• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS 1.2 and 64 bit motherboard

Started by OriAl, 2010.08.12, 21:21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

OriAl

Will eCS 1.2 work if I replace my 32 bit motherboard with a 64 bit motherboard and keep my hard drives? 

ivan

To a large extent it will depend on drivers and how you set up the BIOS. 

I have OS/2 here running on several machines with AMD 64 processors without any problems.  You will have to make sure the disks are set up for the same geometry and native IDE and NOT AHCI, but other than that it should work.

ivan

mobybrick

If OriAl is using 1.2MR, there should be no problem. Best to use last Dani drivers tho.

But using original 1.2 on AMD64, IIRC, is fraught with problems. 1.2MR has updated APM and TESTCFG to work properly.

Moby

OriAl

It should be MR - how do I check?  I do use Dani's drivers.

How about video?  Is Snap okay with a 64 bit video card or onboard graphics?  I'd need Uniaud for sound, correct?

How should BIOS be set?

I've actually used OS/2 since 2.11, but my knowledge remains limited due to physical, concentration, and learning issues.  I'd like to upgrade to eCS 2.0 and try to learn more about getting more out of eCS and using it with modern hardware (Windows, too, only because everything works with it.  I looked at Ubuntu, but I'm used to drive letters and the like.)

Thank you for all the help,

Alan

ivan

Sorry I can't help with eCS because we don't have it here but I can answer some of your other questions.

We use Snap with all our 64 bit boards with the AMD built in video.

The main thing with the BIOS is setting up the drives. Since we don't have drivers that will see AHCI you must set all the drives to Native IDE setting (see the attached image taken from one of our MB manuals).

For sound, when we use it, we use uniaud by trial and error to see what works with a particular chip set.

We have never used the inbuilt LAN because of driver problems but use cheep cards with the RTL8139 chip and drivers from hobbes.   We may go to the inbuilt lan if we can get drivers for the RTL8111D chip set on most AMD based boards.

Most of our board are from Gigabyte - MA78LMT-US2H and MA785GT-UD3H because they have serial ports and in the case of the MA785GT a parallel port necessary for connecting to some equipment.

ivan

OriAl

I have an Intel lan card (PCI.).

It may be a little while before I actually buy, but it will happen.  Motherboard, RAM, and whatever else I need.

I did order eCS 2.0.  I'll migrate it over my current system..

OriAl

How about this board and an AMD Phenom II 640 CPU?

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 890 ATX Motherboard

Here's a link:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0330615

Thank you.

Just noticed this has no floppy controller, but I could get a USB floppy.

ivan

Hi OriAl,

One question, why the USB3 model and not just the PRO - we don't have any drivers for the NEC USB3 chips, and I don't think we will any time soon short of a miracle.

Now a couple of observations.  At the moment there is no driver for the inbuilt LAN but you can use your PCI card for that.  Sound will require a little experimentation with the uniaud drivers to find the one that will work - I can't be of much help as we don't use sound on our OS/2 machines.

You shouldn't need a floppy drive because eCS is a bootable CD.

You will have a choice of either getting an SATA CD/DVD or putting an IDE one as slave to your IDE hard disk - not a good idea as a permanent setup, or getting a new SATA hard drive and installing eCS2 on it then transferring everything you need from your old drive.

Not long ago I set up a system for a friend using the non IDE3 version of this board and I must say Suse runs very well on it so I would assume OS/2 / eCS would as well.

ivan

OriAl

Quote from: ivan on 2010.10.03, 00:26:33
Hi OriAl,

One question, why the USB3 model and not just the PRO - we don't have any drivers for the NEC USB3 chips, and I don't think we will any time soon short of a miracle.

Now a couple of observations.  At the moment there is no driver for the inbuilt LAN but you can use your PCI card for that.  Sound will require a little experimentation with the uniaud drivers to find the one that will work - I can't be of much help as we don't use sound on our OS/2 machines.

You shouldn't need a floppy drive because eCS is a bootable CD.

You will have a choice of either getting an SATA CD/DVD or putting an IDE one as slave to your IDE hard disk - not a good idea as a permanent setup, or getting a new SATA hard drive and installing eCS2 on it then transferring everything you need from your old drive.

Not long ago I set up a system for a friend using the non IDE3 version of this board and I must say Suse runs very well on it so I would assume OS/2 / eCS would as well.

ivan

I haven't ordered anything yet - still looking at finances.

A friend picked out the board and other hardware, as I know little about this.  Windows XP (which I have on my system and also need to learn much more about how to use, like eCS) which may support it at some point.  I've been doing more browsing in XP, as the pages load faster, and the browser doesn't crash as often as Seamonkey 2.x in eCS does (Seamonkey 1.x didn't.)  Plus, I have sound and video play.

I have two IDE drives and two IDE CDs, so he selected an IDE controller card, and an external USB floppy, as I still have some stuff on floppies.

The onboard video is ATI, so SNAP should work.

I haven't messed with Uniaud yet.

Thank you for your help.

OriAl

How about eCS 2.0?  I can get it.  How will that work with the above hardware?