Poll

How should Mozilla focus & prioritize Thunderbird?

According to Option 1
1 (25%)
According to Option 2
3 (75%)
According to Option 3
0 (0%)
None of above
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 2007.09.08, 10:48:59

Author Topic: Mozilla doesn't focus on Thunderbird  (Read 2549 times)

kimhav

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Mozilla doesn't focus on Thunderbird
« on: 2007.07.30, 10:48:59 »
Based on posted entry at Mitchell's blog where he talks about that Mozilla wants to get ride of Thunderbird from the Mozilla portfolio; how do you see the future for Thunderbird? OS2 World posting can be found here - http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14789/2/.

miturbide

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • OS2World
Re: Mozilla doesn't focus on Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: 2007.08.01, 15:47:49 »

Well, it's hard to know the final results, but possible this can be good for thunderbird. I like it as my main e-mail client at home, but I think that it can be improved a lot more compared to comercial solutions like Lotus Notes and MS Outlook. Possible a new organization can focus more on the email/colaboration area than Mozilla. Let's hope everything goes ok.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

kimhav

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #2 on: 2007.08.01, 20:16:43 »
Just curious, but what features are you missing out when comparing with Outlook?

bjorso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007.08.02, 13:26:56 »

Mozilla Thunderbird was at first probably not intended to compete with Microsoft Outlook, rather with Outlook Express. Later enhancements with calendars makes it more competitive than from the beginning. I believe that sort of extensions is was companies look for, not a plain mail client. For personal use it is already all you could ask for.

It's difficult to say how Mozilla.org decision will change the position for Thunderbird but I am personally not worried, it's so popular already.   

//bjorso