• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installing eCS 1.2 on a Thinkpad T40

Started by hausmaus, 2007.07.07, 15:02:39

Previous topic - Next topic

hausmaus

Hi, everyone.

I've purchased a Thinkpad T40 (off-lease) and am waiting for it to arrive.  I'd like to install eCS 1.2 on it and run Windows of some sort in a Virtual PC window (I need Windows for some of my software that has no equal in eCS).  What I'm wondering is if anyone else has done this?  I noticed that OS/2 is officially supported on it according to IBM's website.  However, looking around, I saw very few drivers for OS/2 on this machine.  I don't believe it has wireless built-in, but I'll be needing it as a mandatory item since I'm moving into a new apartment and don't have room for wired connections.

The Thinkpad has XP Pro on it already.  I was wanting to run eCS on it because a lot of my favorite applications are OS/2-based.

Any information/opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

abwillis

I run it on a T42 without any problems.  I haven't actually run on the T40 but you shouldn't have any problems.  I helped someone the other day with a T40 (windoze) and it had a mPCI Cisco wireless card (I don't know if we have drivers for it or not as I am not sure if Genmac supports it) there are drivers for the pcmcia Cisco wireless card but it doesn't handle any encryption.  If it has the antennas built in then your best bet would probably be to buy a mPCI wireless card that is supported by Genmac.

zircon

Everything on the T40 was fully supported under OS/2 - sound, video and modem included. However, some drivers were not included in OS/2 4.52, but had to be downloaded from the IBM website. Perhaps they are also available from Serenity Systems.

Its default configuration includes no internal wireless network card.

Sam

If you want to keep XP, try Virtual PC 2007 from MS. It is free and easy to use. (Don't get me wrong. I am NOT MS fans, it is just personal experience)

I did not try eCom and Warp 4, but Warp 3 can be installed with it. Unlike VM Workstation, MS stated  OS/2 is supported as guest.

There is one trick for installing Warp 3 under VPC 2K7, not sure whether it is applicable to eCom. Don't change the default memory size of virtual machine from the default 64MB to any other values.

Sam

Further info from last post. The following configuration should work. I tried that on a T40.

Software version
- WinXP Pro SP1 with MS Virtual PC 2007, eCS 1.2 MR

Virtual PC 2007 settings
- Select OS/2, RAM 256 MB

eCS installation parameters
- Easy installation, select T40 in hardware selection

The eCs VM can be installed successfully. Just a small issue : it cannot auto detect sound card. But I do not have time to further investigate.