• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Flash 10 Plugin wrapper for eComStation Technology Preview 2 available

Started by warpcafe, 2010.10.22, 13:00:41

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hey, wow!

I just did a test drive some minutes ago and... it works damn well here! No hangs or lockups so far.

Watched a YouTube video with sound and played a Flash-based game (www.sudokuonline.com -> sudoku). All went well. Only issue so far: If Thunderbird is running when I launch the "flashed" Firefox, I get a "npspr4.dll not found" message box. When I close down TB it works. Perhaps related to "libpathstrict" settings with run! ... that's an issue with my install anyway, so perhaps not related to Flash itself... need to check.
Other than that: Definitely an improvement and worth trying out. Good job, folks!

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

EugeneGorbunoff

Do you run eCS inside Virtual Machine?
Or Standard eCS running on 1 CPU?

Flash 10 bug-reports:
http://svn.ecomstation.nl/flash10/report/1

melf

Eugene, what is the login to report bugs?

UPDATE: Well I remember now I've registered an account - and it worked. But you may as well tell how to register 'cause I can't see any apparent way to do that (and don't remember how I did). I think others may have problem with this to.
/Mikael

diver

how to create an account is well written on http://svn.ecomstation.nl/flash10
and this is the main wiki page. so anyone refering to the flash site please take the above link.

regards
Silvan

warpcafe

Hi all,

back - and everything works just fine.
As I suspected, it was the missing "run!"-configuration for Thunderbird.

In all, what I did was to install the 3.1.5 version of Thunderbird alongside my existing Firefox 3.5.8.
(Plus lightning and the calendar timezone XPIs), used the "internet application integration" to make the freshly installed Thunderbird my default mail program AND have it use "run!" for launching :-)

Now, no problems any longer with running TB and FFx in parallel.
Also, I must say that TB 3 is giving me a whole new experience in emailing on eCS since I was able to make it access my company mailbox (MS Exchange server, via IMAP) and the multitab-layout plus calendar plus the no-longer-indexing-forever is REALLY an enjoyable experience. :-)

The final remaining drawback now is that I no longer have empty rectangles in my MyYahoo!-page... but FLASH-based advertising, har-har... okay, I'm happily paying that price. :) Frankly, if I consider the browsing experience of today with what it was like some -say- 2 years ago, I think the folks made an impressive progress. Perhaps it's just me who made some progress on how to setup stuff correctly? Nah, I think there really was progress done. Not only by the Mozilla folks. So let me express my thankfulness and admiration for what the people have managed to get out the door: Mensys, Netlabs, eCoSoft and whoever else was involved here - I guess the list is pretty long. Thanks a ton, you saved the day. :)

I would even feel better if I had a more recent FFx edition that allows me to run Java.
But you never know... perhaps with the upcoming Java port project... oh, too much anticipation. :))

For the internals:
- 1 CPU
- kernel (from bldlevel): 14.104a#@_SMP
- not virtualized
- TB 3.1.5 (with run!)
- FFx 3.5.8 (with run!)

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

melf

I really agree with what you say. I think we overall experience a quite heavy development in regard to eCS and in regard to apps, utils and runtimes. I enjoy it!

But warpcafé - if you want to lift your browsing experience yet another step - try the Minefield 4.0b8pre - it flies! Of course not all addons works but fox weather, flashblock, little fox works well and probably a few more. All my plugins also works as expected, including flash.

Diver: thanks for info on account registration.
/Mikael

warpcafe

Hej,

Quote from: melf on 2010.10.22, 16:08:13
But warpcafé - if you want to lift your browsing experience yet another step - try the Minefield 4.0b8pre - it flies! Of course not all addons works but fox weather, flashblock, little fox works well and probably a few more. All my plugins also works as expected, including flash.

Actually, there is no plugin/extension I really "need". :)
What I use mostly is
- delicious bookmarks
- WebDeveloper (at work mostly only, thus not that important on eCS)
- smoothwheel
- XPather (at work only, thus not on eCS)

With regards to Java: The only occasion where I am really dependent on Java support in the browser is when I use the web-based VPN connection to our corporate network (it works with Citrix). And there, with eCS, the only way getting it to work is using the Citrix Java client for the browser.

if I remember correctly, I already had minefield up and running (for test purpose) some weeks ago - and was REALLY impressed by the speed. Then, again, I noticed the missing Java support and that was quite frustrating: Having a very fast browser (finally!) but losing the Java support. Hm. That was then the no-go criteria for "production use" of minefield here ;)

Nevertheless - thanks for the hints, regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

diver

ppl if you want Java also as plugin go and send me some bucks :)

please see http://svn.netlabs.org/java

regards
Silvan
Java Project lead among a lot other stuff ;-)

cytan

Quote from: diver on 2010.10.22, 17:41:05

regards
Silvan

Hi Silvan,
   If money is required, you really should advertise this better. I'm putting in 50 Euros.

cytan

lewhoo

Here Flash hangs system hard most of the time. I must admit, I haven't have time to check it on uni kernel or post a bug report...

ECS 2.0
Asus m2a-mx mainboard, snap on ati x550, athlon x2 4000, firefox 4.0 b7
smp kernel with /smp /!NOD /SAP:0x10

diver

Quote from: cytan on 2010.10.22, 17:53:35
Quote from: diver on 2010.10.22, 17:41:05

regards
Silvan

Hi Silvan,
   If money is required, you really should advertise this better. I'm putting in 50 Euros.

cytan

i know that, i know that. but you know a day has only 24 hours :)
but a better announcement will come soon

diver

i hope you all saw the announcement about OpenJDK RC2. There is also a new Odin. So please test Flash again with this new Odin. It's possible it works a lot better.

But be aware the SMP problems are still there. We are right now looking into them.

regards
Silvan

djcaetano

Quote from: diver on 2011.04.02, 13:28:19
i hope you all saw the announcement about OpenJDK RC2. There is also a new Odin. So please test Flash again with this new Odin. It's possible it works a lot better.
But be aware the SMP problems are still there. We are right now looking into them.

This machine is non-SMP and Flash10 works somewhat fine. Anyway, every now and then I find some website where the mouse clicks are just ignored by eCS Flash 10 (they will work nice on Windows). Should I raise a ticket or better live it alone until you guys fix the SMP thing? :)

Regards,

Daniel Caetano

diver

tickets are always fine :)
the ticket belongs to svn.ecomstation.nl/flash10
and if possible with a 100% reproducable web page.

abwillis

With the latest 3/28 release of Odin, I think the problems with libpathstrict should be resolved so that would be handy to be checked too.