• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

My Cell Phone and eCS 2.0

Started by craigm, 2010.09.04, 02:28:47

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

So I have a Droid X (Awesome phone) and I want to use the USB cable to connect to my eCS computer and transfer pictures and some data from the 16meg SD micro SD Card. When I connect though, eCS Does not see the SD Card and the phone will not charge (which I find very odd).

Now, the cable and phone have been tested on my Windows XP machine and it works fine, so I'm thinking it might be something with the USB Stack in eCS 2.0? If so I guess I just have to wait and hope eCS 2.1 will fix this.

Anyone have any luck connecting their cell phone via USB to eCS 2.0 and able to move data? This is one of the last things I am trying to do (hardware wise) in eCS that I cannot figure out.

Thanks!

cyber

You may try to read SD micro card in card reader, but eCS is probably worst choice of all OSes to do that to.  :(
You may try with preparing card to be LVM compatible and so on, backup all data before do that.
Also be aware that if card is HC(bigger_than_2) chose compatible reader.

ivan

Look up the specs of your phone.  If it says it will act as a USB mass storage device then you should be able to see the card - if not you will have to get a USB card reader.

The above assumes you have USB set up correctly on your computer which it might not be.  Maybe not enough drivers in config.sys for the number of ports as shown by the fact the port appears to be off, i.e. not charging.

ivan

craigm

Its impractical for me to remove my SD Card so I think I will wait (and hope) that the improved USB Stack in eCS 2.1 will help.

Thanks again guys!

ivan

The improved USB stack is not going to help if you don't have enough drivers loaded in config.sys.

For example, on several of the mother boards we have here there are 12 USB ports - 6 controllers - which require USBOHCD.SYS to appear 6 times in config.sys as well a USBEHCD.SYS (1 time) to enable us to use all the ports.  This is even necessary if we don't have all the ports physically attached because there is no knowing which controller connects to which physical port or in which order they are activated.

If you don't have enough drivers in your config.sys then some of your ports will not be active which appears to be the case because you say the one you are plugging phone into is not charging the phone.

ivan

cyber

You may test this situation bu putting anything else in that port. If work, (mouse, keyboard, flash, ext.drive) this port is working.  I hope.  :)

But even if phone act like mass storage, it does not give hope that eCS will can see it.  >:(

What is sad is that You have more chance by using old good Warp without LVM.  8)
Often those problems aren't related to USB at all, than a LVM and recognising partition type. You may try to prepare card (partition) to one LVM can handle, and then put to phone, consult old topics.

Pete

Hi craigm

There is a version of usbd.sys that may help; from the included usbd.txt:-

"This here would be too much, because it was a full replacement for the IBM
method of enumerating devices. My method IS like Windoze is doing it, so 99.9%
of all devices should work that way."

This version of usbd.sys is in this package http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/music/mmportv1.zip

Might be worth trying.

Regards

Pete

Radek

(1) As far as CONFIG.SYS is concerned, run usbcfg7a from Hobbes. It will show you your current settings and the settings needed for your comp. It can also fix the wrong number of drivers in your CONFIG.SYS . This is the simplest way of putting the right number of USB drivers in your CONFIG.SYS .

(2) Even if the phone card behaves like an USB mass storage, you need not be able to read/write it from eCS. I have a similar problem with my Nokia E51. I can connect the phone to my comp using an USB port. I get a message that the card "is now not in the phone" that means, the card is operated by something else (by the comp). But I cannot read the card from my eCS. I can read it both from winblows and from Debian.