• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

major trouble after motherboard swap

Started by OriAl, 2010.11.18, 03:22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: IBManners on 2010.11.28, 09:08:06
Hi,

Kernels can be found here :-
http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html

and several other websites.

I thought I had it some were but cant spot it at present, a file with a quick
walk thought of whats needed to change from a UNI to a SMP setup.

Cheers

I too am looking for it. There's a kernel installer out there that actually will swap all the required files. I've used it before, so I know I have it someplace, but still cannot find it.

If I dig it up, or figure out where I found it, I will post here.

-R

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Instructions (ie: the commands to execute) are located in the latest kernel's readme file. Ensure you have zip support on the system.

(for SMP) If memory serves, you will need SMP version of DOSCALL1.DLL, and OS2APIC.PSD, and the files that come in the kernel pack.

Boot off CD, have the files handy and unzipped. Follow the instructions in the readme that comes with the kernel (that will replace all the necessary files in that respect).

Install OS2APIC.PSD, add it to the config.sys file thusly:
PSD=OS2APIC.PSD /p:1

Replace DOSCALL1.DLL

Doubt the SMP versions of DOSCALL1 comes with eCS... but you will need to find the most recent versions of those two files (DOSCALL1 and OS2APIC).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

OriAl

Would it be better to try to migrate eCS 2.0 onto the partition on the other drive that currently has my non-booting eCS 1.2 (I have a backup clone of that partition on the same drive?)  Being that I have the eCS 2.0 CDs, and was going to install it anyway, it seems that might be a way to go.  2.0 should boot on 64 bit motherboard, I would hope.

RobertM

Quote from: OriAl on 2010.11.28, 21:20:00
Would it be better to try to migrate eCS 2.0 onto the partition on the other drive that currently has my non-booting eCS 1.2 (I have a backup clone of that partition on the same drive?)  Being that I have the eCS 2.0 CDs, and was going to install it anyway, it seems that might be a way to go.  2.0 should boot on 64 bit motherboard, I would hope.

Probably, as SMP will then be an option. And it should work with a decent number of 64bit motherboards.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

OriAl

Thank you.  Are there any installation tips I could use?  I will have the current drive with XP, as well as the drive with eCS.  There are several HPFS partitions on that drive - I would want to migrate 2.0 to the first partition.  My memory is so bad, I can't remember how I installed 1.2.

RobertM

Quote from: OriAl on 2010.11.30, 04:19:04
Thank you.  Are there any installation tips I could use?  I will have the current drive with XP, as well as the drive with eCS.  There are several HPFS partitions on that drive - I would want to migrate 2.0 to the first partition.  My memory is so bad, I can't remember how I installed 1.2.

Please explain a little more about your setup:
(1) PHY drive setup (qty, location of XP, location for eCS)
(2) Partitioning information (how are you managing multi-OS boot? what partitions exist (or will) on each? what filesystems exist (or will) on each?)
(3) If you are not sure if you had to install additional drivers for the original eCS install, list some hardware specifics (chipsets, CPU, video, NIC, etc)

Best,
Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Fahrvenugen

Quote from: RobertM on 2010.11.28, 09:58:48
Instructions (ie: the commands to execute) are located in the latest kernel's readme file. Ensure you have zip support on the system.

(for SMP) If memory serves, you will need SMP version of DOSCALL1.DLL, and OS2APIC.PSD, and the files that come in the kernel pack.

Boot off CD, have the files handy and unzipped. Follow the instructions in the readme that comes with the kernel (that will replace all the necessary files in that respect).

Install OS2APIC.PSD, add it to the config.sys file thusly:
PSD=OS2APIC.PSD /p:1

Replace DOSCALL1.DLL

Doubt the SMP versions of DOSCALL1 comes with eCS... but you will need to find the most recent versions of those two files (DOSCALL1 and OS2APIC).

Hi,

For those files, you can find the SMP version of Doscall1.dll from the WsEB / Warp 4.5 fixpak xre_003, which is still available from IBM.  Of course, the license for this fixpak does require you to have a licensed copy of WsEB.  However it has been reported that these files also work on eCS, and it is available on anonymous FTP from IBM.

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_e003/

You'll need disks 10, 13, and 14.

10:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_e003/xr_e003a.zip

13:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_e003/xr_e003d.zip

14:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_e003/xr_e003e.zip

From the readme file (on disk 1):
   OS2APIC.PSD   OS2APIC.PS_    14    02/13/2002  14:23    31232  CD86A06D
  DOSCALL1.DLL  DOSCALL1.SM_   10    02/13/2002  14:21   144387  E2D6BF8B
   DOSCALL1.DLL  DOSCALL1.UN_   10    02/13/2002  14:12   137445  44BCBD46
   DOSCALL1.SYM  DOSC1SYM.SM_   13    02/13/2002  14:21    43828  7FF7880A
   DOSCALL1.SYM  DOSC1SYM.UN_   13    02/13/2002  14:12    43476  BED7692E

You'll need to expand the .??_ files, obviously the .sm_ is for the smp kernel, the .un_ is for the uni processor kernel.  You'll need the DLL and the SYM files for Doscall1 and the PSD driver.

