• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VirtualBox for eCS

Started by craigm, 2010.11.08, 15:00:10

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

Hello again!

I am trying to get VirtualBox for eCS working on my eCS 2.0 box and not having any luck because it refuses to allow me to install any OS I try (XP, Linux, etc). I "think" I am using the newest VirtualBox (1.6.1) but I am not sure that is the newest one.

I did some looking around and it seems that there is some work being done on it but the last update was:

Netlabs News: 6. September – 12. September

VirtualBox for eCS (OS/2)

* A few updates
    * See: http://svn.netlabs.org/vbox/timeline

Anyone have an installer newer than 1.6.1? The newest Windows version is VirtualBox 3.2.10 on Oct 11, 2010

If there is nothing newer than 1.6.1 does anyone recommend another Virtual machine that runs on eCS.

Thanks!

diver

we are still working on the 3.2 port.
but right now version 1.6 is still current working.

so stay tuned till 3.2 is coming
regards
Silvan

Andi710

Quote from: craigm on 2010.11.08, 15:00:10
I am trying to get VirtualBox for eCS working on my eCS 2.0 box and not having any luck because it refuses to allow me to install any OS I try (XP, Linux, etc). I "think" I am using the newest VirtualBox (1.6.1) but I am not sure that is the newest one.

Anyone have an installer newer than 1.6.1? The newest Windows version is VirtualBox 3.2.10 on Oct 11, 2010

1.6.1 is the newest one actually working on eCS. I packaged it into a wpi for easy installation.
http://andreas-ludwig.info/index.php?page=packages#VirtualBox

Later versions have been compiled, but are not working due to lack of updates to the underlying drivers. (Qt4 is available by now, but this is only dealing with the GUI). There is a project at netlabs for porting later versions of VirtualBox. however, as with many other projects, there is a lack of knowlegdable coders...

Cheers
Andreas

Andi710

Quote from: diver on 2010.11.08, 15:25:39
so stay tuned till 3.2 is coming

Is someone actually working on the beast? I saw that USB support is now included in some open source version (OpenBSD IIRC) - that would be a really nice addition for a new version of VirtualBox.

Other than this, the 'old' version 1.6.1 runs my STATA and Maple just fine...

diver

Andi

we have coders, but right now other more urgent projects. but you can be sure vbox will come.

as till now i never promised something which did not come.

regards
Silvan

cytan

Quote from: diver on 2010.11.08, 17:20:08
Andi

we have coders, but right now other more urgent projects. but you can be sure vbox will come.

as till now i never promised something which did not come.

regards
Silvan

Great to hear that! Looking forward to it.

cytan

craigm

Silvan,

Thank you for the update, I am excited about getting a new version in the future and appreciate the work you and the team do!

Andreas,

The WarpIn VirtualBox rocks! I was able to install it in no time and got Ubuntu 10.10 installing now! I wish every program was in WarpIn...makes life so much easier. Thanks!!!

craigm

Haiku running in eCS2 via VirtualBox!

Works Perfectly!