• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

major trouble after motherboard swap

Started by OriAl, 2010.11.18, 03:22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Hi OriAl,

A couple of comments. 
The Kensington Expert Mouse trackball works with the Amouse driver with out any problems - I know because I use them both, been using a trackball from the days when we had massive units that had either 4" or 6" balls - in fact I hate mice.

Since you can see your old drive use a file manager like FM/2 or File Freedom to look at each of the directories of your old installed software.  Some of them may have cmd files for restoring the desktop objects.  If so you can then copy those dirs over to your new drive and create the objects - no migration needed.  If they don't have scripts for recreating the objects, all is not lost because you can create them manually.  The only possible problem you may encounter is if the install program has put some DLL in an odd place but even this can be checked by starting the program from a command prompt - it will tell you what it can't find if it does not run.

I assume your router is set up to be a DHCP server therefore you shouldn't require to know anything - just say it is DHCP and the network install should get the necessary address from the router.  If on the other hand your router is set up for fixed addresses then you need to look in IBMCOM and IBMLAN and MPTN\ETC for the necessary information.

I can't say much about the eCS install as we don't have it here but I have recently built an AMD Athlon II x4 box and shifteb over everything from the box it replaced via the NAS (saved having to mix IDE and SATA drives).  All I did was a fresh install of WSeB and then copied everything from the NAS  ran ROBO RESTORE  and had 99% of the desktop back as it was, a couple of manual object creations solved the remainder.

For you information I'm using SNAP graphics driver and a 28" 1920x1200 monitor - see pics of mboard and monitor.

OriAl

Will Amouse allow me to set the top buttons as locked down?  I need that setting.  Kensingnton's driver has that setting.

What is NAS and Robo Restore?

I'm still going to play with migration, but should I use Easy or Advanced Install?

ivan

Not sure if Amouse will specifically lock down buttons so I would suggest you install it first then you can install the kensingnton driver over it if necessary.

NAS - Network Attached Storage, in my case a D-Link 343 with 4 x 1.5 TB drives in double raid setup.

Robo restore is the restore part of Robosave an IBM Employee written software tool for backing up and restoring the desktop.  I've been using it from my OS/2 2.1 days.

I have never used the easy install path with OS/2, or any other operating system, because I want to know what is going on and have some control overs what is done.  I assume eCS will give options on what you can install using the advanced path therefore use that.

ivan

OriAl

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2010.11.19, 06:50:36
In addition to the Danis driver(s), make sure you're on the latest kernel.  Try the 14.104a_uni kernel from

http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/

I seem to recall eCS 1.2MR shipped with an earlier kernel that didn't have all the stuff to work on 64 bit processors.

And, depending on what video driver you were using, you'll possibly have to revert back to VGA mode to make it work.

I'd like to get my 1.2 booting, on a separate partition, while I try to get 2.0 working (if I knew what I was doing, it would help, I admit.)  I've downloaded the 14.04a uni kernel, and danis506187 (though I thought I installed that already), as well as what I think is the latest SMP kernel and the Doscall and related files mentioned for it in the thread.  I don't need it to recognize multiple cores, if 1.2 would work without it.

When I tried to boot 1.2, the system immediately reset.  Does that immediacy hint at the exact cause of the problem?

Andi

QuoteWhen I tried to boot 1.2, the system immediately reset.  Does that immediacy hint at the exact cause of the problem?
Not for me. Beside I miss what 'immediacy' mean, do the boot blob appear (white rectangle on the top left corner)? Is there a altf2on.$$$ file in the root dir and you still see no single driver loading? Does ALT-F1/F2 work?

But if I re-read your first post and see that neither Win nor Linux boots I would say you've a major hardware problem. RAM, power supply....?

Or did you succeed with Win or Linux in the meantime?

Maybe it's worth to summarize your findings till now and start a new thread with a short overview what you've tried. At least for me it's hard to follow all the posts in this thread till now.

RobertM

Quote from: OriAl on 2011.03.10, 23:11:24
Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2010.11.19, 06:50:36
In addition to the Danis driver(s), make sure you're on the latest kernel.  Try the 14.104a_uni kernel from

http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/

I seem to recall eCS 1.2MR shipped with an earlier kernel that didn't have all the stuff to work on 64 bit processors.

And, depending on what video driver you were using, you'll possibly have to revert back to VGA mode to make it work.

I'd like to get my 1.2 booting, on a separate partition, while I try to get 2.0 working (if I knew what I was doing, it would help, I admit.)  I've downloaded the 14.04a uni kernel, and danis506187 (though I thought I installed that already), as well as what I think is the latest SMP kernel and the Doscall and related files mentioned for it in the thread.  I don't need it to recognize multiple cores, if 1.2 would work without it.

When I tried to boot 1.2, the system immediately reset.  Does that immediacy hint at the exact cause of the problem?

If this is a newer system, chances are you will need the ACPI drivers that come in eCS v2 for SMP support to work. The standard OS/2 method only supports SMP systems using the MP1.4 or earlier specifications (and even in those cases, certain systems that add extensions to that (ie: no longer MP1.4 compliant) will not work properly).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|