OriAl

Quote from: RobertM on 2010.11.30, 04:28:04
Quote from: OriAl on 2010.11.30, 04:19:04
Thank you.  Are there any installation tips I could use?  I will have the current drive with XP, as well as the drive with eCS.  There are several HPFS partitions on that drive - I would want to migrate 2.0 to the first partition.  My memory is so bad, I can't remember how I installed 1.2.

Please explain a little more about your setup:
(1) PHY drive setup (qty, location of XP, location for eCS)
(2) Partitioning information (how are you managing multi-OS boot? what partitions exist (or will) on each? what filesystems exist (or will) on each?)
(3) If you are not sure if you had to install additional drivers for the original eCS install, list some hardware specifics (chipsets, CPU, video, NIC, etc)

Best,
Rob

It was two drives before.  eCS and XP were on the first, an old Ubuntu install I rarely looked at was on the second drive (I'm not worried about that.)  Boot Manager was used.  There are lots of HPFS partitions - C: - L:.  C: through I: are 2 G each, J: through L: are 20 G each.  Also two hidden 2 G partitions.  XP was on a 57 G NTFS partition at the end of the drive.  That's the drive I will get back and want to migrate eCS 2.0 onto C:.  

Both drives were IDE.  Current drive is IDE.  My friend is trying to copy my eCS drive onto a SATA drive.

The motherboard was an Abit KX7-333 with Athlon 2600 CPU, ATI Radeon Video Card, Intel NIC.  No sound - I had uninstalled SBLive driver. SNAP graphics.

Right now, I have one drive with XP on a 100 G NTFS partition.  We know boot.ini will need to be edited.

New motherboard is Asus MA489GTD Pro.  Chipsets are   North Bridge and AMD 890GX South Bridge AMD SB850.
Video is ATI Radeon HD 4290.  Audio is Realtek ALC892. NIC is Realtek 8111E.  CPU is AMD Athlon II X4 640.

This is the url of the new motherboard in the machine, if that helps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=m4a89gtd_pro-_-13-131-631-_-Product

OriAl

I haven't gotten my eCS drive back yet, so nothing has been tried.

OriAl

If my friend builds a computer with my old drive, motherboard, and add-on card cards, will he be able to migrate 2.0 onto my 1.2 boot partition using the SMP kernel option?  If so, would that 2.0 install work with my new motherboard (it has ATI graphics, like my old video card, and I was using SNAP?)

OriAl

We're still stuck.  My friend hasn't had much chance to work on things.  I thought I could use DFSEE to create an HPFS partition on the IDE drive I currently have (100G NTFS XP install on it, and a good amount of free space), and try to install 2.0 clean to it, with Bootmanager.

Right now, Windows is not finding my external floppy drive.  Actually, it finds the drive (says TEAC USB drive), but doesn't operate it (no floppy drive under drives, can't access it from command prompt.)  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, checked for updated drivers, scanned for new hardware, but no joy.  I need that just to try an install - my eCS key is on a floppy. 

RobertM

Well, the floppy shouldn't be a deal breaker for the install. You can manually type the key, or move the file to the CD (a copy of the CD) with an ISO editor.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

OriAl

Update - I got 2.0 to install on my current drive.  I can't do anything with it, however.

> I used Dfsee to delete both the 1992M and BM I had created w/ Dfsee,
> >booted the 2.0 CD, started install, used miniLVM to create BM first (at
> >beginning of Freespace), then a 1992M bootable partition.  No LVM error.

> >I continued installation, and it worked.  I have no network connection
> >or printer or sound, but eCS 2.0 does boot, and so does XP.  So, the 64
> >bit motherboard and multi-core CPU aren't the problem, apparently.

One minor problem - before Boot Manager appears, I get an error message "Drive 1 is not ready."  I only have one hard drive at the moment.  Hitting a key continues the boot to BM.

I told my friend this, and he's bringing back my old disk to see if we can find a way to get 2.0 to recognize the partitions on that drive, and allow me to migrate 2.0 over my old 1.2 setup.  We already know 1.2 won't boot on this motherboard and CPU.

I don't know if 2.0 doesn't recognize Dfsee-created partitions as installable, but Jan van Wilk says that has never been a problem.

