above.
  I had tracked the problem to the following: this LG TV is not listed on monitor list. When I call "detect
monitor", a new entry LG LCD TV is added... but if I check the DPMS box (which is left unchecked
by "detect monitor"), close the notebook and open it again, the monitor selected is a usual CRT
monitor, which support 120Hz of vertical refresh, which is something unsupported by this LCD TV
(support refresh rates are 60Hz, 70Hz and 75Hz).

Well, this is why I'm somewhat scared about playing with DPMS.
   But I'll try DSSaver, since it seems the lack of video signal really makes this monitor goes
Stand By after a few seconds.

Thanks! :)

Andi

Usually I don't let any OS know which Monitor is connected. I choice default or standard monitor and select the resolution I like. Refresh ratio is set to 60Hz for LCD of course.

If you use DVI output on ATI X300 or built in graphic chip in GEODE processor, probably neither SNAP nor DSSaver will work. In this case you can use my build of blackout (black103) as a last resort.

DougB

I had an ATI X300 in my old system. The DVI interface would not put the monitor to sleep, while the other interface did. I had to replace the motherboard, a few days ago, and the new MB (Asus M3A78-EM, with AMD Phenom triple core processor) comes with an ATI Radeon HD 3200 GPU video system. That has both connectors, and the DVI does put the monitor to sleep, using the default settings in Doodle's Screen Saver. I never did find a way to put it to sleep, using the DVI interface on the X300, using either SNAP, or Panorama (I am using SNAP on the new system - I haven't tried Panorama, yet).

It is best to tell the system what monitor is attached, so that it also knows what the monitor is capable of doing. If you attempt to do the settings yourself, you can get it into a setting that the monitor doesn't know about, and then you will have to try to get it working again, without being able to see what you are doing.

djcaetano

Quote from: DougB on 2008.11.18, 19:02:18
I had an ATI X300 in my old system. The DVI interface would not put the monitor to sleep, while the other interface did. I had to replace the motherboard, a few days ago, and the new MB (Asus M3A78-EM, with AMD Phenom triple core processor) comes with
(...)
the settings yourself, you can get it into a setting that the monitor doesn't know about, and then you will have to try to get it working again, without being able to see what you are doing.

Same problem here... Now I had discovered some interesting things:

a) Using DVI G550 output to TV HDMI connector
    a1) Windows will work ok but will not do 1680x1050 resolution. Stand by seems to be working.
    a2) OS/2 will hang on WPS loading, no mater what (blank screen with blinking cursor on top-left)
b) Using HD-15 G550 output to TV HD-15 connector
   a1) Windows do 1680x1050, but Stand by do not work anymore.
   a2) OS/2 will run ok at 1680x1050, but no standby also.

Damn it. And I was thinking on keep my PC attached to HDMI input... but the native
resolution is not supported bu HDMI interface (what a shame).
  Now I will have to buy an expensive HD-15 switch to keep two machines connected to the same
monitor (I do have one, but it is old, and the image focus is lost when using it).

And... no stand by for me. Ah, Doodle Screen Saver did it right, the "no signal" is reported
when Doodle Screen Saver is in action. But even after several minutes... the monitor will not
go to standby state.

What had LG in mind when designed a TV/Monitor that can't be commanded to stand by?

Saijin_Naib

Its the monitor EnergyStar compliant? If not, they don't need to support standby at all. Saves them money in production.

Andi

Quote from: DougB on 2008.11.18, 19:02:18
I had an ATI X300 in my old system. The DVI interface would not put the monitor to sleep, while the other interface did. ....
<snip>I never did find a way to put it to sleep, using the DVI interface on the X300, using either SNAP, or Panorama (I am using SNAP on the new system - I haven't tried Panorama, yet).
That's why I wrote my own blackout utility.

Quote......It is best to tell the system what monitor is attached, so that it also knows what the monitor is capable of doing. If you attempt to do the settings yourself, you can get it into a setting that the monitor doesn't know about, and then you will have to try to get it working again, without being able to see what you are doing.
It seems to me, that in djcaetano case the 'system' thinks it knows what the monitor is able to handle, but the 'system' is not correct in his case. If it's a fault in the stored data into the monitor or a bug in snap, or a weird combination of switching between DVI and analog or a kvm between...., who knows.

On the other hand if I set the values by my own, I know that I'm correct (after a quick look into the monitors manual). The 'system' will never change settings even if I change monitors, kvms or when power or signal cord  falls out from the monitor or when replacing the monitor when it breaks up. Sure it helps if you have an old CRT or a vnc connection as a last resort if something goes wrong ;)

Of course it's kind of personal attitude to let some 'system' set things up by there own (and get lost if it fails) or to set things up to personal preference.

On thing I want to add - sometimes it makes a difference if there is a monitor connected to the DVI or Analog out at power up. It seems that the graphic chip (X300 in my case) remebers on which output a monitor was attached at power up. Primary and secondary out assignment changes with that. No clue if this matters too on other chips as the X300.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.11.18, 23:13:55
Its the monitor EnergyStar compliant? If not, they don't need to support standby at all. Saves them money in production.

This seems to be somewhat prevalent in more and more of those things. Since they are "TVs" that support a computer input, not all (a growing list?) support DPMS as a TV is either on, in "standby" (ie: "off" but still using power and waiting for the remote to turn it on) and in some cases a true off mode that requires hitting it's power switch to put it back into on or standby.

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

roj37

thank for detail , it's interest. :)