• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How do I make an installable partition in LVM?

Started by BookWorm, 2010.11.10, 19:12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

BookWorm

With the DaniS506.ADD driver installed, I may not have a CD-RW, but I do have full access to my 320 gig hard drive. I have created the folowing partitions:

Boot Manager
C:OS/2 (Installed and working perfectly)
D:40 gig, Windows
E:108 gig, Documents (Look out Project Gutenberg, here I come!)
F:128 gig, Multimedia (I only created a separate partition for music & video because Windows 98SE can't see
   past the BIOS 128 gig limit.)
G:Linux.

The idea now is to set D: installable and put Windows 98 on it, then add XP later, but LVM doesn't have the option of setting a partition installable like the fdisk that runs when you set up the computer; that fdisk apparently can't be run from inside OS/2. I tried creating a bootable volume, but no matter how I did it, no matter what size I tried to make it, LVM couldn't create a bootable volume. Making a volume or patition bootable, startable or adding it to the boot manager, is either grayed out or can only apply to C:, but C: is already bootable and in the boot manager.

I booted Windows 98 from CD and it claimed C: wasn't formated, and didn't see any other drive.

*H*E*L*P*!!!

ivan

Simple answer - windows insists on being installed on the first primary partition on the drive so you will have to move OS/2 to drive D (you can call it C if you are using LVM but then you loose the ability to read the windows fat32 partition).

ivan

BookWorm

> Simple answer

Usually the best kind. Unfortunately this time it's not correct.

> windows insists on being installed on the first primary partition on the drive

Two days ago on this computer I had windows installed to drive D:. I took it off so I could install OS/2 with the boot manager.

ivan

If windows was the only OS on the machine then it does not matter what you call the partition - could be Z: for all win is concerned.  It just has to be the first OS on the machine.

I had a fight with this a few months ago on a friends computer.  He had installed a larger hard disk and needed to install win xp for just one program as it didn't like running in vbox - maybe when we get the updated vbox it might.  Anyway xp would not install until I moved the OS/2 boot partition and let xp have the first one.  When I did that there were no problems, xp sees the partition as C: and, thanks to lvm OS/2 sees its boot partition also as C: even though it is at the other end of the HD after 4 other partitions.

ivan

Pete

Hi Bookworm

My experience with Windows is fairly limited but I have installed both WinNT and Win2000 to D: drives in the past. I did note however that Windows installed boot files to C: (1st primary partition) in order to be able to boot the D: drive in both the above cases.

These days when installing Windows I always use C: as it is the easiest way and install any other OS's to other drive partitions.

Regards

Pete

BookWorm

> Anyway xp would not install until I moved the OS/2 boot partition

How do you move a partition?

I think I'm going to have to reinstall. The Dani upgrades worked so well, I should be able to set up a set of boot floppies that will let me partition the drive like I really wanted to in the beginning - with Windows at the beginning - and correctly install the boot manager and all operating systems. How do I do that?

Radek

I think reinstalling is the best option. If you decide to reinstall, then:

- boot from eCS CD (or OS/2 diskette) and create a partition for your winblows. Create it "from the beginning of the HD". Do not create any other partitions. Save changes, quit FDISK, reboot.
- boot from winblows CD and install winblows on this partition.
- boot from eCS CD, install boot manager, create other partitions, install eCS.
- start eCS, run LVM (the PM "mini LVM" app is okay) and add the winblows partition to the boot manager menu.
- reboot. Now, you will have both eCS and winblows in the BM menu and both systems should run.

I have installed both eCS and winblows 2000 on my comp this way.

Warning! NEVER allow winblows "hard disc manager" to run. This can clobber your partitions and prevent eCS from running. Do all HD maintenance from eCS.
Note: When you install winblows (at leas some versions of it), the installer tends to foul all partitions it finds. That's why you start with a single partition on your HD - nothing to foul, sorry. If you create other partitions or install eCS first then you can experience problems.

ivan

QuoteHow do you move a partition?

Sorry, I should have mentioned DFSee - from hobbes.  You will need it if you install win 2000 to stop w2k from clobering boot manager.

When you make the floppies with the updated Dani drivers dont forget to add set coppyfromfloppy=1 to the config.sys on diskette 2.  You may also need to make space by removing some of the SCSI drivers, in which case remove them fron the confis.sys and snoop.lst.

BookWorm

Does anyone know how to install the Dani upgrades on a set of boot floppies so I can boot from floppies, partition the drive, and install from CD?

melf

To ease install process if still using W4 I would strongly recommend zolt kadars updcd http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm . It was long since I used it so I can't guide you , but there is plenty of information on the website. You can make your own bootable W4-CD with all the updates you wish for.
/Mikael

Radek

(1) Rename Daniela's drivers to the "standard" names. dani1s506.sys to ibm1s506.sys, daniatapi.flt to ibmatapi.flt .
(2) Replace ibm1s506.sys and ibmatapi.sys on the diskette with your drivers.
(3) Make sure that the config.sys on the first diskette contains SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 . Add this statement to the config.sys if it isn't there.

That's all. Notes:
(1) Most likely, there won't be enough space on the first diskette. You can delete tedit.exe along with related files from it. tedit is on the second diskette again so that you aren't losing it. You can also delete SCSI drivers (if your machine isn't SCSI) from the diskette.
(2) If you have dani1s506.sys ver 185 or later then (a) you need daniatapi.flt ver. 040 and (b) you are risking because ver. 185 and later is for eCS and need not work with W4. If you have dani1s506.sys ver. below 185 then you need daniatapi.flt ver. below 040. dani1s506 ver. 170 with daniatapi ver. 037 work with W4.
(3) You can patch the corresponding BASEDEV statements in your config sys instead of renaming the drivers. The file names of the drivers aren't "mandatory".

ivan

Just a couple of corrections.

It should be danis506.ADD and because of the 8.3 names for floppies daniatapi.FLT will need to be named daniatap.FLT.

You talk of LVM, does that mean you are using one of the later warp 4 releases as the original warp 4 did not have LVM.  Depending on which version you have there may be other changes that need to be made - e.g. the version of the Dani drivers.

Disk 0 - the install disk - only needs a change to config.x if you do not rename the Dani drivers.
Disk 1 is the one with the most changes - editing config.sys and config.x as well as either adding the Dani drivers which will require the removal of some of the old SCSI drivers and the removal of them from both the config files and snoop.lst.

I would also endorse Melf's recommendation of using UPDCD as the best way of producing both an updated version and a bootable CD.  Also look for OS2MThttp://www.os2mt.tk  as an easy way to find updates and fix packs.

ivan