• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS Bootup logo

Started by craigm, 2010.07.19, 03:44:52

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

Probably a silly question but I have been looking everywhere on how to replace the boot up screen in eCS with no luck. I beleive the file is a *.lgo format but can not find anything like that. Anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!

Pete

Hi craigm

Below is an extract from PMView Help - lets you know what software you need and how to change the LGO file :-)

Regards

Pete

OS/2 Boot Logo (LGO)

General Description   

The OS/2 Boot Logo format is used under OS/2 Warp versions 3 and 4 for storing the boot logo. The boot logo is the image that is shown at first when OS/2 starts up after a re-boot.   

Under Warp 3, the size of the boot logo image is 640x400 pixels. The VGA resoultion used at boot time is 640x480. Warp 3 reserves 80 lines at the bottom of the screen for showing copyright information. This space cannot be used and thus the size of the boot logo must be 640x400. (Using a 640x480 boot logo under Warp 3 will result in an OS/2 TRAP at system startup.) Warp 4 does not reserve this space and a full-screen 640x480 boot logo may be used under Warp 4.   

The boot logo file is located on the root of the OS/2 boot drive. The name of the file is OS2LOGO and by default the file has the system attributes hidden, system, and read-only set.   

The default extension is LGO.   

Supporting Platforms and Applications

Intel machines running OS/2 version 3.x and above   

PMView Support   

PMView support the boot logo format of Warp 3.x and Warp 4.x. When saving files in the OS/2 Boot Logo format, PMView will automatically resize the image to the correct size; 640x400 or 640x480 depending on the selected format).Interpolation is used when resizing and the apect ratio is maintained. The colors will be reduced to the set of 16 fixed colors of the EGA palette.   

Radek

I am using a "custom logo" with eCS. Therefore:

(1) Create a 16-color bitmap (standard colors), 640 x 480, with your logo somehow. It does not matter which painting program you use for it.
(2) Run PMView and convert the bitmap to the OS/2 LGO format.
(3) "attrib -rahs os2logo" in your root dir of your boot drive.
(4) Rename the file.
(5) Copy your .lgo file to the dir and rename it to os2logo
(6) attrib +rahs os2logo
(7) Restart and enjoy :)

cyber

http://sites.google.com/site/cybermanic2/bootlogornd.html

There are several programs for making LGO images on Hobbes but safest and easy way is to use PMView to create image in LGO format.  Above is little script to have random logo at every boot. It do what Radek describe chosing randomly from *.lgo in selected directory. It is not need to return attributes again.

RobertM

Very easy to do. I have a few custom logos I use. One key thing is of course to use colors that map to the standard 16 color palette well, otherwise, you will get a nasty, pixelated mess.

The other key thing is to note that Radek's instructions do not have a typo or missing information. The file must be named OS2LOGO - there is no file extension.  :) Meaning, save via PMView without an extension, or remove the extension when you replace the original boot logo.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

craigm

Ok...this is not easy...

and I just think I did a hugh Boo Boo...

I tried installing Bootlogo program from Cyber and it did not work after I put in my start up and rebooted a few times. I converted the logo though PM View and nothing. I removed from my startup...no biggie.

I tried adding the file to the OS2 folder and it did not work. Worse, I thought that I would go into the OS2 folder properties and hit the hidden box under the file tab, now I cannot see my OS2 folder!!!!!

How do I find it again...and hell with changing my startup screen, to much of a pain.

Thanks...and sorry, just a little annoyed...this is not easy.

Radek

Craigm, forget PM, dialogs and folder windows immediately! Open the "OS/2 prompt" window or fullscreen (or TCMD or something similar). Do everything from the prompt. Use os2 prompt commands, do not use check boxes or radio buttons!

As for the hidden os2 folder, it is bootdrive:\os2, therefore, switch to the root dir and do "attrib -h os2". The folder should be back again.
The OS2LOGO file belongs to the root directory, not to "os2", "ecs" or similar directories.
What has happened possibly: You renamed the file from the "Properties" dialog most likely. This changes the file EAs and not the real file name. Therefore, the new name appears under the icon but the real filename has not changed at all. Rename using the os2 prompt "ren" command.

And remove EAs from the involved files by running "eautil <filename> /s" on them. Then run
"del EAS"
"rd EAS"

ivan

As Radek says, OS2LOGO (note NO file extension) must be in the root of the boot drive otherwise it will not be used.  It must also be in the OS/2 logo format NOT any other logo format otherwise it will not work.

When you created your logo and saved it with PMView, you did use the 'LGO - OS/2 boot logo' as the save as type and used os2logo as the name then it should be possible to just copy, after removing the rhs attributes from the original, that file over the one in the root of your boot drive - it should then be the one used at boot.

I have a custom logo on all the machines here, all installed without any problems.  OK, I used FileFreedom rather than a command prompt to do everything from changing the attributes to copying the file from the server to each individual machine.  FM3 could also be used for that in the same way.

craigm

Redek,

Thank you for showing me how to unhide files, I need to use the command line more...

I have gotten dumbed down from using windows for so long.

Just tried again to follow the steps to make my own background, rebooting now...

craigm

Got it!

This is what I did...

1. Create a 16-color bitmap (standard colors), 640 x 480, with your logo somehow. It does not matter which painting program you use for it.
2. Run PMView and convert the bitmap to the OS/2 LGO format.
3. Run "attrib -h os2logo from a os2 window
4. Saved the new file over the old one in the C: drive
5. Rebooted and done!

Not sure if that was the best way but it worked for me.

Thanks again guys...you all rock.

ivan

Now that wasn't hard was it?  ;)

What you did was the simplest for a single system because it just works and is reasonably fool proof.  If you want to, you could produce more and store them in a temporary directory (OS2LOGO1, OS2LOGO2 etc), and change them as you feel like it - with correct renaming and positioning of course.

cyber

Quote from: craigm on 2010.07.24, 02:58:02
Ok...this is not easy...

and I just think I did a hugh Boo Boo...

I tried installing Bootlogo program from Cyber and it did not work after I put in my start up and rebooted a few times. I converted the logo though PM View and nothing. I removed from my startup...no biggie.

I do not understand why, except if You tried logo wich is not good.  With logos on this page it work on several eCS and W4 machines for long time without single problem.
Maybe I wasn't explain procedure of "installing" right. This script do exactly what craigm explain (parts 3 and 4), only difference is that randomly chose wich one from several bootlogo images.
So it should have in some directory logo1.lgo, logo2.lgo...(where also script reside) and at start, script will chose for example logo2.lgo and save it as c:\os2logo. It does not check is logo2.lgo is proper logo image, it will just consider any file with extension .lgo as possible choice.