• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenOffice 3.2 - will it work better than OO3.1.1 ?

Started by Pete, 2010.10.28, 17:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Hi All

I see eCS have released OO 3.2 see http://www.ecomstation.com/news.phtml?action=fullnews&id=3491&title=OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 GA for eComStation released

As OO3.1.1 supplied with eCS2.0GA crashes every time I try to create a Label or Business Card I am wondering if this build is worth bothering with.

I have no interest in purchasing flaky software - I got eCS2.0GA as a result of having had Software Subscription so my copy of eCS2.0 does *not* include the 6 month Software Subscription included when actually purchasing eCS2.0GA Home/Student - so would be interested to hear whether OO3.2 still has the same problem.

Mind you, the Support for OO3.1.1 was lousy so guess the same will apply to OO3.2 and if the Label/Business Card problem still exists I doubt if it will be fixed.

Maybe it is time to sack eCS totally and move to a different operating system...

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

I've been rather frustrated as well. I've had no luck installing it on my new desktop, and after collecting a ton of info and driver sources, no help getting it to function usefully on my netbook.

I will not be purchasing SSS again.

cytan

I've used openoffice on multiple platforms: OS/2, windows and MacOSX. Originally, I had thought that the OS/2 version was very slow and buggy (e.g. the presentation and the writer apps) but they are just as bad on windows and on the mac. I believe that there are problems within openoffice and not with the port itself.

cytan

Pete

Hi cytan

You may well be right - but I do not really use other operating systems that often so have not seen this myself.

I do know that OO115 for Windows (running using ar5os2.exe) works so much better than OO311 for OS/2 that I'm still using OO115 in preference to OO311.

I have asked eCS OO support whether the problems I found with OO311 have been fixed for OO3.2 and the reply leaves me in no doubt that they have not.

So, I'll stick with running OO115 and not bother with OO3.2 for OS/2.

Regards

Pete

cytan

Unfortunately, OpenOffice 3 is just not a great app and quite buggy. Unfortunately, that's the only thing that is available on OS/2. And let's not forget that it's also a shared memory hog. Try starting it a few times and all the shared memory is fragmented and OS/2 requires a reboot.

The other downside is that the fonts that OO uses are not quite the same on windows, mac or os/2! I had a very long document which looks fine on say OS/2, but the formatting is completely different on a Mac and windows (and the mac and windows version actually formatted differently too!) I traced it down to New Times Roman not being quite the same on any of the platforms. Therefore, even file portability is an issue with OpenOffice. (I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that MS Office suffers the same problem on the Mac and windows.)

Personally, I never liked GUI type wordprocessor and prefer to TeX (not LaTeX  ;) ) to write my stuff.

cytan

melf

I think OO has its drawbacks - I would have wished for something faster and smaller. Anyway, living in a windows world it's great to have as my collegues use windows mostly. I write a lot and use impress as well as draw and sometimes also spreadsheet.

I've used Draw several times to make posters. At the printing office I once was asked what software I've used 'cause they found the quality very good - and  the result was really good. I use Writer every day most hours of the day, open and close it several times. I must say I seldom have problems.

Now I've downloaded the 3.2 and tried it a little. Seems to me no difference to the 3.1 version. What makes me most disappointed is the missing support for "drag-text", which we have in the "odinized" version, but not in the native. I've brought that up to the support for several years now. In summary I'm quite satisfied to have OO, although it has its drawbacks.
/Mikael

Pete

Hi Eugene

I thought that was the job of http://www.ecomstation.com/support/ooo/ - not that it seems to get anything fixed.

Regards

Pete

Sigurd

One might want to give this a try:

Description:

http://www.rom-logicware.com/

Download OS/2 Demo Version (from 2008, therfore I guess it is not listet in the current English Download page)

http://www.papyrus.de/files/PapX_OS2_Demo.exe

UPPS! This link is not working anymore - I do not know if there is another place to find this file. I might find it in my archive if someone is interested in...

The fastest word processor I ever used, needs only a few megabyte to install, with VoiceType Support, Full WPS integration,....

Usually I use this one with eComStation, OO in case of Impress.

Saijin_Naib

I was trying to get them to Open Source it or Update the OS/2 version, but apparently they gauged interest here or on a newsgroup and we did not respond positively so they have officially dropped the OS/2 version.

Email Thread (Top - Recent, Bottom - Older)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
synper311@aol.com schrieb:
> I know. Do you know about eComStation? It is the continuation of IBM OS/2 by Serenity Systems and Mensys. The newest version (2.0) is coming out May 14th 2010 (So only a few days :) ).
>
> There is still an active community, especially on www.os2world.com
For us - we asked for interest, a while ago - less than 50 people. This is nothing we can care for, because of we have to make our living from Papyrus ...
>
> We have to pay for a support licence to get OpenOffice.Org so there is a demand for an up-to-date office suite. However, I think that you and your team should look at the ODT and OOXML specifications for support in your product as both standards are becoming widely used in the Linux/Mac/Win world, and even in our little OS/2 corner.
>

We would have loved to support the great OS/2 System much longer ...  So, please blame IBM for their stupid decisions, not us :-)

synper311@aol.com schrieb:
> Ah, that is a shame. Well, thank you in any case. I appreciate that you did at one point support OS/2 even if it is no longer viable :(
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ramps <Ramps@papyrus.de>
> To: synper311@aol.com
> Sent: Tue, May 11, 2010 4:28 am
> Subject: Re: Papyrus Office for OS/2
>
> Sorry, no. Too much cross interests in Win and Mac, which are still running.
>
> synper311@aol.com schrieb:
>> Would you consider Open Sourcing the OS/2 version or allowing it to be donwloaded for free?
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ulli Ramps <Ulli.Ramps@papyrus.de>
>> To: synper311@aol.com
>> Sent: Mon, May 10, 2010 10:01 am
>> Subject: Re: Papyrus Office for OS/2
>>
>> Sorry, no further development - too less interest.
>>
>> synper311@aol.com schrieb:
>>> Hey guys, was wondering if you were still developing/supporting Papyrus office for IBM OS/2?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Brett

Batchheizer

Quote from: cytan on 2010.10.28, 21:56:35
The other downside is that the fonts that OO uses are not quite the same on windows, mac or os/2! I had a very long document which looks fine on say OS/2, but the formatting is completely different on a Mac and windows (and the mac and windows version actually formatted differently too!) I traced it down to New Times Roman not being quite the same on any of the platforms. Therefore, even file portability is an issue with OpenOffice. (I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that MS Office suffers the same problem on the Mac and windows.)
This problem with font (line-spacing) is fixed now in 3.2.(or in the pre-release, I tested). It was a big problem for me too.

EugeneGorbunoff

To Pete:

OpenOffice.org tickets system - yee.. the users don't see what happens there. That's why I talk about public forum / bug-tracker -- http://forum.ecomstation.ru/viewforum.php?f=4
Maybe this is the only way to influence on OOo/2 development.

To Sigurd:

We added Papyrus Demo to eCo Market -- http://ecomstation.ru/ecomarket

CDRWSel

I thought Papyrus development was stopped on OS/2 since several time now due they didn't get enough request to continue support it !

melf

Yes it is, and AFAIK the latest version is in German only...
/Mikael

CDRWSel

How to get Lotus SmarSuite compatibilty ?
IBM symphony based on Ooo could implement it but too heavy and slow...