• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

major trouble after motherboard swap

Started by OriAl, 2010.11.18, 03:22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

OriAl

My friend swapped out my 32 bit motherboard for a 64 bit Asus MA489GTD Pro motherboard.  Bios was set for native IDE for the controller.  After motherboard change, nothing would boot.  Boot Manager on drive 1came up, but when eCS (1.2) was selected, the computer immediately rebooted every time.  Not even a glimpse of the eComStation screen.  XP showed the Windows screen, then died.  Both are on disk 1.  Ubuntu 8.04, which I had on a small second drive and had looked at occasionally, showed the welcome screen, but died soon after.  

I'm currently on a reinstall of XP on a new drive.  My friend has my other drives, motherboard, and cards, and plans to build a test machine with them to see if the OS's will still boot with the old configuration.  I'd like to get at least my old eCS on old drive 1 working with the new motherboard.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

ivan

You did update the Dani drivers to the latest before you tried to boot off the new system didn't you?  If not you will have boot from CD and add them.

ivan

Fahrvenugen

In addition to the Danis driver(s), make sure you're on the latest kernel.  Try the 14.104a_uni kernel from

http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/

I seem to recall eCS 1.2MR shipped with an earlier kernel that didn't have all the stuff to work on 64 bit processors.

And, depending on what video driver you were using, you'll possibly have to revert back to VGA mode to make it work.

Andi

eCS2.0 is shipped with/will install SMP kernel and there are reasons for that I do not remember any more. Suggest you try the SMP kernel not the UNI.

Fahrvenugen

The reasons that eCS 2.0 shipped with the SMP kernel is for multi-core / multi-processor support and ACPI.

It is true that the SMP kernel will work with a uni processor, *but*, to use the SMP kernel you'll need the SMP-enabled Doscall1.dll from WsEB, otherwise you'll probably get a trap error.  It is possible to find this file within the public WsEB fixpaks on IBM's ftp sites.

And even if it is a multi-core processor, the cores may not be recognized unless you have the os2apic.psd or the acpi driver (shipped with ecs 2.0)

On the other hand, the Uni processor should work.

OriAl

I believe I had updated to the latest Dani driver when it was released, but with my memory, I could be wrong.  

The eCS version should be 1.2R.  I thought I had kept up with all fixes.  

Thanks for the ideas - I'll pass them on to my friend.

Assuming I get eCS booting, is there a driver for the Realtek 8111E LAN chipset?

DougB

QuoteAssuming I get eCS booting, is there a driver for the Realtek 8111E LAN chipset?

You need to know the PCI identifier. Something like "10EC:8168". PCI.EXE will tell you that information.

Chances are good that GENMAC will support it (possibly in UNSUPPORTED mode), but there is probably a better chance that the new Realtek NIC driver, that Mensys is developing, will support it (when it is ready).

FWIW, the SMP kernel (with proper supporting software - DOSCALL1.DLL - which comes with the SMP kernel) should work for all Pentium, and up, systems. Sometimes, it is even a good idea to run a single processor machine in SMP mode (Add "/SMP /APIC" to the ACPI.PSD line in CONFIG.SYS). My ThinkPad (T43 1871-W8M) works better that way.

RobertM

And finally, keep in mind that multiple components may need to be upgraded at the same time to prevent other issues. JFS, SMP, DOSCALL1 and some networking stuff (sockets/stack related) should be replaced with the prerequisite versions each requires. Usually the readme files that accompany the downloadable versions of each component will tell you what other components need to be upgraded, and to what level they are needed. For instance, a great way of causing problems for oneself it to upgrade the original JFS without upgrading the original kernel.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

OriAl

Switching to the SMP kernel sounds complicated.  I'd rather get what I have booting.

RobertM

Quote from: OriAl on 2010.11.21, 02:08:48
Switching to the SMP kernel sounds complicated.  I'd rather get what I have booting.

OS2MT/eCSMT and (someplace out there - Hobbes I think) make it pretty painless. Starting with the kernel and it's related files (which can be found in a package) and continuing from there is usually a safe bet.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

OriAl

Even if I (or my friend) get the needed files,  how would eCSMT be used if eCS won't boot?  IS eCSMT usable from the CD?

I admit to being totally lost.

Andi

I vaguely remember I couldn't install one of the 2.0rc versions because of the UNI kernel. I think I filled a bug for that. Solution was - using SMP kernel. Your problem reminded me the troubles I had at that time and so I suggested SMP instead of UNI cause it was definitely the solution. On the other hand, if you've a working system with UNI kernel and don't want to benefit from the extra cores you already bought you can stick with UNI or W4 kernel if you like.

RobertM

Quote from: OriAl on 2010.11.22, 21:28:02
Even if I (or my friend) get the needed files,  how would eCSMT be used if eCS won't boot?  IS eCSMT usable from the CD?

I admit to being totally lost.

Sorry... should have replied in more detail...

IF you have another eCS or OS/2 machine, you can use eCSMT/OS2MT to download the files you need and then extract them. Boot your non-working eCS install from the CD and go to commandline and add/replace the needed files, and modify the config.sys

Failing that, search Hobbes for the necessary files, read the readme files to ensure you have all the prerequisites, and install them onto the non-bootable system in the same fashion as above. They should mostly be packaged in zip files, so you can do this one on any machine that has a zip/unzip utility.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

OriAl

I can't find any kernel files on Hobbes when I search for SMP.

If we put the old drive with eCS back in my machine, maybe I can just install eCS 2.0?  If that succeeds, is there a way to get my desktop from the 1.2 boot partition?

IBManners

Hi,

Kernels can be found here :-
http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html

and several other websites.

I thought I had it some were but cant spot it at present, a file with a quick
walk thought of whats needed to change from a UNI to a SMP setup.

Cheers
I am the computer, it is me.