• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

New eCS 2.0 Computer

Started by craigm, 2010.11.19, 17:32:17

Previous topic - Next topic

craigm

Hello everyone again!

My Dual Pent 3, though working well, is getting long in the tooth and I wanted to upgreade. Well my brother hooked me up big time and gave me an unused server.

So I formated the hard drive (123 gig drive) and tried to load eCS 2.0.

At the screen where it asks you to start the install from the CD or just load from the Harddrive the keyboard would not work. If I went into the Bios the Keyboard worked fine.

The Keyboard is USB and the Mouse I put on PS/2 connector.

I found that when the eCS 2 screen where it gives me the choice of booting from the CD or harddrive I can change the choice via the mouse.

I did this and once eCS 2.0 loaded to the install screen the keyboard and mouse worked fine.

I installed eCS using the standard settings and everything looked great, I rebooted and all I get now is the curser flashing at the top left hand side of the screen right after the bios gets doen booting up.

This computer has been a Windows XP server for over a year with no issues so I doubt its a hardware issue

I took some hardware readings:

<<< System Summary >>>
 > Mainboard : Supermicro X5DPL
 > Chipset : Intel E7501
 > Processor : Intel Xeon @ 3066MHz
 > Processor : Intel Xeon @ 3066MHz
 > Physical Memory : 2048MB
 > Video Card : ATI Technologies, Inc. RAGE XL PCI
 > Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y120P0 (123GB)
 > CD-Rom Drive : TEAC CD-224E
 > Monitor Type : ViewSonic VA2012wSERIES - 20 inches
 > Network Card : Intel 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
 > Network Card : Intel 82550/1/7/8/9 EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Ethernet Adapter

More info on the MB can be found here: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/E7501/X5DPL-TGM.cfm

I really want to use this computer so any help would be great. Thanks!

Blonde Guy

Change your BIOS so your keyboard works. That old computer will run eCS just fine after that.

If you live in a place with expensive electricity like I do, consider getting a laptop to use as your main box. The electricity from a server like that would cost way more than a new laptop where I live.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

craigm

I looked everywhere in the BIOS and the manual, I have not seen any settings to change for it to notice the keyboard

ivan

You need to look for something in the BIOS about legacy usb if you are using a usb keyboard.

ivan

craigm

Thanks Ivan, that got the keyboard and mouse working correctly.

Unfortunately, that did not fix the freezing up after eCS installs and makes it's first reboot. I have gone over the bios and turned off the network cards, floppy, and ACPI.

I then reinstalled eCS 2 using just the standard install and not adding anything else.

Once it reboots from the first part of the install it just just shows the curser flashing at the top left of the screen...blah.

Any other ideas?

craigm

I Have been installing using JFS so I thought I would try and install eCS with HPFS...

...still just that damn curster at the top left of the screen.

RobertM

Quote from: craigm on 2010.11.20, 14:32:59
I Have been installing using JFS so I thought I would try and install eCS with HPFS...

...still just that damn curster at the top left of the screen.

I have seen this before where there's something weird in the MBR or partition table. If that's possibly the case, try this:
Wipe the disk of all partitions and the MBR (use dfsee), try re-installing, but install boot manager in the beginning of the disk, then create a boot partition and try again.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

craigm

Thanks but I found out why eCS died on my after the first step of the install was done.

After Step one the computer wants to reboot to start step 2, what happened is I left the CD in the Try per normal so it would find CD 1 with no problem. Well by luck I had it out once and it booted up no problem. All I had to do then was put the CD back in so it continued to install.

Weird.

eCS is running great now!