• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenOffice now LibreOffice?

Started by Andi710, 2011.01.27, 17:11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi710

Libreoffice 3.3.0 just got released - and brings WordPro import filters. Doesn't this suggest to switch over to LibreOffice for eComStation and OS/2 as well?

CDRWSel

It would be nice since the free open source changed from OpenOffice to Libre Office ...     

CDRWSel

Do you know Yozo !  ( a windows office clone based on java, I think )
   http://en.yozosoft.com/

A web online version is available
http://www.yozoweb.com/en/static/login.html

xchris

Yozo is windows/linux only as I see, I mean how can work under OS/2?

Andi710

Quote from: xchris on 2011.01.28, 17:08:40
Yozo is windows/linux only as I see, I mean how can work under OS/2?
You can use the web version.
However, there are multiple options for web-based offices (google etc.), none of which have any impact as a substitute for MS and Open Office so far. I think keeping the OOo (or now LibreOffice) port up to date, adding JAVA (for wizzards) and text drag-and-drop is higher priority.
Once this is done, we can live with this office suite for another 3-4 years.

Pete

Hi

Nice to know someone can work with a current OpenOffice for OS/2 release.

I'm still using OO115 for Windows running using aros2.exe because I find OO311 is simply not usable. OO311 cannot do simple things such as create a Label without crashing - and the Support is absolutely *useless-.

I doubt that switching to porting LibreOffice will bring any improvement - and, no, LibreOffice will not run using Odin or ar5os2.exe.

If I get to a situation where I need a more up to date Office suite than OO115 I'd better look at sacking eCS and installing linux.

Regards

Pete

Andi

Crashes I had most times are shared memory problems. Since using Seamonkey 2.x this should be better now. But upgraded to OO3.2 too. And do not heavy work with OO. So can't really say it's stable or not. Only that 'not usable' is not true for me. It works pretty well for my tasks with spread sheets with diagramms.

Regarding support I partly agree with Pete - wouldn't say it's 'absolutely useless' but 'non existent'.

hecom

I used oo115, oo311 and now oo32. Latest version supports docx and xlsx files and is useful for documents received from the MS Office users. Sometimes OO crashes but not too often and I successfully use it. I installed OO on Windows XP too, but it isn't any more stable. Version 3.2, unlike 3.1, is missing some filters to import images.
Regrads
Davorin

cytan

I've also used OO on MacOSX and it also has problems. It's really hard to separate what is the port's fault and OO fault.

Pete

Hi

I doubt that these crashes are shared memory problems as they happen when OpenOffice is the only app open on the Desktop. Using Thesus shows no obvious problem with shared memory.

Also, I can happily run OO320 for Windows in a WindowsXP VPC guest session *without* all the problems that OO311 has - no, I have no intention of purchasing a subscription in order to get the latest non-working OS/2 version of OO.

The OO311 crashes I see are the same every time: Try to create a Label or Business Card and OO crashes - every time.

I'm not a top programmer but as these actions are guaranteed to cause OO311 to crash every time it looks to me that there is something wrong with the code in use.

Andi: If the support is non-existent then my statement that it is absolutely useless must also be valid - probably more so in that support have basically stated that they are not interested in this problem as OO works fine for most people.

I am so pissed off with the support that I do not see myself purchasing any future releases of eCS and am currently perusing alternative operating systems to see what I could possibly get on with.

Regards

Pete

melf

I know you've had problems for a long time Pete. Personally I use OO (3.2) every day. It's often running eight hours per day, without closing down. I experience no crashes at all. The same goes for creating labels and business cards (i.e. no crashes). I understand that you problem must be really frustrating, but I wonder how representative it is for the eCS release?
/Mikael

DougB

QuoteI have no intention of purchasing a subscription in order to get the latest non-working OS/2 version of OO.

Unfortunately, that may be the fix for your problem, but you will not know, until you try it. OO 3.2 works pretty good, for me (much better than 3.1 did), of course, it should work even better once they get JAVA 6 working with it (there is no JAVA support without that). Meanwhile, the wizards are not going to work.

