• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Looking for a replacement of the Scheduler found in eCS v1.2...

Started by NNYITGuy, 2010.08.27, 08:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hi All,

I need to find a simple Scheduler for eCS v2.0 GA.  The one in eCS v1.2 is exactly what I need, but Roderick told me many months ago that we were not going to be able to have that in eCS v2.x...

Any ideas?

TIA,
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

abwillis

Hmm, I wonder if REXX could be used to set the schedule for that dragtext tab?
If so, then a small program written in gpfrexx, drdialog, vxrexx, etc. could be used as a manager and have it create a script that would have the schedule set and that would popup/beep/etc.
What I am thinking is that the scripts would be kept in a directory that the manager would know to check. 
For that matter, for a quick and simple solution, create a script and make a template for it.  Drag a new template to the directory and set the schedule. 
I created a small program to test this and found that the executable does not have an tab for Schedule.  I created a program object that does have the Schedule tab and I can make it a template.  Unfortunately, when the icon is dropped it opens the program and the only way I can find to make it to instead open the properties is to drop the trailing e from exe so that it then asks if I want to open the properties.  Then I can add the e and set the schedule.  I hadn't really used the schedule before and find that I have to set the schedule by using the up/down arrow or pgup/pgdown buttons which is not as quick as typing it in would be.  While adding a snooze option was easy, adding meaningful text would take some thought to decide how to handle it. 
Hmpf, I had another thought to use the Schedule with a text file and the Rexx Script tab to run a script that had a beep... that wouldn't have a snooze but would have allowed meaningful text but text files don't have either tab (dragtext file does have Rexx Script tab but no Schedule).
If you have a calendar program (such as Relish or Organizer) one idea would be to set everything in there and then use the Schedule tab to set it to make sure it launches the calendar program if it is not running so that it can throw its alarms up.
Andy

melf

There is a sheduler (PM) on hobbes called Robojob from BMT Micro (robo_235.zip). It's old (95) but seems to work well with quite a lot of config posibilities. It's 32-bit multithreaded. The backside is that it's a 30 days trial. I guess this could be solved in different ways.
/Mikael

David McKenna

Andy,
  I'm not a REXXpert so I'm not sure what you are trying to do; I have only used the Scheduler in DragText for starting programs (not scripts).

I am able to type numbers on the Scheduler tab by hiliting the number, then typing... I think there is a setting in the DragText settings object for behavior of spin buttons - check it out.

If I drag a Program Template to the desktop, Properties opens and the Schedule tab is present, but no program is present - it must be defined. Maybe you could do that, then insert your script (as the program) and set a schedule?

As far as default open behavior... on the 'Icon' tab of a program object's Properties folder at the bottom there is a 'details' button (if you have XWP installed). The details dialog at the bottom shows 'setup script'. One of the parameters in the 'setup script' is typically OPEN=RUNNING. Maybe there is a way to change this to something like OPEN=PROPERTIES somehow?? (this is a WAG)

You could also ask Rich Walsh (the author of Drag Text) about what you are thinking... I have found him to be interested in how his program is used.

Regards,

Dave McKenna

CDRWSel

I can try to improve the specific ClamAVM I added with ClamAVGUI...

Tellie

warpcafe

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

ivan

Hi Tellie,

Could you send me your port of Daily as it appears to the sort of program I've been looking for for some time.

e-mail  ivanjt at free dot fr

ivan

CDRWSel

Quote from: Tellie on 2010.08.28, 11:56:47
Hi,

Is this what you need...

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Daily?content=97622

if you like i can send you, cause i ported this today ...

This one looks interesting !
Any link to download it ?

lwriemen

It's too bad Relish isn't still around.  :( Might have been more than you needed though.

Was there any final word on the disposition of the Sundial Systems software? Was it up for sale or anything?

NNYITGuy

Thanks Everyone,

I looked at everything that every suggested.  I wanted something simple and just want a stand-alone scheduling tool.  I did some more research and for a WPS enhancement that nearly made a v1.0 release so it looked like it was just about ready for prime time.  Well I tested the basic functionality and it works for me!

The WPS enhancement, EBScheduler from Earl B Crowder, at v.90 installs easy to WPS and really easy to use.  Every "Program" object gets another tab on the properties page called "Schedule".  Just play with the parameters and it is really quite self explanatory.  Maybe Serenity / Mensys might have a look at this and possibly find a way to incorporate it or its likeness into future eCS offerings.

Boy oh boy! I wish I had programing expertise or availability of programmers that know WPS programming.  It is so awesome that a tools / enhancement like EBScheduler and make WPS so much more usable.

---
My research cam from

http://www.os2ezine.com/v2n1/rave.htm

and down loadable from

http://www.os2ss.com/wpsutil/schedb2.zip
---

Best regards,
-Todd

---

NNYITGuy

BTW, I would like to thank Earl Crowder for this WPS enhancement!

Best regards,
-Todd

melf

It is also available at hobbes! Really nice util Todd!
/Mikael