• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

100 M$ Windows Vista/XP Idiosyncrasies

Started by Terry, 2007.08.03, 04:31:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

What are the top 100 M$ Windows Vista/XP Idiosyncrasies that you have uncovered?

We here at OS/2 World Forum have long-known that while M$ Windows is the most effectively-marketed operating system - It is not the most stable operating system - Which is why we went to OS/2 and eComStation.

(Let us keep the points short, crisp, and to the point without any well-deserved rants)

1. Windows XP Registry becomes conflicted & requires a fresh operating system install (disk-drive wipe) at least annually.
2. Windows Vista "User Access Control" (UAC) must be turned off to prevent constant install interruptions and registry corruptions.
3. Windows Vista reminds you every boot-up that you are "no-good" because you had the gall to turn off the UAC.
4. Windows Vista GUI suddenly "flashed on & off" while destroying every registry program icon link(s) and much more necessitating turning off the UAC to begin with, and the UAC-induced problem never occurred again, requiring a fresh operating system install.
5. Windows XP "Genuine Windows" update is sticky patch, and tells you that you are a "no-good" even when you are using a bonafide copy of M$ Windows software.
6. Windows XP changes program file extensions (like PDF to DOC) for program file recognition without asking you permission to do so.
7. Windows Vista changes graphics & media file extensions to proprietary windows programs after you have installed non-M$ graphics & media programs instructing windows to recognize the authority of those non-M$ programs.

The first (7) points were so-ooo easy and I only stopped here so the rest of you could have a crack at it!

Radek

8. Inefficiency. "System Windows" starts for years and when it starts finally, it turns your machine into a heat source.
9. Inefficiency. Winblows is slow, it locks hundreds of MB of your RAM and swaps your apps in the rest of memory.
10. Bloating. 2000 cannot be installed on a partition less than 3G, eXtreme Problems cannot be installed on a partition less than 8G and the partition becomes full quickly. I have no experience with VISTA (Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Troians, Addware) and I am not keen to get it.

obiwan

11. Sluggish, unpredictable responses to mouse clicks if you move too fast.
12. Secret mouse move for renaming files: easy by accident, never used on purpose, dangerous on live servers.
13. Ambiguous confirmation dialogs: "Are you sure you want to overwrite 'important' with 'important'"?
14. Excessively verbose error dialogs with erroneous advice on how to resolve the problem.

Terry

15. Windows XP just started to re-cycle to the "Safe Mode Boot/Normal Boot" screen regardless of a hard boot or a soft boot. Every once in a while WinXP forgets this new behavior and decides to boot normally.

The motherboard gives three beeps as it cycles to this screen. You generally have no choice but to let WinXP go through its "new & improved" 1-2 extra minute(s) boot-up. WinXp either shuts down with a process it does not like to see and/or WinXP refuses to tell you what process to go after in the registry and/or WinXP feels "it secures greater self-esteem" by taking over the system boot-up more than usual.

The only final solution will be an eventual WinXP operating system "fresh install & drive wipe" which is a ritual to be expected at least annually.

16. Applications specific to occupational requirements (financial services in my case) are programmed to only run on WinXP (Fat32/NTFS) "for maximum efficiency."

17. Applications required for occupational requirements are not necessarily programmed to run on Windows Vista (my new laptop) now essential for work in the field, and; cannot be certified "Vista Capable" even though Vista has NTFS like WinXP.

18. Windows applications are now programmed to NET specifications anymore. There are currently no less than (3) specifically-required NET versions on deposit on my hard drive. Does this "NET multiple-personality" provide greater registry-efficiency?