• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

ext2 driver in eCS

Started by smiley, 2010.11.30, 16:49:05

Previous topic - Next topic

smiley

Does ext2 driver from hobbes(dates 1997) work with eCS, have tried but failed, stops on booting, does something has to be changed in order for driver to work?

lpino

It won't work on:
- Warp 4 fix13 or superior (or any MCP)
- Warp Aurora (eBusiness) or superior

IIRC, this is due to changes done to the kernel to support JFS (KEE)

This applies to other software too, like System Commander from Stardock.

Regards

smiley

Thanks for info.

Since the driver is so old, was there never any need/interest to do some new version?
One driver that is for windows is open source...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Is there any other possibility for sharing files from win/eCS/linux other than FAT32?

the main problem for me is that even in windows for opening certain directories with large amount of files it takes 1-2 seconds.
So I was thinking about alternatives and ext2 would determinately be better.

Radek

FAT32 partition seems to be the only possibility. AFAIK, there is no Linux HPFS driver. eCS version of JFS is not enough compatible with Linux, and the archaic ext2 driver you have found is the only ext2 driver available in OS/2 and eCS. Moreover, ext2 is rather archaic, too, the current "ext" is ext3 and ext4, so that you could experience problems with an ext2 driver.

I am running a "multiboot" Debian - eCS machine and I use a 5 GB FAT32 partition for passing files between Debian and eCS. I haven't seen any problems.

ivan

It is possible to read and write to HPFS partitions from Linux - has to be compiled into kernel - but we don't have anything to see any of the Linux file systems, at least nothing I have been able to find.

ivan

smiley

I have installed Puppy Linux on one partition and it works out of the box with JFS partitions, no problem mounting and writing file to it and it all works great.

(Puppy linux is a special build from Ubuntu and tailored to be small and fast and very low on resources, great for old machines)

The only thing I have found is to have a VM with linux installed that reads the disk and share this to the windows host, that way one can read JFS partitions from Windows. But I did not try it yet.

RobertM

IIRC, JFS for Linux has an "OS/2 Compatibility Mode" to ensure compatibility with the OS/2 implementation. Or at least, I know it was designed into it and implemented in the original releases that were migrated into the Linux kernel (around 2.4? my recollection is kinda spotty as to exactly when in Linux time).

As I only occasionally use Linux, and not really in a mixed environment that requires drive sharing (I use network shares), I am not sure what methods/steps are required to enable that compatibility mode. I suspect that if such a mode is enableable, it should perform pretty well for the scenario you want, especially since LinuxJFS is ported from the OS/2 sources (unless the plethora of OS/2 JFS fixes renders some portion incompatible, but I cannot recall any OS/2 fixes that should affect it in such a manner).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

abwillis

I have dual boot OS/2 and Ubuntu and Ubuntu can read/write the OS/2 JFS but I have not successfully read the Ubuntu JFS drives.  There is no Windows JFS driver.  Linux can read/write HPFS but Windows does not have a very capable HPFS driver (size limited and I've read many reports of it not being reliable in anything past NT 4).  It would be handy to have the OS/2 ext2 driver updated (my understanding is that it can read/write ext3 even but without the journaling, though I don't know the accuracy of that).
There are some folks that are happy that Windows cannot read/write JFS but I would really like a Windows port of JFS.

RobertM

To create an OS/2 compatible partition use the -O parameter when you format the partition.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|