• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Java / OpenJDK 1.6.0-b19 Beta 2

Started by miturbide, 2011.01.16, 15:22:29

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

I started some light test on the OpenJDK 6   1.6.0-b19 beta 2.

First I removed the "/SMP /APIC" from "PSD=ACPI.PSD /SMP /APIC", since java was crashing in SMP (and it is also written down on the readme.os2). Modified the Path and libpath.

I tested SnakePit java game. (or Schlangengrube 1.2)
http://java-apps.org/content/show.php/Schlangengrube?content=70925

The game shows sound errors on startup:
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/schuss.wav
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/treffer.wav
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/zusammenfallen.wav
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/schlange_getroffen.wav
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/levelup.wav
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/gameover.wav
Sound-error: /schlangengrube/sounds/explo.wav

The GUI loads fine and the game starts.

But the mouseclick action it is not working to launch the balls to the track.

Very interesting and good for a Beta.

Does anybody know a way to capture the text that shows up in the java command prompt ? I want to capture the error that shows when I click the mouse and nothing happens.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Pete

Hi Martin

You may find digital camera the best way to capture the text - at least you can then post an image to those interested.

As for myself: I'll wait until java6 claims to be SMP capable before trying it again.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.01.16, 15:22:29

Does anybody know a way to capture the text that shows up in the java command prompt ? I want to capture the error that shows when I click the mouse and nothing happens.

Small errors, copy and paste. Larger errors can be "logged" by redirection STDIO and STDERR to files on disk.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

CDRWSel

Quote from: Pete on 2011.01.16, 17:34:58
Hi Martin

You may find digital camera the best way to capture the text - at least you can then post an image to those interested.

As for myself: I'll wait until java6 claims to be SMP capable before trying it again.

Regards

Pete

Same for me, waiting SMP capable before trying it again...
All newer (may be older too) systems are now SMP  

Same is true for flash !
Always crashes in SMP mode

I didn't hear much about flash updates...

These are important and long waited products   ;)

Andi710

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.01.16, 15:22:29

If it's not too much putput, I usually use DragText to copy the text from VIO window.

Cheers
Andreas

abwillis

Once SMP is fixed for either Java or Flash it would of course fix it for both.  That is one advantage of using Odin, updates for one is updates for the other, and for other things potentially as well. 

Blonde Guy

Polarbar mailer: displays everything but the message window.

SmartSVN, gets started, but crashes. Doesn't really work on Java 6 on other platforms, though.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Paul Smedley

For those users with SMP systems and seeing hangs in java.exe after program termination, does running 'execmode java.exe" and marking the executable as a single processor app help?

Pete

Hi Paul

Yes, marking javaw.exe as single processor helped with the 1 app (a game, Sudoku) I tried.

Regards

Pete

miturbide

Im trying to run Azureus / VIZE, but I have no luck.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/

[X:\USERS\MARTIN\DOWNLOADS]java -jar vuze_4600.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/cl
i/ParseException
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.cli.ParseExcepti
on
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
Could not find the main class: org.gudy.azureus2.ui.common.Main. Program will ex
it.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

DougB

Quotedoes running 'execmode java.exe" and marking the executable as a single processor app help?

Yes, and no. It does work better, but it still has trouble. I find that I need to turn off all but one processor (MPCPUMON.EXE will do it), when running some JAVA programs. However, this is not a new problem. I have had the same kind of problems with JAVA 1.4.2_09, and with JAVA 1.5.0_07. It would be good to get the problems fixed, but I am suspicious that it might be the JAVA programs themselves that are at fault.

Joachim

Quote from: DougB on 2011.02.03, 08:15:19
It would be good to get the problems fixed, but I am suspicious that it might be the JAVA programs themselves that are at fault.

This is probably not true, most of the SMP problems are caused by Odin. They are under investigation and should be resolved, fixing Flash 10 stability issues as well. Have a look at http://svn.netlabs.org/odin32/search?q=smp if you're interested.

Regards,

Joachim

RobertM

Quote from: Joachim on 2011.02.03, 11:46:06
Quote from: DougB on 2011.02.03, 08:15:19
It would be good to get the problems fixed, but I am suspicious that it might be the JAVA programs themselves that are at fault.

This is probably not true, most of the SMP problems are caused by Odin. They are under investigation and should be resolved, fixing Flash 10 stability issues as well. Have a look at http://svn.netlabs.org/odin32/search?q=smp if you're interested.

Regards,

Joachim

Considering the underlying Windows architecture of the time was not designed for "SMP everything", I do not envy the work you guys need to put into this, especially since I have at least a little understanding of what's going on behind the scenes.

For those who don't know some of the Windows and OS/2 specific nature of the problem, Windows itself does not utilize SMP for applications, unless the application is specifically written for it and can utilize it. On the other hand, OS/2 uses as many CPUs as it can for anything - even numerous monolithic apps (even a monolithic app that calls on OS/2 subsystems can take advantage of SMP simply because various OS/2 subsystems do - some tests show a 30-60% increase in performance in single threaded apps that utilize such subsystems). So... when you are using an ODIN wrapper to OS/2 calls that (the OS/2 calls) will probably be handled on multiple CPUs, it can create all sorts of problems, since the apps themselves were never designed for it. Even the ones that were, are designed for an entirely different method of SMP implementation.

(Speculating) It probably is requiring the gang to do a lot of work "linking" the Windows method to OS/2's mutex semaphore and spinlock handling. Not an easy task, I am sure.

I for one am dying for everything ODIN related to be SMP stable and SMP safe.Of course, with the advent of very few non-SMP machines in this day and age, it is something VERY important, but I am patiently waiting because I do have some understanding of the work involved (and I have been seeing progress in this area, meaning that hopefully, we'll be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel).

Anyway, thanks for the update Joachim!

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|