BTW, OO 3.1 is included with eCS 2.0 (not the cheapest versions), but there is an upgrade to OO 3.2 available for download, for those who qualify.

QuoteThe OO311 crashes I see are the same every time: Try to create a Label or Business Card and OO crashes - every time.

I cannot duplicate the problem (of course, I may be doing something completely different, and I am using v 3.2), and you seem to be the only one who has that problem. Seems to me that there must be something unique about your system, or the way that you are trying to create the business card, or label, that is causing the crash. Of course, a properly written program (there may be one, somewhere), would not crash, and it would tell you exactly what went wrong. A really good program (I am pretty confident that there are none), would rewrite itself to fix the problem.

There are now a couple of alternatives for word processor programs. Two, from the QT project, that seem to work are FocusWriter, and GoodWord, but I haven't used them enough to really say that they work well.

Support is a whole different bag of snakes. Support, is on a best effort basis, by the users, and whatever else you can pick up from other sources (support for Linux ports can often be found in the Linux forums). Unfortunately, Mensys is very limited in what they can do for support, but that is the way it is.

As for the name of the program, they can call it whatever they like, as long as it works.

Pete

Hi Doug

If only the damn application would create a log when it crashes so that the problem could be looked at by those involved in porting OO.

However, there does not seem to be anyway of getting a crash log - I notice in the docs for the app it states that a log will be produced if the app crashes. Either the docs are wrong or that is something else wrong with the app.

Support have no idea how to generate a crash log either.

Maybe I'll give OO32 a try - but only if I can return the software if it still has the same problems.

Regards

Pete

DougB

QuoteIf only the damn application would create a log when it crashes

It probably does. The question is, where does it put it, and what does it call it? I expect that it will be in the %HOME% stuff somewhere, if a log does exist. From doing some quick googling, it sounds like a crash wizard is supposed to pop up when you restart after a crash, but it seems that wizards are dependent on having JAVA working, so it probably doesn't work with OS/2, yet. It may also depend on whether it is the actual OO code that is failing, or if it is the stuff that was added for OS/2. It could also be the older JAVA, if you somehow got that linked to OO.

You might try setting up PROCDUMP, to see if it catches anything. Make a directory on the disk with the largest free space (X:\PROCDUMP), to contain the resulting dump (if any). Make a program icon on the desktop, and set:
Path and File name  = PROCDUMP.EXE
Parameters = ON /L:X:\PROCDUMP
Run the PROCDUMP program (it will start and terminate, and leave no tracks, other than it will cause a dump file to be created in the X:\PROCDUMP directory when ANY program causes a dump, so you may need to watch the time of failure to get the proper dump file). Run OO and create the problem. If it creates a dump (it will play a note), send that in. If it doesn't, the problem is probably in the OO code itself. You can put a shadow of the PROCDUMP icon into the startup folder, to start that automatically when you boot, but you probably don't want to do that, in this case. After you get a dump, do the command PROCDUMP OFF to turn it off.

QuoteMaybe I'll give OO32 a try - but only if I can return the software if it still has the same problems.

Contact Mensys. They are usually pretty good about things like that. However, it depends a lot on exactly what the problem is, whether it will work, or not.

I did find another google hit, that indicated that OO may have problems with available fonts. You may try playing with that. I also googled, to find the record of your problem. I found nothing, but that is probably because it is in the Mensys news groups, which don't show up on google. How, exactly, do you produce the problem? As I said, I don't seem to have the problem, but I may be (most likely am) doing something entirely different from what you are doing.

Pete

Hi Doug

I'll have to look into using procdump and see if that shows anything.

Creating the crash is very easy: Select File, New, Labels (or Business Cards) and instead of the label applet appearing OO crashes every time without fail

You should be able to find my bug on the ecs bugtracker  http://www.ecomstation.com/support/tickets/ticket_view.php?FormValue_TicketID=3113&FormValue_Email=losepete@ntlworld.com

Regards

Pete