• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Could this be ported to OS/2?

Started by RobertM, 2010.12.03, 01:07:37

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey all,

Could this be ported to OS/2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_General_Parallel_File_System

Just curious. It would be nice... for a number of reasons.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

melf

Well, that file system seems to be enough for future needs ;-) .
/Mikael

RobertM

Quote from: melf on 2010.12.03, 14:40:49
Well, that file system seems to be enough for future needs ;-) .

Yup, that's what I was thinking - that and there's a Linux port...  ;)

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

miturbide

About GPFS I don't know it technical details. AFAIK it was very common on AIX for cluster installations.

But it is open? is some source available so it can be ported? I didn't found anything about that on the wikipedia page.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

RobertM

Quote from: miturbide on 2010.12.03, 16:16:21
About GPFS I don't know it technical details. AFAIK it was very common on AIX for cluster installations.

But it is open? is some source available so it can be ported? I didn't found anything about that on the wikipedia page.

The Linux implementation apparently is:
http://www.techarena.in/news/4641-ibm-opens-gpfs-file-system-linux.htm

-R

PS: Saw you on Wikipedia (JFS article)

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi

From what I read I do not think this filesystem is aimed at desktop/laptop systems; more for use by clustered servers.

I also do not see any links to download source from so guess that IBM will be selective in disbursing source code. I have no doubts that IBM would not consider OS/2 a suitable operating system for this filesystem.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2010.12.03, 17:27:41
Hi

From what I read I do not think this filesystem is aimed at desktop/laptop systems; more for use by clustered servers.

I also do not see any links to download source from so guess that IBM will be selective in disbursing source code. I have no doubts that IBM would not consider OS/2 a suitable operating system for this filesystem.

Regards

Pete

Clustered servers is exactly what I had in mind... there was once this company that wrote a really neato piece of software that almost no one ever heard of, and probably only a handful of people ever played with. Let's call it "Directory and Security Server"... let's say it supported WAN domains, and a whole bunch more, and that the OS they wrote it to - the only one capable of handling such things at the time... also supported via such software and other software written for it... clustering.

FOURTEEN+ years ago. Shortly after that, a server was built, equally elusive. We'll call it "the x430" for short... the company in question liked to call it (at least in written pubs) "eServer xSeries 430" and that server was to support 64 CPUs, as one node, or segmented/partitioned into machines, etc. Let's assume there was only one PC based OS on the planet that supported it - while another company had promised their 64 CPU release quite some time before, leaving said original company sitting on a few very expensive servers that only one OS (that they were barely supporting, advertising, etc) would run on (unless the server was partitioned to hell).

Sorry... just a little annoyed that IBM and OS/2 were so far ahead back then, and much of the stuff is lost (with a lot of that stuff either never heard of and/or never used by those who've seen and used OS/2 for many years). There was sooooooo much more too. The OS/2 projects IBM dropped in various stages of completion (from fully complete to pre-alpha and everything inbetween) is quite large.

Anyway... I thought it (GPFS) would be a good idea for eCS Server.  ;D

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|