• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Smartsuite Updates?

Started by madcrow, 2010.08.09, 22:12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

madcrow

I recently found my old SmartSuite for Warp 4 CD and decided to install it in my OS/2 VM. The install went fine and things work, but I was wondering if it's still possible to download updates or if I'm stuck with whatever version shipped on the CD. I'm also wondering ho I can even figure out what version I have, as the "about" window doesn't seem to give any version numbers at all, except for Word Pro which is "Release O97.1944.0" The part number on the disk is T14970 and the copyright date, both on the disk and in the programs is 1998. If anyone could help me out here, either with updating the version I have or even just figuring out what that version is, that would be great.

isycoed

The current version of SmartSuite is 1.7.3 plus four fixes. I believe you can only get these of you take out a SmartSuite support contract with IBM which costs about $75 for a year. You get thrown in the current version of SmartSuite under Windows at no extra charge. If you want to pursue this the part numbers are E1CTULL and E1C4MLL

Andi

I think SmartSuite was delivered at one of the eCS1.xx CDs. Though not sure if it was 1.7.x....

rwklein

Smartsuite was part of eCS 1.2.x but we have taken it out of eCS. First of all its no longer part of our OEM contract Lotus Smartsuite. Next development of Lotus Smartsuite is not really something you have to expect, like this posting:

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/ssforum.nsf/DateAllThreadedweb/32284853704bdb668525759a003799b3?OpenDocument

Roderick Klein
Mensys

madcrow

Somehow, I doubt that I'd be able to take out a support contract for software for which all paperwork is gone and the only evidence that I own the thing is the fact that I have an old CD...

rwklein

Quote from: madcrow on 2010.08.10, 15:18:59
Somehow, I doubt that I'd be able to take out a support contract for software for which all paperwork is gone and the only evidence that I own the thing is the fact that I have an old CD...

Basicly Smartsuite (read the link I posted) from my point of view is left a slow death. There will be for example no filters for DOCX support (the new document format from Microsoft), which has been around for about 4 years.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

madcrow

Quote from: rwklein on 2010.08.10, 18:25:05
Quote from: madcrow on 2010.08.10, 15:18:59

Basicly Smartsuite (read the link I posted) from my point of view is left a slow death. There will be for example no filters for DOCX support (the new document format from Microsoft), which has been around for about 4 years.

Roderick Klein
Mensys
I know that SmartSuite is basically dead. It's not something that I would ever use "in real life". I was just curious as to whether it's possible to update the version that I have for the sake of playing around. Given that its not (at least within my super-limited financial means), that's the end of it. While it would be nice to have a bug-fixed and less outdated version of the Smartsuite apps (especially WordPro, which has a frame-based approach that allowed for almost DTP-quality layouts to be created), it's ultimately not worth my limited resources for something that's basically just a nostalgia piece for me.