• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Fat32 on 4gb Data Traveler USB

Started by klipp, 2007.07.10, 00:36:26

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

I have the same problems "djcaetano"  had with his 1 gb Kingston Data Traveler, except That mine is a 4 gb Data traveler and came formatted for fat32 --- which don't work with ECS 2.0 rc1. I tried David Graser's solution and deleted the partition using LVM, that worked (not really)! But LVM will not create a new partition no matter what options I enter into the setup procedure. It indicates a freespace of 3,929 and type = None.  No matter what I enter for "create volume" parameters, I get a "Operation not allowed" LVM error 8.
   LVM shows 3,929 freespace but if I go to Local System > Drives and select the properties for Drive G (the Data Traveler USB) it shows a partition with 31mb free and 8mb used -- this is also (more or less) what Linux and Windoz show as usage. In other words the partition is not being deleted by LVM.
   Thanks for any ideas.
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

djcaetano

Quote from: klipp on 2007.07.10, 00:36:26
I have the same problems "djcaetano"  had with his 1 gb Kingston Data Traveler, except That mine is a 4 gb Data traveler and came formatted for fat32 --- which don't work with ECS 2.0 rc1. I tried David Graser's solution and deleted the partition using LVM, that worked (not really)! But LVM will not create a new partition no matter what options I enter into the setup procedure.

You should delete the partition *and* clear Master Boot Record. I had to use Win9x fDISK to do this, but I believe OS/2 4.0 and previous fDISK will do the trick. You can try DFSEE also. Only after deleting all partitions and cleaning the MBR LVM will be able to create a new partition/volume. After that, you can safely eject your DT, connect it to a Windows XP machine and format it using FAT32. The result will be readable both on Windows and eCS.

klipp

Hey, "djcaetano" when you say "clear the master boot record" do you mean use the "rewrite MBR" option in lvm>system ?
I had to use DFSee to get rid of the partition! Didn't have the other options available.
Thanks
rklipp@megared.net.mx

djcaetano

Quote from: klipp on 2007.07.10, 23:00:23
Hey, "djcaetano" when you say "clear the master boot record" do you mean use the "rewrite MBR" option in lvm>system ?
I had to use DFSee to get rid of the partition! Didn't have the other options available.
Thanks

Hi,

First go on: MODE=FDISK » Cleanup partition tables  » # 'The USB Partition'
  After that, go on: MODE=FDISK » MBR updates; NEWMBR/NTsign » Wipe start of disk to ZERO » # 'The USB Partition'

I believe with these actions you will be able to create a volume using eCS LVM and then format it on Windows.

klipp

That didn't get it! -- It did as far as Windoz & Linux are concerned but ECS can't acces it, yet going to local system>Drives>Drive L gets "no objects were found that matched the specified finf critera" but going to properties Drive L >details shows the correct partition size with the correct amount of files in use. From a command prompt I can change to L: but trying a "Dir" gets "the specified disk or diskett cannot be accessed,"
   I guess the next thing to try is to see if this procedure works on a 1 gb memory stick,  I have one (Fat16 formatted) and I'll have to back it up, but if that'll format Fat32 then the problem is probably an inability to cope with 4 gb. If that doesn't work, -- I dunno, guess It'll indicate its me thats screwed up.
rklipp@megared.net.mx

djcaetano

Quote from: klipp on 2007.07.11, 04:56:27
That didn't get it! -- It did as far as Windoz & Linux are concerned but ECS can't acces it, yet going to local system>Drives>Drive L gets "no objects were found that matched the specified finf critera" but going to properties Drive L >details shows the correct partition size with the correct amount of files in use. From a command prompt I can change to L: but trying a "Dir" gets "the specified disk or diskett cannot be accessed,"
   I guess the next thing to try is to see if this procedure works on a 1 gb memory stick,  I have one (Fat16 formatted) and I'll have to back it up, but if that'll format Fat32 then the problem is probably an inability to cope with 4 gb. If that doesn't work, -- I dunno, guess It'll indicate its me thats screwed up.

Weird. This was happening before I did the precedure I told you. Anyway, I formated my DT using Windows2k (not XP) and used the "Manage" option of "My Computer" to format it, where I could define FAT32 with 1KB for each cluster (the default on WinXP is 4KB, if I am not wrong).
   If you discover what is wrong, please, tell us.

klipp

Still haven't got it working, but have learned a little more about whats happening!  You're procedure creats the partition and LVM verifies its there and apparantly O.K. --- not true! But using DFSee's Display>LVM info for partitions and selecting the DT, it shows the DT as Active/Startable where as my 1gb memory stick shows itself as Removable+Active/Bootable. So it looks like I'm going to try and figure out how to change how the DT is tagged. Another problem was that the GEO Head/Sectors field was 255/63 and is apparantly supposed to be 16/32. DFSee corrected this using the "Fix hidden sectors/GEO value option" I thought this would fix the problem for sure -- but it didn't!
  If I ever figure this out, I'll post the solution.
rklipp@megared.net.mx

djcaetano

Quote from: klipp on 2007.07.11, 20:40:10
Display>LVM info for partitions and selecting the DT, it shows the DT as Active/Startable where as my 1gb memory stick shows itself as Removable+Active/Bootable. So it looks like I'm going to try and figure

I thought again and now I remembered that when I tried to create the volume, I used Character Mode LVM, where I created a partition first - and it didn't let me create a bootable partition. So I created a "Compatibility Volume, in a partition that "Doesn't need to be bootable" (probably an extended partition, not a primary one).
  I remember also that if I tried to create a bootable volume, LVM give an error about not being able to boot because of the 1024 cylinder problem or something like that.

klipp

Still no solution, but some theories:
I started out with a 1 gb Kingston memory stick formatted FAT16 which worked fine in eCS. trying to re-format (FAT32) it and a 4 gb Kingston memory stick made both inoperable in eCS but both functioned fine as FAT32 in Windoz & Linux.
According to DFSee there are 4 different status's a drive can have:
  > = Active/Startable  * = Bootable  r = removable R = Removable+Active/Bootable
Initally the memory sticks had the "R" status which made them accessable.
When the initial installed partition and filesystem is removed on these memory sticks and a new one is installed I/E FAT32, the partition and new filesystem is installed correctly. However the status of the drive is not retained and is set to ">" rather than "R" which results in the drive (Memory stick) not being able to be accessed.
I've found no way of changing the status of the drive (Memory stick) using eCS & DFSee, or any other software for that matter.
It looks like eCS doesn't have the ability to retain a "R" status on a drive (Memory stick) when it is re-partitioned & re-formatted.

Need help on this one!    Thanks!
rklipp@megared.net.mx

klipp

I've finally come up with a solution, I'll post it as a How-to on this forum.
rklipp@megared.net.mx