• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Looking for an OS/2 ODI driver for the DEC 21140

Started by erminio, 2007.07.11, 15:49:59

Previous topic - Next topic

erminio

Hi,

As we still have 2 OS/2 Warp 3 pc's for specific jobs, I wanted to migrate them to Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.
The transfer went OK but as the original PC had a 3Com network adapter, I ended up with no network!
The Virtual Server emulates a Dec (Intel) 21140 network adapter.
I need to connect to a Novell Netware 6.5 server, so I'm looking for an OS/2 ODI driver for the DEC 21140.
I have found an OS/2 NDIS driver, but I really need the ODI driver.
Can anybody help me or point me to the right direction?

Thanks,

Erminio

rudi

If you cannot find an ODI driver, try to use the NDIS driver together with
the ODI-to-NDIS bridge. That's what you install, if you want to run IPX,
NETBEUI and TCP/IP simultaneously.

obiwan

I'm a bit confused about this question because I did not think OS/2 had a separate driver type for ODI. I've installed the Netware Client before, and as far as I observed (and can recall now) the hardware driver was the same one as when I did not install the Netware Client. In every case, though, the trick was that IPX would not work at all unless I went into the driver settings and entered the MAC address.

obiwan

Whether I am recalling incorrectly or not about OS/2 having ODI drivers, I'm pretty sure the ODI2NDI driver will not help this situation.

rudi

Obiwan,

have you ever installed Netware Client from the disks supplied with a Novell Server (i.e. not on Warp Connect) ?  What you get is a plain ODI protocol stack looking like this:

NIC -> ODI MAC driver (MLID) -> Link Support Layer (LSL) -> IPX -> SPX -> NWREQ -> NWIFS

If you install Netware Client with Warp Connect, the IBM installer will set it up this way:

NIC -> NDIS MAC driver -> PROTMAN -> ODI2NDI -> Link Support Layer (LSL) -> IPX -> SPX -> NWREQ -> NWIFS

ODI2NDI hooks into NDIS as protocol and emulates a MAC driver to ODI, to keep the Novell components (namely the IPX/SPX protocol drivers, which are written for ODI and not for NDIS) happy. This structure also allows other protocol drivers which are written for NDIS like NETBEUI, TCP/IP or even DECnet to share the physical adapter with Netware Client.

BTW, Novell used to offer a solution called LANSUP for emulating NDIS on top of ODI:

NIC -> ODI MAC driver (MLID) -> Link Support Layer (LSL) ->PROTMAN -> NETBEUI -> IBM LAN services

Please grab a copy of WSOS2ENU.PDF (The NetWare 3.12 Workstation for OS/2 document) and take a look at the "Architecture Diagrams"...

P.S.: The reason why you had to specify the MAC address in your Netware Client installation is, that ODI does not have the concept of NETBIND. ODI drivers basically bind when they load. So when running on top of NDIS, the "MAC driver" is not ready to accept requests from IPX.SYS, because NETBIND has not yet been executed. But this ODI-based IPX implmentation needs this information so early, that the only way out is to provide it via configuration file.

Greetings from a former Certified Netware Engineer ...

erminio

Maybe I should clarify myself:

The 2 physical OS/2 pc's are connected to the Netware server via a IPX only network.
The OS/2 pc's have a 3Com 3c905 network adapter, the Netware client for OS/2 (V2.12) uses the ODI driver (3c90x.sys).
TCP/IP is not installed on the physical OS/2 PC's
So in order to use the shim on the virtual OS/2 machines, I should first install TCP/IP (mslanman) on them?
BTW: I found an OS/2 ODI driver for a 21140 clone card (Accton EN1207D), but it doesn't work  :(

obiwan

Quote from: rudi on 2007.07.13, 14:01:35
Obiwan,

have you ever installed Netware Client from the disks supplied with a Novell Server (i.e. not on Warp Connect) ?

No. I installed the Netware Client from the Warp 4 CD.

QuoteWhat you get is a plain ODI protocol stack looking like this:

NIC -> ODI MAC driver (MLID) -> Link Support Layer (LSL) -> IPX -> SPX -> NWREQ -> NWIFS

If you install Netware Client with Warp Connect, the IBM installer will set it up this way:

NIC -> NDIS MAC driver -> PROTMAN -> ODI2NDI -> Link Support Layer (LSL) -> IPX -> SPX -> NWREQ -> NWIFS

ODI2NDI hooks into NDIS as protocol and emulates a MAC driver to ODI, to keep the Novell components (namely the IPX/SPX protocol drivers, which are written for ODI and not for NDIS) happy. This structure also allows other protocol drivers which are written for NDIS like NETBEUI, TCP/IP or even DECnet to share the physical adapter with Netware Client.

BTW, Novell used to offer a solution called LANSUP for emulating NDIS on top of ODI:

NIC -> ODI MAC driver (MLID) -> Link Support Layer (LSL) ->PROTMAN -> NETBEUI -> IBM LAN services

Interesting information. What I recall was that IPX worked fine without ODI2NDI; in fact ODI2NDI was not even installed if I only installed the Netware Client and nothing else. That is why I said it would not be helpful here. Of course it has been 10 years, I could be remembering incorrectly, as I said. If the Warp 4 Netware Client does work this way that you say, on top of ODI2NDI using the NDIS driver, that would confirm the validity of my suggestion, that the Netware Client be installed from the OS/2 CD without concern for finding an ODI driver, and the MAC address be entered in the driver settings.

Either way, I hope that works.