DougB

QuoteI don't know if 2.0 doesn't recognize Dfsee-created partitions as installable, but Jan van Wilk says that has never been a problem.

I have seen it. It happened on my Lenovo ThinkPad T510, with 500 GB disk. It seems to be the result of Win7 creating an incompatible geometry, that eCS simply refuses to (can't) use. From what I have seen, it is caused by 32 meg cylinders. I got around it by fooling windows into thinking that it was installing to a smaller disk (but my method probably won't work for your situation). See:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/doc/Taming_Win7_v0_1.zip
which tells you what I did about it.

DFSEE was able to create partitions, and I could even use the eCS install CD to format them, as JFS, but MiniLVM complained about a partition table error, and refused to enable the install. I also cannot restore eCS data to such a geometry. It starts, but fails quickly, and the data that did get restored is scrambled. I did use DFSEE to wipe the whole disk, and then create new partitions, and then eCS would install, but I never found a way to make Win7 work with that setup. WinXP also had trouble.

Quote"Drive 1 is not ready."

I have seen that too. In my case, it is caused by trying to boot with a USB disk, that doesn't have a boot system on it, attached at boot time. IMO, that is a flaw in the BIOS boot code. However, you may be seeing something different. One possible fix, is to disable Legacy USB mode, in the BIOS. That will disable the use of USB keyboard, and mouse, until the proper drivers get loaded though. A PS/2 keyboard will work.

Quotebooted the 2.0 CD, started install, used miniLVM to create BM first (at beginning of Freespace),

It has been my experience, that it is always MUCH better to put Boot Manager right at the very end of the disk. Doing that allows you to make the first partition a primary for windows, with enough room for a hibernation file (if you can get that to work). So far, I have never had any luck with hibernation, unless it can build a file on a FAT, FAT32, or NTFS, drive, that is FIRST on the disk. Even windows doesn't work if it can't find the room on the fist primary. If you put BM at the front of the disk, that is the first primary, and it certainly doesn't have either the room, or the file system, to allow a hibernation file to be created. Placing BM at the end of the disk keeps it out of the way, and it works, as long as you have the BM that supports the I13x extensions, AND, the disk is something less that about 500 GiB. BM does have problems with larger disks, no matter where you put it. It does work, but it doesn't get set up right.

QuoteWe already know 1.2 won't boot on this motherboard and CPU.

It probably will, if you have every update, that is available, installed.

Quoteallow me to migrate 2.0 over my old 1.2 setup

Personally, I have never seen a migration install worked anywhere near correctly. On the surface, it seems to be a good idea, and it looks like it works, but under the covers, it leaves a terrible mess, that you will probably never be able to clean up. I also find that it is MUCH faster, and easier, to simply re-install all of the software, than to try to figure out what the migration install did, or didn't do, when it did the migration. You will need to re-install some of it anyway.

QuoteSo, the 64 bit motherboard and multi-core CPU aren't the problem, apparently.

So far, all 64 bit CPUs can run in 32 bit mode, and OS/2 has had multi CPU support for a long time.

My bet is that your main problem is the geometry on the disk. You will probably have to wipe it clean, and recreate the partitions, preferably using either MiniLVM, or DFSEE. You will likely have problems with that, if the disk is larger than about 500 GB too.

OriAl

I now have my old drive back - it's the second drive on the controller.  The 2.0 install does see all the HPFS partitions on it, with proper drive letters.  However, I really need to migrate, as there are apps for which I no longer have install disks which are installed in 1.2 (I'd also like to find all the files folks have mentioned which are needed to get 1.2 to work on this motherboard - if I try to boot 1.2, the system immediately resets.)

So, assistance with migration is greatly needed.  I've tried it a couple of times, but I don't get internet connectivity (my Intel Pro 10/100 NIC is still connected) or printer access.  I do have a router attached.  I don't recall the names or ip addresses network install asks for (if I could get 1.2 working, I could see them.)  It does find the 10/100 as well as the built-in NIC, and installs Genmac for both.)

I have a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball (I'm disabled, so it's easier than a mouse), so I don't need the Amouse driver that's installed.  I also have a tape drive, and still used Fastback to back up eCS 1.2.  I was using SNAP graphics, but I understand Panorama is better for 2.0, so I went with that in the test migrations.  I also have an external tape drive, but Dfsee for OS/2 can't access it (DFseewin does, so I can save partition images of eCS on it.)

For some reason, I can only install or migrate 2.0 onto drive 1, the primary.

I'm not booting with a USB disk, so that shouldn't cause "Drive 1 is not ready, press a key" before Boot Manager appears.  I can move BM to the end of the disk using DFSEE, though XP is already the first partition on drive 1.