• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox for eCS

Started by Dennis, 2010.12.02, 21:29:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

Looking for a link to download Firefox for OS/2 or eCS. Do I have to purchase that version from Mozilla?

Also, once I get Firefox loaded under eCS, can I use Google? If so, is it the same as under windoze? What differences might I find?

What is the best email app to use under eCS? Will there be any problems with reading email that may be sent from a windoze email app?

Thanks for your help.

RobertM

Firefox for OS/2 is free, and you can usually find the link on the OS/2 World Home Page (or archived in the software section).

In this post, you will find the links to Firefox, Seamonkey and Thunderbird. Make sure you read the prequisites (versions of GCC, etc):

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/20351/2/

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi710

Hi Dennis,

you can get firefox and related mozilla apps at numerous places, most recent versions here:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/firefox-20101030.zip is minefield (Firefox4 beta8) - not 100% yet but bleeding edge.

With regards to e-mail, it depends if you need/want HTML mail or not. If yes, you get Thunderbird at the same location at netlabs.

If you want to stick to plain text and have a great user interface for extremely efficient processing of email using keyboard and keyboard shortcuts, look for PMMail at
http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2

To register PMMail, you need to enroll wiht VOICE and pay the yearly fee. In my opinion 100% worth the money.

Usage: All email and browsing can be done with eCS. IF you need HTML mail, use Thunderbird (PMMail will handle the emails as well, but won't display fonts, colors, embedded pictures etc.). Google works with firefox just fine. Only issue are plugins. Most of all Flash, where version 10 is still under development (some tech preview alpha is available, but tends to make some problems, most of all on multi-core CPUs).

Other plugin-based services are not available at all, like google earth. Google maps works fine, however. Streetview only if you have flash installed (and it does not crash on your computer).

Hope this helps
Andreas

RobertM

Quote from: Andi710 on 2010.12.02, 22:05:38
Google works with firefox just fine. Only issue are plugins. Most of all Flash, where version 10 is still under development (some tech preview alpha is available, but tends to make some problems, most of all on multi-core CPUs).

On that note, ensure you go into your gMail settings and disable their new file/attachments upload tool and select the older one.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Dennis

This is probably a dumb question, but what is GCC?

RobertM

Quote from: Dennis on 2010.12.03, 17:34:55
This is probably a dumb question, but what is GCC?

IIRC, GCC stands for the GNU Compiler Collection. Depending on how an app was compiled, it will need certain libraries. Some come with various apps, some do not. Many OS/2 ports/apps have dependencies on certain ones that only need to be installed once (and are shared by numerous apps/ports). Some such are the libc libraries (most notably libc063) and the gcc libraries. The readme file or web page for the latest OS/2 Firefox (which I have not yet played with) should tell you what you need.

Failing that, one can usually simply try to start the app from the commandline... go into it's executable's directory, type the exe name (in this case, "Firefox" or "Firefox.exe" - your preference), and it will generally tell you what DLL is missing.

And of course, so you dont have a dozen copies everywhere - and so you also dont have different versions (ie: an older one, and a replacement one with a bug fix, etc), drop the DLLs into a directory that's in your config.sys file's LIBPATH line. I tend to create a directory on the root of the boot drive named "DLLs" and drop all new DLLs in there that did not come with OS/2. Of course, I also added that directory to my path statement as well, so each app can find the dlls they need.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|