• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

So...

Started by craigm, 2010.09.06, 03:43:52

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

...I have been thinking about this since eCS 2.0 has come out and wanted to hear what others thought, if it was a good (or semi good) idea I would move forward on it.

I really love Object Desktop 2.0 and I think I would be hard pressed to use eCS 2.0 without it. With that I am really wanting to email Brad Wardell about opening the OS/2 Version. It would be great to have the eCS team able to add it to the install (if the user wanted), with all the updates (2.02) and any fixes/additions the good people at Mensys/Serenity Systems could muster, it would be a killer app.

Of course, this might never happen and I believe this was asked before from Stardock, but Object Desktop 2.0 came out in 1998 and I cannot believe they are making any money from it nor are they using any of the technology today.

Heck, I would be so inclined to ask for the entire library of OS/2 software they have created over the years to "donate" to the community.

I mean between all the apps and games they put out it would be some real wealth.

Anyways, I have had a few glasses of wine but this is something I have really mulled over and I am hoping we could put our heads together and figure out. If everyone thinks there might be even a remote possibility, I would have no problem writing up (a letter to Stardock/Brad Wardell) something for everyone to look at, prof, and then send out.

Never know, after 12 years they might just be OK with letting it all go.

Thanks!

miturbide

craigm, just go ahead and try it.

A think a year ago I sent an email about it to Brad, but never got a reply. Possible with the time that has passed Brad will be more open about Object Desktop.

Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

jep

Hello,

I tought about asking them to open OD 2.0 up as well the other night... but to be honest, I'm a bit interested to peek at some of the code for educational purpose to understand how to code/use SOM and what one can do with the wps.

I guess there are parts of OD (M$ RTF and Word doc v6, Spreadsheet interpreters etc.) that they may not have the rights to "give away", but I guess I can live with such things. Would be neat if we could get a light weight native version of the OO.org engine perhaps as a Lucide plugin instead to view various file formats.

//Jan-Erik

Pete

Hi

I have doubts as to whether Stardock would be interested in "opening up" any of their OS/2 software.

I seem to recall that as soon as the Stardock bid to create the new OS/2 client was rejected by IBM in favour of Serenity Systems (eComStation) Stardock ceased OS/2 development and moved completely to Windows development. I remember there was a page on their website which announced discontinuation of OS/2 development and support.

However, that was now over 10 years ago and maybe Stardock's attitude has changed/softened enough to ask.

Good luck to whoever does the asking  :-)

Regards

Pete