• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS v2GA - Questions for hibernating the OS...

Started by NNYITGuy, 2011.01.28, 23:49:32

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hello,

I have a NetBook that I have successfully installed eCS v2.0GA upon. I use VPC/2 for my must have Windows sessions.  I want to used hibernating for eCS v2.0GA.  My install disk is HPFS and secondary partitions using JFS. I can setup a dedicated FAT partition for the old way of hibernating if needed.

TIA,
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

DougB

Hmmm. What is the "Netbook"? The answer to your question heavily depends on the answer to that question.

For example, I have an antique IBM ThinkPad A22e (2655-67U), that hibernates perfectly, when using the old APM support, and using the BIOS settings to do it. It does require a FAT, or FAT32, PRIMARY partition, big enough to hold the memory, plus a few other things, as the FIRST partition on the drive (don't put Boot Manager at the front of a drive).

I also have an IBM ThinkPad T43 (1871-W8M), and a new Lenovo ThinkPad T510 (4313-CTO), that won't hibernate no matter what I try (actually, I quit trying, because I almost couldn't get the T43 going again after trying to hibernate it - I had to pull the CMOS battery for 20 minutes to get the CMOS to reset).

If your machine happens to be old enough to still have the old APM support in the BIOS, it might work (but probably not with ACPI installed). If it happens to be one of the models that the ACPI developers happened to have, it might work with ACPI. Otherwise, I would put the chances of having it successfully hibernate, near zero.

One suggestion, is to try to get suspend/resume to work, before you try to get hibernate to work. If s/r won't work, neither will hibernate.

NNYITGuy

Hi,

Have there been any updates that I have missed for successfully hibernating of eCS?

Thank you,
Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

DougB

QuoteHave there been any updates that I have missed for successfully hibernating of eCS?

I don't think so, but I may have missed something too.

The ACPI project is still struggling to try to get suspend and resume to work on the majority of systems. Hibernation is a whole new adventure, after that works.