• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Netbook with Realtek RT8167 and Ralink RT3900E_C2 macs...

Started by NNYITGuy, 2011.01.13, 23:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hi All,

I hope everybody had a good holiday!  Mine was blessed with family and friends... :-)

I am working a a netbook project.  The netbook had a Realtek GBE RTL8167 at 10/100/1000 and a Ralink Tech RT3900E_C2 wireless adapter at 802.11bgn.

Used GenMac v2.20 and it found both macs and identified the Realtek RTL8167 as an RTL8168 and the second was recognized but had no association of a supported mac/NIC.  So I used the RTL8168 recommended. I then rebooted and was up to the familiar DHCP IP address request that eventually time out. The Workplace Shell started and then turned on the DHCP monitor to check the obtained address. The DHCP monitor never acquired an a
ddress.  I then tested another box on the router that had the DHCP server turned on and the box received a proper IP and pings were used to verify the configuration. I then set the eCS v2.0GA with the GenMac RTL8168 to a static address that was in the range of the router that had the DHCP server.  I could ping the router and other addresses on that router. I could use firefox to bring up the webadmin of the router.  I tried DHCP config on the TCPIP configuration utillity again and rebooted.  Still no address during boot or after Workplace Shell started.

I need DHCP for this.  I need this netbook to be operational soon. I really want to use this technology with the VirtualPC and use it for my mobile development platform. Does anybody have a solution for me. I would actually prefer to use the Ralink Tech wireless. I have downloaded the latest GenMac and tested that specifically with no recognition either with the Ralink Tech mac.

If someone proposed to me the development of the Ralink Tech RT3900E_C2 and/or the Realtek RTL 8167 as a GenMac or a hybrid driver, I would be thrilled!

TIA,
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

RobertM

Can you post the [vendor:device] ID info for the RTL8167? GenMac should support it properly as that card, but it's looking for [10EC:8167]

Further testing on this card in static mode may require you manually set up the routing.

As for the Ralink, there are Linux drivers available. I'm presuming it'd have to be ported.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DougB

The RTL8167 is supposedly supported by GENMAC 2.20, but that isn't always foolproof. You need to use the PCI.EXE program to show exactly what the device is. I think there may be an error in the setup files for the 8167, so show us what ended up in your \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI file too.

The Ralink may also work, in UNSUPPORTED mode with GENMAC, but we need to know what PCI.EXE has to say about that too, and then you need to be very lucky.

FWIW (not much, at the moment), there is a new driver being developed, that should support the RTL8167. When that is released, it will probably work with your system. This project is to be made available (at netlabs), so that others will be able to support other devices (like the Ralink). Apparently, what they did, was use the OS/2 end of the NVETH driver, and match that to the device end of the Linux driver, to make a new driver for OS/2. So far, the INTEL 10/100/1000 series of devices is supported, and released, so the idea does work.

HTH...

rwklein

A new Realtek gigabit driver is in the pipe line it will be released on svn.ecomstation.nl/multimac.

Realtek screwed up! They released new chipsets revisions under the same vendor and chipset ID. Some of the drivers we use don't work! Windows users have the same problem.

I should have the driver in my mailbox on monday! Then it needs internal testing which can take a week or so. Then we can release it to the world.

Andi

There was a discussion on the genmac news list and AFAIR the problem with the RTL816* and DHCP is that the NIC does not return a MAC address to Genmac and then when tryint to get a IP address from DHCP server with MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 does not succeed on various setups.

AFAIR someone made a hack for that. Maybe you search on the netlabs.genmac.user list.

melf

/Mikael

Blonde Guy

This is a kind-of off the wall solution, but try the Realtek RTL8169 MAC driver. Add to this list of parameters in Protocol.Ini the following

NETADDRESS="6CF04961B91D"

but put in your own Mac address in hex. If it works, good, but you should still try the MultiMac driver whenever it is released.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

NNYITGuy

Thank you everyone! Just had a long go of it. While trying the mac insertion technique listed above, the netbook wound up not booting at all properly and was a mess and unstable. Not sure what happened. Did not have time to fully explore.  I pulled the hard disk and placed it into the image server and reset the C partition. I kept a copy of the damaged C to possibly explore while it failed later when I have time for it.

I really am hoping for the MultiNic technology.  Sounds really good from what I have read! I tried Neil's recommendation and it worked and the RTL8167 based nic found its DHCP with the RTL8169 mac of v1.13 supplied with eCS v20GA. Thanks Neil! I also tried the DHCP from within VirtualPC/2 and DHCP still did not work.  I found that I needed a different approach anyway when I am at client sites with my development system.  I now have a small router and wireless bridge that will get me to the internet and client networks without constraining where I need to put my development equipment down.

I am up and running for now even though a bit confined from my original goal.  I will come back later and chat about the wireless side and the PCI info on the NICs...

Thank you again!
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)