• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Network card crashing my computer

Started by alphakilo470, 2010.09.04, 21:02:09

Previous topic - Next topic

alphakilo470

I just installed Warp 4.52 on an old Compaq laptop (Armada 4130) I had laying around and with the exception of my network card (Linksys pcmpc100 v2.0), everything's running just dandy. My problem is that I've tried every IRQ and IO range setting the driver will allow me to specify and I've even checked the hardware manager to look at what IRQs were in use and yet, I can't seem to be able to use this card. IF it's inserted at bootup, boot will be interrupted by a stop error which will also happen if I insert the card after getting to the desktop. Last time I've even touched OS/2 was a decade ago and it was v2.1 on a desktop with barely any hardware that needed to be setup so I'm pretty much lost. Thanks to anyone who can help give me a clue.

crimso

When does the error occur and what is the error message exactly? Which driver and version are you using?

If this is an older machine, you may need to make sure that the card gets an own IRQ assigned via settings in the BIOS.

alphakilo470

The computer's definitely old. Must be '96 or '97; has a Pentium 133, 32mb RAM and a 6gb hard drive. Was somewhat surprised that OS/2 was less of a slug than 98 which I also have on this machine (well, less of a slug when I'm not running a JAVA application).

The error occurs either the instant I plug in the card or (if the card's installed at time of boot, then after the blue OS/2 logo screen goes away, the network driver starts to load then screen blanks but before it shows desktop.)

"Exception in module: DRIVER" is the first line of text so I'm going to assume obvious there; I'm just not sure what with the driver to fiddle with. Followed by a good couple lines of numbers then "internal processing error at ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c" and the final line, "0586052c."

I can't seem to assign it an IRQ through bios. Basically, BIOS on this machine is just the code that makes it post. Then there's a setup floppy I boot from to make changes but it only pertains to power management.

StefanZ

I've had similar PCMCIA related issues with modem card.

When inserted during normal work, the system would crash. When in slot during boot, the system would not boot past the modem initialization. I opened a ticket (01689 in eCS Bugtracker http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=1689). This issue was caused by missing serial port drivers on systems where there was no serial port. OS/2 was then unable to assign a COM port to modem upon modem initialization.

I do not think that this will be immediately helpful for your problem (my PCMCIA modem is not your PCMCIA network card), I was just surprised to see the same symptoms with you card.

Maybe you should point your investigation on the fact that upon card insertion, OS/2 might have need to initilialize something (probably network-related) that is missing in the current system installation?

Stefan