• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Mplayer plays the sounds but does not show the images/movie.

Started by eilygre, 2010.11.19, 00:43:28

Previous topic - Next topic

eilygre

I can hear the music/talk, but Mplayer does not display the images. I have tried with DVD, AVI from my own camera and .AVI coming with GA.
In stead of the movie it displays a "list" with info 4-5 times each second. It seems like info about buffering (percentage) and times (seconds) etc. Before starting, during compilation, Mplayer display a lot of info, and between other things an error message: Terminal type 'unknown' not defined.
Could anyone give a hint of how to get a bit further?

Pete

Hi eilygre

Sounds like you may not have mplayer configured for your system.

You want to have a look through the mplayer config. file - usually in %HOME%\.mplayer - and check video output is set correctly for your system.

Below is my mplayer config file, the lines starting with # are treated as comments:-

# Write your default config options here!
cache=12288
cache-min=30
#ao=kai
#ao=kai:uniaud
ao=kai:dart
#vo=kva:wo
vo=kva
#vo=kva:dive
#vo=kva:snap
user-agent=NSPlayer/4.1.0.3856
dvd-device=w:

ao is audio output; I'm using kai:dart as uniaud does not work here
vo is video output; Here vo=kva uses the SNAP overlay as it is available on my system. The commented lines can be used to force dive or snap output modes.

Maybe you should try setting vo=kva:dive as that should work.

You may also want to investigate smplayer - ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/smplayer/smplayer-0_6_9-b2.zip - which provides a "frontend" to mplayer but requires the qt4 runtime support files http://svn.netlabs.org/qt4

An alternative to mplayer is vlc http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/vlc-1.0.5-beta1.zip

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Hiya! Just in case you're not familiar with working with such config files, let me expound on Pete's answer:

#vo=kva:wo  <---- COMMENTED/REM'd OUT AND NOT USED
vo=kva  <---------- IN USE
#vo=kva:dive  <---- COMMENTED/REM'd OUT AND NOT USED
#vo=kva:snap  <---- COMMENTED/REM'd OUT AND NOT USED

To switch between video "handlers" simply comment out the ones you are not trying to use, and uncomment the ones you are (or add a new one). Don't leave 2 or 3 or more enabled. The comment symbol, as you probably guessed, is #, which should be at the front of the line. Only one vo line should be uncommented for virtually any configuration. If the one you need (probably the one Pete suggested) isn't there, then simply comment out all existing ones, and add the one you need (sans #).

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

eilygre

Thank you all of you.
I had the config file "right", but I had to install a newer version of Mplayer. Now I can see the video, but with no sound. I guess I  have to test with different config-settings.
But now the real problem is with Smplayer. The last version (beta 2) will not start. The icon is grayed for a few seconds and then goes back to "normal". I now have installed an older version (WPI), but that one will give a lot of error messages (C:\var\temp\smplwpi_no.msg cannot be found)  during install (WarpIn) and after installation all icons in the folder have got similar long names. I can start it, but it will not start Mplayer. After a short time the whole PC hangs --> reboot.
Any suggestions?.

ivan

Hi Eilygre,

Have you looked at VLC (on hobbes)?  It does require QT4 runtime to be installed.

I could never get SMplayer to work on the three computers I tried it on so I ended up using KMPlayer from the command line until VLC was ported.

ivan

diver

????? SMPlayer not working? which versions did you test. and what was not working?
you are the first telling me it does not work.

regards
Silvan

RobertM

Quote from: diver on 2010.11.25, 10:52:39
????? SMPlayer not working? which versions did you test. and what was not working?
you are the first telling me it does not work.

regards
Silvan

Possibly entirely related to the mPlayer problems he's having. I'd expect that those problems would also translate directly to SMPlayer as applicable to whichever version of mPlayer is in use and what config file settings are in place.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|