• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

FireFox versus SMP

Started by djcaetano, 2007.07.10, 16:59:05

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Is there any known problem on using FireFox on a SMP computer? I found strange
that the loading indicator at the tab (the rotating one) just doesn't work (it's displayed,
but the animation do not work). Later I noticed that I have to save links using "Save
Link As"; if I just click a file link the dialog asking me if I want to open the file or save it
to disk will never have the "Ok"  button enabled.
  Besides, I noticed the system got somewhat unstable after running FireFox.

I don't know if this is related to Firefox or to this SMP configuration; anyway, it is
somewhat common the system start to say me there is no memory available, even
if I have more than 1700MB free memory (and no program will open, not even a
"dir" is possible when the system start to complain about the memory).

Any ideas?

RobertM

I have had similar problems on non-SMP machines. As for the File Save dialog, I find clicking the greyed out SAVE button will after a second or so, enable that button.

Running Firefox (PmW-Fx actually - v2.0.0.4) on a quad processor system has exhibited no odd behavior (that I havent seen on non-SMP machines). It actually seems to load faster as well.

As for the animation, the version I have; has a rounded blue box for the loading indicator which barely animates - on SMP or non-SMP. re-skinning Firefox with certain themes will change that animation to something that actually animates (the current "animation" is just a slight color variance as the "highlighted" area on it circles around the rounded box - sometimes I have to pay close attention to see if it is doing something).

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

djcaetano

I had discovered something interesting about the "bug" on Firefox and the SMP. In fact, I was able to solve the problem by removing the FIREFOX!.EXE that is used by eComStation 2.0RC1 to call the real FIREFOX.EXE. I don't know what is the reason for that FIREFOX!.EXE, but it looks like it was the cause for the strange behavior of FireFox on SMP. Removing it allowed the loading animation to work and also enabled the save file button.
   I believe the only problem remaining is the memory limitation problem... 2GB of RAM, 60GB of free swap space and the system doesn't allow me to use more than 600MB on SMP mode. :(