• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Hardware Virtualization...? where does that lead and what does it mean for OS2?

Started by ModZilla, 2010.07.27, 22:59:00

Previous topic - Next topic

ModZilla

Well well well, come to find that beyond the many many pitfalls whilst using virtualization software, VMware announces a win lose draw tact in renouncing its own scheduled timeline for release of its H.W. baremetal version of its new release. All of this behind hardware-bare metal by Citrix... http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/051210-citrix-desktop-hypervisor.html?page=2

and then, not that this leaves us all in the lurch [quite unaware that there are problems with social networking...]

YOU NEED TO GO TO INTERNET EXPLORER, INTERNET OPTIONS, CONNECTIONS, LAN SETTINGS, AND UNCHECK "PROXY SERVER" -THIS SHOULD FIX YOUR PROBLEM of netbots invading when you get your latest Utube fix when updating flash, I WOULD ALSO RUN MALWAREBTYES-hey it can't hurt! If you are a victim of becoming a ZOMBIE machine, stop clicking on emails from your social networking "friends"

...getting away from I TOLD U=So's...back to the virtualization front. Where does the hardware or bare metal VM's leave Microsoft and those [like I]that run AIX with OS2 on top of my MAC G4 box? Do we need to upgrade so as to be on the up and up and also be able to run eCOMM Sta. as the virtual machine> I am having VMware overload, educate me ::)
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

cyberspittle

Are you sober? Your post seems to be like a drunken ramble. ;D

ModZilla

someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

RobertM

I suspect in any such scenario, full support for a virtualized x86 environment will be the prerequisite. OS/2 seems to use a very large portion of the feature set - more so than any version of Windows or Linux. The key issue we've run into before in any such scenario (and in this, I dont think whether it's bare metal, or in another OS matters) is Ring 2 CPU support - the same thing that's held back running OS/2 virtualized in the past.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ModZilla

Great points Robert, I guess in my own scenario, it is the machine being that I have moved away from the older Quad M-20 [Quad PIII's]-to the new eServer which requires alot more memory just to boot...I have not tried the hardware virtual box on it [ie the eserver with Quad P4's]with OS2 as the problems just with the Windows updates are too much for me to handle...I guess I should totally abandon the latest OS2 Pro updates and go straight to the chase with a solution involving eCommSta V2. That may work...we'll see

I used to use a G3 and then a G4 Virtual Box to circumvent using MS Virtual Box and they worked fine until the HDD's went KaputNIC... :)

RobertM

I'm using an eServer (the x440) and running WSeB on it (directly). Currently, it only recognizes 2 of the 4 CPUs, but that could be because it has the wrong VRMs in it. Haven't had time to fix that yet.

May also try eCS v2 (and give ACPI a try) directly on it if OS2APIC doesnt recognize all four CPUs after I replace the VRMs. The machine is supposed to be MP1.4 - but I suspect there's something a bit different in how it's implemented (or it's just the VRMs - which I know are wrong and can cause a slew of weird issues, one of which being CPUs not being recognized).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|