• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Roadmap of eComstation ahead

Started by tuxbuddy, 2010.08.30, 10:41:16

Previous topic - Next topic

tuxbuddy

Hello All,

I just want to know the roadmap of eComstation. So far I can see eComstation 2.0 went GA. Whats the next version?

Can anyone provide me with the roadmap/ releases expected further?

rwklein

Hello,

I'm posting this message because a discussion was running on OS2WORLD about a roadmap for eCS 2.0 and beyond.
Please find my presentation from Warpstock 2009 in Stralsund and 2010 in Trier about eComStation 2.0
www.warpevents.eu for more details.

Mensys has provided funding so that Mozilla products like Firefox/Thunderbird will have printing support again (not created a PDF on the desktop). Expect a public release in the coming 2 to 3 weeks. These fixes will go of course into the public source tree so future builds will have printing support as well.

Work is still slowly on its way to improve the USB stack. But its a big job.
At least another 2 to 3 months before a public release of a new driver package
is to be expected.
It will contain vastly improved USB host controller drivers for USB 1.1/2.0.
USBD.SYS will have bug fixes and new versions of USBKBD.SYS and USBMOUSE.SYS have been
made. It only makes sense to release this is a single package.
Its after this that we will look at USB MSD support, that requires a whole lot more work.
Currently USB 3.0 is not yet worked on since we need more stable base USB support.
Currenly all USB 3.0 devices should be backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

Work to enhance Panorama graphics driver is still being worked on. Research in a generic wide screen enabler
and a tool to always set MTRR registers on modern machines properly so you always have the proper performance.
SNAP in that respect is not receiving updates for a different reasons. Part of these reasons is because
we don't have the financial and human resources to support all graphics chipsets and the revisions.

Network card support:
We just release the Intel NIC driver e1000e.OS2 that should support al current Intel gigabit chipset.
We are looking at expanding this beyond to Realtek gigabit and Broadcom Gigabit. A new version of the Nvidia gigabit driver is on its way as well with bug fixes. No wireless support is currently planned as our cooperated customers have a need for wired support. Wireless support is planned to be worked on later this year.

A new build of the Daniela IDE driver is being tested by a group of people. We hope to release that to hobbes within the next week or so. AHCI driver is right now under development. Time frame is hard to give when this driver is released.
At Mensys we hope to receive a binary version of the driver within the next 2 weeks or so. But this binary build is for internal testing only. 

Flash 10 required some extensive debugging but we hope todo a release within the next month.
Some of the hangs on SMP where caused by a bug in ODIN.

Uniaud is still receiving updates and we have pretty good current audio support.

In about 2 weeks time we will release Open Office 3.2 to the public (people who have an active software subscription can then download it).

More stuff on the way but as you can see plenty of stuff being worked. And some things have an uncertain time frame when its released. This to make certain the drivers/software simply have a decent level of functionality (that is not crashing).

So far 2010 is the best year in terms of sales to companies using eComStation. This has enabled us to even hire more people to get work done.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

cytan

You forgot to mention JAVA which I think is making really good progress.

Looking forward to all the updates.

cytan

tuxbuddy

Thanks. The Post was very informative.
What is the next release? 3.0 RC1 ??
Apart from fixes, what i am interested in next version/ release.

diver

Quote from: cytan on 2010.08.30, 16:40:59
You forgot to mention JAVA which I think is making really good progress.

Looking forward to all the updates.

cytan

just as a small side note. the roadmap of ecs and java has nothing in common. it's true that Mensys is the main sponsor of it, but thats it. it's not managed by them nor developed by a Mensys employee.

but yes the progress comes along very nice.

regards
Silvan
Qt4, Java project lead

tuxbuddy

diver,

Thanks for the comments.
Wished you could answer my query about the eCS next release !!

Pete

Hi tuxbuddy

I read somewhere that the next release of eCS is planned as 2.1 with 1 goal being the adding multiuser capabilities.

Regards

Pete

tuxbuddy

Thanks Peter,

Any idea or further information when is it expected?
Can you send me the link or reference?

Pete

Hi tuxbuddy

Sorry, I cannot find where I saw the reference to 2.1 - it may have been in an ecs newsgroup or testteam posting. However, when logged in at ecomstation I can see reference to 2.1 (unreleased) in the ecs bugtracker.

No idea when it is due.

Regards

Pete

The Blue Warper

craigm

I am excited for some of these updates, one thing I have not heard is if they are going to update Firefox to 4.0 when it comes out. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Pete

Hi craigm

Firefox has nothing to do with ecomstation.

I would guess ecomstation2.1 will include an almost current Firefox when it is released though.

Regards

Pete

melf

Quote from: rwklein on 2010.08.30, 15:41:09
Hello,

I'm posting this message because a discussion was running on OS2WORLD about a roadmap for eCS 2.0 and beyond.
<snip>
Roderick Klein
Mensys
Roderick, this should be published on your homepage (ecomstation.com) - it is great information that ought to be available where it should be! That will save you work.
/Mikael

craigm

Pete,

Sorry, I was not clear. I know that eCS is not in charge of Firefox port but I was just wondering if anyone heard of Firefox 4.0 for eCS, I know a lot of great work has been done on version 3. Just looking at the future.

Pete

Hi graigm

I don't use Firefox myself but seem to have read somewhere that Firefox4 is Firefox3.8 with a "version bump". I'm fairly sure I read that in the mozilla os/2 newsgroup so I'd expect to hear about a Firefox4 release about the same time it is released for other platforms.

Regards

Pete